Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma10 View Post
We have been shopping for our first motorhome and like a lot of others we are concerned with making the wrong choice. I have been to the end of the Internet and back trying to find which motorhome is made the best. We want a Class A gas at least 34 feet and would prefer a Workhorse Chassis. We don't want to spend more than $35,000. Any suggestions as to the more reliable coaches?
We bought a 1999 dp 36" discovery for 33,000 with 87,000k in excelent condition, you need to shop around found are on GRAIGS LIST IN OUR OWN TOWN. Good luck

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
If you listen to the "Living the RV Dream" podcast you will hear "buy your 3rd RV first". I think this is great advice. For your price range you can get a good 10 year old DP that drives much nicer than a gasser and the drivetrain will outlast a gasser 3:1.
interesting... my 7yr old gasser drives pretty darn good and has diesel power/torque. Claim longevity all you want... but facts are facts.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #17

No offense to anyone here. I'm offering my opinion, yours may vary
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:30 AM   #18

Thank you, we would really like to go diesel. However, from everything we have read DP's do not get better mpg than gassers. We will be fulltimers and are not mechanically inclined. We have read the DP is a much better ride and stopping alot easier. Thank you.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma10
Thank you, we would really like to go diesel. However, from everything we have read DP's do not get better mpg than gassers. We will be fulltimers and are not mechanically inclined. We have read the DP is a much better ride and stopping alot easier. Thank you.
You are not correct in your understanding of the relative mpg of gassers & diesels. In the class A configuration the largest heaviest gas coaches will weight 24,000 or less and be powered by a V10. The mpg you can expect will be in the 6-7 range. The lightest diesel coaches are about the same weight and will be powered by a Cummins ISB. The mpg you can expect will be in the 10-12 range. The reality is that a 40,000 pound diesel coach with a 400-500 hp engine will return about the same mpg as a 24,000 pound gas coach with a 400 hp gas engine. The diesel will ride on an air bag suspension and the noise of the engine is 35' behind the drivers seat. The diesel makes its torque and horsepower at much lower rpm than a gas engine so you won't have to contend with the sound of an engine revving at 4000 rpm between the front seats. The diesel, way back behind you is turning at 2500 rpm.

A gas coach is great for a family who will use it 2-4 weeks during the week with some long weekends thrown in. The average trip may be a couple of hundred miles. If you are considering full timing, do yourself a service and look closely at going for an older diesel coach rather than a newer gas coach. You will be much happier.

The above are my opinions backed up by 6 years of full timing.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
Well, if you're looking for popular opinion on gas coaches, Tiffin & Winnebago are usually the first mentioned, though there are many good ones out there. Not sure what can be had for 35,000, but one of the many very helpful souls on here will probably be able to help.
I agree!
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Everyones taste is different We are very happy with our National Dolphin Find what you like and go with it
Old 11-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All I can offer is an opinion and you know what they say about them...
After driving gas motorhomes for 25 years, I finally bought a used diesel pusher. It didn't take 10 minutes behind the wheel and I knew that I would never go back to a gasser. The ride, the handling and braking were all it took to convince me that I had been kidding myself for all those years, not to mention the difference in power. I have since traded up twice to the Itasca Meridian that I have now and that I think we'll keep. Trust me though, you can't beat a diesel!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was just enjoying the thread, and wasn't going to comment. My HOLIDAY RAMBLER 2000 model year 40 ft coach is a diesel. It was my first MH, and we will full time next year. It is easy to drive, very quiet and comfortable, and gets over 10 mpg. If you are not mechanically inclined like you said, it won't make any difference if you have a gasser or diesel pusher. You will have to take them in for service. The yearly maintenance with fluids and filters is probably 500 a year on diesel, and like I said, if something breaks you are taking it in regardless of your choice.

There are many 35-40 ft diesel pushers in your price range. If you are planning on traveling a lot, and towing a car, you will be much happier with a diesel pusher. If you are going to really full time, but sit in one place for 6 months at a time, you should just get a 5th wheel trailer, and pay to have it hauled to wherever you are staying.

I hope I open up a big can of worms here lol!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #24

Class A gas vs diesel

Well here goes. Just another opinion. If you are going for a diesel pusher make sure you have it checked out thoroughly before buying. Or you better have very deep pockets, because when they go wrong it is costly. Besides, if you are travelling in the U.S. diesel gas prices are up to 50 cents a gallon more expensive which far exceeds the extra mileage per gallon you receive. No doubt the diesel is quieter in the older model class A motor homes. Not so in the 2010 and up models. The road noice is the same in both. In any case make sure that you do have a qualified mechanic check the unit out. Don't have the friend of the owner check it out. In a private sale the unit is being sold for a reason. Sound like a bit of sour grapes, well your motor home is a big investment, you don't want to have the fun taken out of it by buying yourself a lot of problems.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvwood
Well here goes. Just another opinion. If you are going for a diesel pusher make sure you have it checked out thoroughly before buying. Or you better have very deep pockets, because when they go wrong it is costly. Besides, if you are travelling in the U.S. diesel gas prices are up to 50 cents a gallon more expensive which far exceeds the extra mileage per gallon you receive. No doubt the diesel is quieter in the older model class A motor homes. Not so in the 2010 and up models. The road noice is the same in both. In any case make sure that you do have a qualified mechanic check the unit out. Don't have the friend of the owner check it out. In a private sale the unit is being sold for a reason. Sound like a bit of sour grapes, well your motor home is a big investment, you don't want to have the fun taken out of it by buying yourself a lot of problems.
Not that I am planning on upgrading, my present MH should last us for many years. I am curious why a 2010 or newer DP would be noisier than an older one? It makes me wonder why anyone would ever upgrade.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #26

Here's my 2 cents. I have a 2011 gas Georgetown that I just bought in August. Second Moho. Weekend warrior with the common one or two long trips a year. Love the amenitites that Georgetown provides as standard compared to many gas and some DP's. That being said, if DW and I were full timing there is no question in our minds we would've gone diesel. Besides the power, air ride and brakes that everyone touts about them, to us it seems that everthing else in a DP is of better quality. It does not matter what company you look at, if they have gas rigs up into the DP catagory the DPs are their "top of the line models". Cabinets, floor plans, amenitites, upholstry, heat and cool system, shore power and inverters, better appliances, basement stowage etc., you get the idea, just are better in a DP(because I don't own one this is only our opinion). Don't know how good of a shopper that you are so remember, if you have 35K to spend, shop up to, say the 60k asking price, and don't be afraid to throw a low price at some one, couched with the old "don't mean to offend you" but this is all I have in cash line. Someone will jump on your line if you are patient and have the time to shop. Good Luck and Happy Travels in your search.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #27

Which is the better made Class A?

I want to thank you all for your comments and advice. We have received a lot of good information,that we didn't know and can definitely use! Thank you!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma10 View Post
I want to thank you all for your comments and advice. We have received a lot of good information,that we didn't know and can definitely use! Thank you!
heres some real good advice DO NOT BELIEVE anyone that tells u they get 10 or 12MPG on their diesel unit as it does not happen