Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #57

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have heard it said that every company, no matter how good, turns out the occasional lemon. And that every company, no matter how bad, the occasional golden nugget.. The difference between the best and the worse is the ration of gold to lemon.

That said: It is easy to answer "Who makes the better motor home"

If you are considering two different makes.. The better made one (According to Murphy's Laws") is the one you don't buy.

Note that it matters not which one you do, or do not buy.. Per Murphy if you change your mind it will STILL be "the other one"

Thus the recommendation (From this devoted follower of Murphy) is get the one you like the best and to heck with worrying about which one is better made.. you will be happier that way. I know I did, turns out mine is fairly well made. Though I did have many screws loose (The kind you tighten with a screwdriver).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
Iam of the opinion that a 5.9 in a 40 ft diesel pusher is very very underpowered and I do not beleive for a second that you get 10MPG avereage never mind 12 average.If you say u do so be it.I just dont believe such claims.(EG) a friend of mine has a 36 2010 6.7 ISB and gets 8
not that it would matter to you but i do take exception to your remarks, my 2000 HR Ambassador at 26K GVW got 12 miles to the gallon on several long 3000 mile trips, believe what you want, thats the facts.

Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #59

I am new to rving as DW and I have owned our first rv since August 2012. After lots of research and looking we picked a 2002 Newmar Dutchstar 3852. Cat 3126 and Allison 3000mh on a Freightliner Custom Chassis. We are both 47 and have 6 children and choose the Newmar based upon comments in this site and lots of looking. There are many fine class a DP's out there and our final decision was made when the seller provided every maintainence record since mile one. I average about 7.5 mpg and find it easy to drive and have put 5000 miles on it since purchase. We drive from our home in Georgia to NC mountains frequently and i get about 6.8 to 7.1 going up and 8.2 to 8.7 comming home and that includes running genny both ways. The purchase decision was based upon balancing manufacturer reputation, condition of the coach, records from seller and my most important of all DW liking the floor plan.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #60

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
my most important of all DW liking the floor plan.
And there's the BIGGIE!!

My parents had an Airstream Excell 500 and a Foretravel so we were looking for a quality rig we could afford. In the RV club we had 12 MH's, one was a Newell, and 6 were Newmars of various models so we were already acquanted with the brand.
If we ever wear this one out we'll buy another Newmar!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #61

Country Coach Owners Club
Ok after looking at 5 paged of opinions I have a suggestion for you. Go to rv.org. Buy their product, read through it ALL. Then go to their rating sections and pick out some coaches that you are interested in. Once you do that you can start looking at coaches with some sense of what is good and what to look for. Each of us has our own opinions on what's the best out there. Remember you are buying a coach that is best suited to your wants, needs, and means. So pay the bucks to rv.org and get an unbiased evaluation and some excellent pointers on what to look for in a coach. It will be the best money you spend on your rv.
I have also found oodle.com to be and excellent choice for looking for what you decided you want to look for. It searches all over the internet to find coaches that fit your parameters and if you check the right boxes it will email daily updates of new listings. You can never know it all but this is an excellent way to get a lot of specific knowledge fast and not have to learn the hard way.
Good Luck, happy hunting, and safe travels.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Isn't this whole thing very subjective? We have a Winnebago and are very very happy with it. Our previous unit was a 23 C Class and we were happy with that until we decided we wanted something a tad bigger to go on longer trips in.

When we made up our mind to go bigger we had a bunch of 'wishes' we wanted and the unit we ended up with fit in to our budget very nicely and it contained the most wishes. DW and I are very happy with it and enjoy being in it as much as possible.

You may end up being happy with another make/model and that's what makes the RV industry so great. Our group has a happy Fleetwood owners, has two happy Winnebago owners, along with a couple of others that I cannot recall the names of at the moment.

Pick well and enjoy.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Isn't this whole thing very subjective? We have a Winnebago and are very very happy with it. Our previous unit was a 23 C Class and we were happy with that until we decided we wanted something a tad bigger to go on longer trips in.

When we made up our mind to go bigger we had a bunch of 'wishes' we wanted and the unit we ended up with fit in to our budget very nicely and it contained the most wishes. DW and I are very happy with it and enjoy being in it as much as possible.

You may end up being happy with another make/model and that's what makes the RV industry so great. Our group has a happy Fleetwood owners, has two happy Winnebago owners, along with a couple of others that I cannot recall the names of at the moment.

Pick well and enjoy.
Exactly. We are happy "vacationers" with our gasser. No need to spend big(ger) bucks for something that is in storage for 90% of the time.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma10 View Post
We have been shopping for our first motorhome and like a lot of others we are concerned with making the wrong choice. I have been to the end of the Internet and back trying to find which motorhome is made the best. We want a Class A gas at least 34 feet and would prefer a Workhorse Chassis. We don't want to spend more than $35,000. Any suggestions as to the more reliable coaches?
As you see you will get lots of opinions. If you'll be parked more than driving, it doesn't make a hill of beans which engine you choose. Pick a floorplan that works well for you and get good maintenance records. Good luck and have fun!

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote