Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
this is true. More power = more problems.
My friend does thank Ford, Cummins, Caterpillar, and Mercedes for providing him an endless line of revenue.
I have a friend who thanks Ford, Toyota, Kia, Chevrolet, etc, etc. for an endless line of revenue also...he owns an auto repair shop.
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Anything mechanical needs to be fixed. Toyota is about the most trouble free car according to consumers reports, but Toyota Dealerships have very profitable service departments.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
My particular coach came in 3 varieties (same floor plan). 2 gas and a diesel option.
If we look at MSRP alone... the diesel was $50k more (sticker was $130k on mine) Sure a its a nice option... but I know for a fact you aren't operating ANY diesel vehicle on the cheap. I know this because I just axed the last of our fleet diesel pickups (22 all told) which have been a financial blackhole the past decade and a half to fuel,operate & maintain.
I also know this because my closest friend in the world runs a very busy diesel truck shop that has bought him a beach home, boats, exotic motorcycles, and summer trips to Italy.
Tell cuzzin Luigi, Guido in BC says Hi!
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
You are absolutely correct! After owning six motorhomes, three of them Winnebago products and three of them other manufacturers, I am 100% sold on Winnebago as a coach for the mid-price buyer. I'm sure that you can find higher quality and more expensive amenities in the higher-end coaches ($400,000 and up) but for what I want, Winnebago is great!
X2 as we agree with your assessment.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #47

I have looked and looked for a MH. My opinion. A DP is will be on a better more solid chassis. To full time I think is a better option. 35k is not very much when it comes to buying a MH. I agree with the person that said look at asking prices much higher.

If you are set on a gas MH I came to the conclusion that Winnebago builds better than average units. Is a 2000 Winnebago Chieftain better than a 2006 Hurricane...probably yes. But is a 1997 DP better than a 2000 gas Winnebago probably yes.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
a 350 cummins got 10MPG average never mind 12? which hill was he going down when that was computed
I have to differ with your opinions...I had a 2000 Journey 36' with a 5.9 Cummins and across country, I got 11.3 MPG. On my next coach, a 2000 Discovery 37', the best I could get traveling across the country was 9.2 MPG average. My 2006 Meridian 36' with a CAT 350 only gets 8.1 MPG.
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #49

5.9's

Fuel is consumed as a function of RPM and engine size. The 5.9 is very good in this respect. It's drawback is the difficulty in rebuilding it. With a dry sleeve construction it can not be rebuilt in-frame. The 8.3 or the newer 8.6 can have a sleeve replaced much easier. The small cat (3126 and C7) is the same as the 5.9. I have yet to see a 5.9 go more than 350,000 miles, but who puts that many miles on a MH. They may be a bit small for anything bigger than 37 or 38 footer. Bob
BobThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a 330 hp cat. If I drove 12 miles per year for the next 10 years, I will only have about 160k on it. I'll be good, cause I know 10 years is plenty. Hmmm may I'll drive 15 a year?
Old 11-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1
I have a 330 hp cat. If I drove 12 miles per year for the next 10 years, I will only have about 160k on it. I'll be good, cause I know 10 years is plenty. Hmmm may I'll drive 15 a year?
Either this is that new math they tried to teach me as a kid or a k was left out or you like short trips in high mileage CAT.... I'm going with the dropped k.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, the old auto spell on the iPad did it for me! Not Anal enough to proof read.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1
Yep, the old auto spell on the iPad did it for me! Not Anal enough to proof read.
Me either but love a good math puzzle. Was backing 120 out and said - wait a minute...
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:00 AM   #54

which is the best?

Your getting a lot of good advice here...let me add mine... while it's true it would be better to buy a model from a builder still in business consider this. Most of the interior components are very generic. I have seen many of mine in coaches costing 10 times what I paid. what you really need to consider is what all that fiberglass or metal is riding on. there is consumer grade and than there is commercial grade. my coach has a Spartan frame, air brakes, air suspension, eaton axles, a cummins diesel, allison trans, and 22.5 tires. this system is on every Freightliner and Mack truck on the road. My RV is 24 years old and runs like a caddy and handles like a sports car. my advice... look past the frills and buy where the rubber meets the road.
xplorer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxy

what do you base this eroneous assumption on, cause you are absolutely incorrect and misleading, my 5.9 cummins got exactly what you claim does not happen,
Just to back up your point. My Cummins C8.3 consistently gets over 10mpg. The previous owner swore up and down that he got 12mpg. I was also skeptical, but I personally have seen as good as 11.15mpg, and I'm no light foot. I probably could get 12mpg if I drove 60mph like the previous owner did, but I run the speed limit which is typically 70mph on the interstate.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma10 View Post
I want to thank you all for your comments and advice. We have received a lot of good information,that we didn't know and can definitely use! Thank you!
Sorry for the folks who Hijacked this thread concernig the Diesel / Gas opinions. Hopefully you got enough useful information to make a selection.

Happy Rving!
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote