Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #1

Which is the better made Class A?

We have been shopping for our first motorhome and like a lot of others we are concerned with making the wrong choice. I have been to the end of the Internet and back trying to find which motorhome is made the best. We want a Class A gas at least 34 feet and would prefer a Workhorse Chassis. We don't want to spend more than $35,000. Any suggestions as to the more reliable coaches?
Grandma10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma10 View Post
We have been shopping for our first motorhome and like a lot of others we are concerned with making the wrong choice. I have been to the end of the Internet and back trying to find which motorhome is made the best. We want a Class A gas at least 34 feet and would prefer a Workhorse Chassis. We don't want to spend more than $35,000. Any suggestions as to the more reliable coaches?
This question can create alot of opinions. I'll offer mine first. Having owning a MH for over 30 years mostly preowned, I look for a Coach where you can still get parts. For example, I had a 8 year old that got wrecked and had NO problem ordering all the parts for repairs. I have had two different other coaches that were only 3 and 4 years old respectfully and could not order small parts such as a door lens cover. Those brand coaches, I would never own.

Work Horse..... another big question. Since they are no longer in business keep that thought in mine. Also there has been alot of recalls, check and make sure those have been completed.

Good Luck!
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Tiffin

Tiffin products are not any better than any other motorhome but they do stand by their products. They are STILL in business. Just something to think about. Good luck in your shopping.
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #4

Well, if you're looking for popular opinion on gas coaches, Tiffin & Winnebago are usually the first mentioned, though there are many good ones out there. Not sure what can be had for 35,000, but one of the many very helpful souls on here will probably be able to help.
4tfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #5

You pay your money .....you take your chance. If you are handy and have a basic knowledge of mechanics and plumbing and electricty and are not affraid to get your hands dirty. go for it. One is just as good as another. One is just as bad as another.
Good Luck
Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
You pay your money .....you take your chance. If you are handy and have a basic knowledge of mechanics and plumbing and electricty and are not affraid to get your hands dirty. go for it. One is just as good as another. One is just as bad as another.
Good Luck
Sorry but I disagree...a little bit of pre-planning and a whole lot of shopping will usually get you what you want. First of all, I would only shop for brands which are still being manufactured. Second, I would try to find something that had all of the manuals and service records. Third, I would have it thoroughly checked out by a competent RV inspector. Then, and only then, would I pay my money and takes my chances...!
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:49 AM   #7

There are Happy Campers on this sight with probably every make and model of Motor Home ever made. You have to determine what is the most important for you. Even those whose manufacturer is not in business anymore have parts suppliers out there. Spending $35K you are not going to get anything that is new or close to new so whether they are still in business is not as important as the maintenance that has been done on it. Of course, you will need to decide whether you get a newer motorhome that was cheaper when new, or older, better quality and more expensive. It also depends on what your plans include. If you are full time, your priorities will be very different than if you are going to use it at a camp or for a few weekends a year. Go to the "Owners Forum" on this sight, pick a manufacturer and you will hear all kinds of issues and praises. Pick one that sounds best for you and go for it. The joy is in the journey!! Have fun with the search.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:50 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I looked at alot of different coaches. My first nonslide was a tiffin and I liked it alot.
I found a Monaco that I felt had great build quality.
Ive seen a few others over the years that are similar build quality... Holiday Rambler is one.
It has an aluminum roof, 2" walls, double pane windows. I have konis on all 4 corners and a full exhaust system. Really is easy to drive.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought a 2006 National SeaBreeze 1341, 2 slides, with 22K miles, in June of this year. Paid $44K. We are extremely happy with the choice. We looked at a lot of different manufacturers and floor plans. As a has been said, there are good and bad in all of them. The unit did come with all the manuals as well as maintenance records. It was a repo we bought from a small dealer. From all the other discussions, it appears National was a quality manufacturer while in business and parts are available through other outlets as most components are not manufacturer specific except for a few manufacturers. In my opinion, the floorplan you are happy with is the most important, check the unit , and as said look for the maintenance records. Used is used, they all need work at some point. Good Luck and Happy RV'ing.
rvmike1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #10

3rd motorhome

Hi, I am going to be honest and truthful as I can, this is what happened to me. the first motorhome was on a p30 chassis very hard to drive on the highway a small car going 65mph would blow you into the break down lane. after many upgrades and thousands of dollars still no good on the hi-way. It had to go. 2nd mh was on a f53 ford chassis which was driveable, the only problem is it rode so hard the windshield popped out and after 5 years everything on the front was falling apart. I even bought koni shocks, still n.g. that had to go also. Now I bought an old diesel pusher for less than a third of what I paid for the gas jobs. yes I invested 5 thousand dollars in it, but it rides like a caddy and handles like a corvette. what a pleasure to drive it's even longer than the other 2. I feel safe driving it, it even stops better with air breaks, It weighs 26,000 lbs empty and you can tow any car and not even know it's back there. the mpg is 6 mpgs better than the gas ones. everything on this mh is much higher quality than a gas one. I am a happy camper with this older mh. I will never buy another GAS MOTORHOME. Luckly I can fix just about anything on it, so if you are mechanically inclined go for the diesel. or look for a good used one. Best of luck. Den
denter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #11

The one YOU want and like

Please read my post Entrey level vs High End Coach and get what you like.
WE RV 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #12

I agree with 2 posts above...i just today bought a '97 london aire for 387000 and has 90000 miles...but it was top of the line in its day and drives SOOOO good..and has 325hp cummings..5 years ago we were going to buy a gas Bounder which are very nice and would be my choice today if buying an older gas...but then the price was 34 grand...glad we waited and found this one...jeff
Old 11-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncason View Post
Tiffin products are not any better than any other motorhome but they do stand by their products. They are STILL in business. Just something to think about. Good luck in your shopping.
Newmar is also still going very well.
They also stand behind their products.
And we think they are better built than a lot of other RV's.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #14

If you listen to the "Living the RV Dream" podcast you will hear "buy your 3rd RV first". I think this is great advice. For your price range you can get a good 10 year old DP that drives much nicer than a gasser and the drivetrain will outlast a gasser 3:1.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote