Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut

heres some real good advice DO NOT BELIEVE anyone that tells u they get 10 or 12MPG on their diesel unit as it does not happen
If you have a 400-500hp coach, you are probably right, but a lot of us with the 275-350 hp coaches get that kind of mileage. I'm sure not everyone does, and I haven't towed yet. My trip from Tucson to Cleveland got it, eve with running the Genny a few times. YMMV

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvwood View Post
Well here goes. Just another opinion. If you are going for a diesel pusher make sure you have it checked out thoroughly before buying. Or you better have very deep pockets, because when they go wrong it is costly. Besides, if you are travelling in the U.S. diesel gas prices are up to 50 cents a gallon more expensive which far exceeds the extra mileage per gallon you receive. No doubt the diesel is quieter in the older model class A motor homes. Not so in the 2010 and up models. The road noice is the same in both. In any case make sure that you do have a qualified mechanic check the unit out. Don't have the friend of the owner check it out. In a private sale the unit is being sold for a reason. Sound like a bit of sour grapes, well your motor home is a big investment, you don't want to have the fun taken out of it by buying yourself a lot of problems.
There is a whole lot of the above post that I don't understand...it is obviously written by a gasser owner. Why would you have a diesel checked out any more thoroughly than a gasser? Of course it's costly when they go wrong...it's very costly when any vehicle goes wrong. A diesel will outlive a gasser by hundreds of thousands of miles, and if properly maintained should be much cheaper to run than a gasser. MPG alone proves that.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
There is a whole lot of the above post that I don't understand...it is obviously written by a gasser owner. Why would you have a diesel checked out any more thoroughly than a gasser? Of course it's costly when they go wrong...it's very costly when any vehicle goes wrong. A diesel will outlive a gasser by hundreds of thousands of miles, and if properly maintained should be much cheaper to run than a gasser. MPG alone proves that.
My particular coach came in 3 varieties (same floor plan). 2 gas and a diesel option.
If we look at MSRP alone... the diesel was $50k more (sticker was $130k on mine) Sure a its a nice option... but I know for a fact you aren't operating ANY diesel vehicle on the cheap. I know this because I just axed the last of our fleet diesel pickups (22 all told) which have been a financial blackhole the past decade and a half to fuel,operate & maintain.
I also know this because my closest friend in the world runs a very busy diesel truck shop that has bought him a beach home, boats, exotic motorcycles, and summer trips to Italy.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd
I also know this because my closest friend in the world runs a very busy diesel truck shop that has bought him a beach home, boats, exotic motorcycles, and summer trips to Italy.
Your friend is living my plumbers life but I don't advocate for out houses. Not suggesting that gassers are outhouses - just that both have built a good business and beyond that I don't know what it says for today's plumbing or diesel power. Now my jag mechanic - that guy is making a killing on a empty promise. We should all be glad Jag doesn't make a gas Motorhome cause it would look great while silently falling apart before you very eyes. And yet - I still have two.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Your friend is living my plumbers life but I don't advocate for out houses. Not suggesting that gassers are outhouses - just that both have built a good business and beyond that I don't know what it says for today's plumbing or diesel power. Now my jag mechanic - that guy is making a killing on a empty promise. We should all be glad Jag doesn't make a gas Motorhome cause it would look great while silently falling apart before you very eyes. And yet - I still have two.
this is true. More power = more problems.
My friend does thank Ford, Cummins, Caterpillar, and Mercedes for providing him an endless line of revenue.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:39 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd

this is true. More power = more problems.
My friend does thank Ford, Cummins, Caterpillar, and Mercedes for providing him an endless line of revenue.
Your friend obviously works on trucks. There are a lot more miles covered ( guess 10 times) by diesels than gassers so you obviously get more servicing and repairs on diesels than petrol driven trucks.
You really can't use the above analogy to promote petrol power.
Diesels are more expensive out of the box and I guess when they fail may be more expensive to repair. Generally a 750k - 1m miles will see you with a major rebuild. I don't know what to expect from a gasser as I've never owned one.
I have down graded my boat to a 9.5 m cat with petrol with legs. Justification, fuel is irrelevant to me based on usage these days now I have a motorhome.
I couldn't have afforded to run the previous boat on petrol at 47ft and 16 tonnes.
So applying this logic Low miles it makes no difference and you get to keep some cash in your pocket vying a gasser but if you plan to see the country spend the extra dough and by a diesel.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:38 AM   #35
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I went Class A shopping with a friend this week. As far as coach integrity is concerned, I found Winnebagos to be more solidly built. The doors were stronger, the cabinets better built and inside noise seemed less than other brands.

They have been in the business for a long time. If I ever trade mine in it will be for a Winnie.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Just bought so I can relate. Looked for 6 months, all kinds...when it came down to it I looked for quality construction, low miles, foorplan Mom could live with. Ended up with 2004 National RV 1341 Seabreeze, like rvmike a few pages ago, found this to be the best combination of what I was looking for. Yes, I know they are out of business, but after much discussion with owners of them, decided that will not really be big issue. Got Ford chassis, no particular reason, could not find any difinitive reason to eliminate either one (Ford vs Chevy)....and with 29,000 miles I got for under 30K in great shape inside, needed much work outside to bring back the shine, but just some work and elbow grease. Bottom line is the buyer has the edge, strong buyers market, look every where, Craigslist, Search Tempest and the online RVsellers, we looked from NY to Fla to find the "right one"...keep looking and select, don't settle.

Good luck keep us posted
Old 11-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
heres some real good advice DO NOT BELIEVE anyone that tells u they get 10 or 12MPG on their diesel unit as it does not happen
what do you base this eroneous assumption on, cause you are absolutely incorrect and misleading, my 5.9 cummins got exactly what you claim does not happen,
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I went Class A shopping with a friend this week. As far as coach integrity is concerned, I found Winnebagos to be more solidly built. The doors were stronger, the cabinets better built and inside noise seemed less than other brands.

They have been in the business for a long time. If I ever trade mine in it will be for a Winnie.
You are absolutely correct! After owning six motorhomes, three of them Winnebago products and three of them other manufacturers, I am 100% sold on Winnebago as a coach for the mid-price buyer. I'm sure that you can find higher quality and more expensive amenities in the higher-end coaches ($400,000 and up) but for what I want, Winnebago is great!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
what do you base this eroneous assumption on, cause you are absolutely incorrect and misleading, my 5.9 cummins got exactly what you claim does not happen,
Iam of the opinion that a 5.9 in a 40 ft diesel pusher is very very underpowered and I do not beleive for a second that you get 10MPG avereage never mind 12 average.If you say u do so be it.I just dont believe such claims.(EG) a friend of mine has a 36 2010 6.7 ISB and gets 8
Old 11-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
If you have a 400-500hp coach, you are probably right, but a lot of us with the 275-350 hp coaches get that kind of mileage. I'm sure not everyone does, and I haven't towed yet. My trip from Tucson to Cleveland got it, eve with running the Genny a few times. YMMV
a 350 cummins got 10MPG average never mind 12? which hill was he going down when that was computed
Old 11-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
If you listen to the "Living the RV Dream" podcast you will hear "buy your 3rd RV first". I think this is great advice. For your price range you can get a good 10 year old DP that drives much nicer than a gasser and the drivetrain will outlast a gasser 3:1.
I don't believe that for 35 k you will find a good ten year old DP. however, I have been wrong before! Look for the DP first and foremost, yes get it inspected by a reliable third party. Will most likely cost 3 to 4 hundred dollars. Have an oil analysis performed to check for bearing wear. Find the coach you both like as you will be living with that floor plan! Best of searches.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
I don't believe that for 35 k you will find a good ten year old DP. however, I have been wrong before! Look for the DP first and foremost, yes get it inspected by a reliable third party. Will most likely cost 3 to 4 hundred dollars. Have an oil analysis performed to check for bearing wear. Find the coach you both like as you will be living with that floor plan! Best of searches.
the OP never said diesel he said gas and he never said how many years old all he asked is what a decent classA gasser for 35K
that,s was what the OP asked.I bought a 2006 37XL georgetown this summer for 38K so there are some deals out there if u look