Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
Which M.H.to consider

I am looking to buy a 40-45 M.H. I was working a deal on a 03 Signature & couldn't come to terms. There are so many brands out there, heard of some & not of others. I try to read thru the forums to hear what the folks have to say about the different brands. For example Beaver seemed like a good quality coach but read about a lot electrical issues. I am looking to spend 100-200k for a 5-8 year old coach. I would appreciate your alls opinion on the best values out there. Wife & I will be living in it full time until I build a new house, then it will be used for road trips.

jriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2014, 11:31 PM   #2
I used the RV Consumer Group Guide while shopping for both our used MHs. It certainly was not the final deciding factor. But the guide did eliminate many units (with corian countertops and fancy TVs) in the preliminary round. A small amount of money well spent toward a large purchase IMO.

RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs

George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:42 AM   #3
read read read. That's the best way to find out what's hot & what's not!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
Boy, that's a question. Some are 'better' built than others but personal preference has a lot to do with it. And used, like a used vehicle takes some checking and an inspection because there is a couple more parts than in a car.
2015 F350 Lariat Diesel Dually, White, Hitch Kit.
2013 Dutchman Voltage 3200 Epic II 5th wheel.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Hi jriedel,
Consider these items in order of importance,
1. Floor plan. Look at the coach in the travel, entertaining and sleeping configuration. Does it work for you?
2. Will the coach carry all your stuff and people? This is a calculation of GVWR minus the unloaded weight rating.
3. Will the coach tow what you want to tow? This is the GCWR minus GVWR. Also the receiver weight rating.

After you find a coach that passes these questions, one can make the decision as complex as one wants to make it. The questions about diesel vs. gas, the brand of coach, engine and transmission size all fall by the side of the road if the coach doesn't have the right answers to the above mentioned questions.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Go kick a LOT of tires! We sure love our Monaco. Just watch out for the "trailing arms" issue on some of the older models!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
Check out Foretravel coaches. STILL in business, one of the top five in quality and loyalty.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #8
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Newmar - good quality & service on both diesel & gas units - check out the Newmar owners forum on IRV2.

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #9

Remember Happy Wife, Happy Life Must pass smell test. When we started looking for me the important thing was it had to have a side radiator. I like to see the motor for the rear not looking down on it from the bedroom. Some have larger front doors and Country Coach fit on both plus it had a new radiator. With a side radiator you give up one side bay but you will save on the pocket book if you need to take it in for service even to change a belt, I changed the serpentine belt in about one minute.
I wanted a 36' but we got a 40' because Happy Wife Happy Life.
2 stroker
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series, Samsung 197 RR
Cat C9--STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf 330 Magnum 2812 PSW 2011 Ford Edge Sport-Air Force One
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:15 AM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers

It seems most of the "newbies" want 40-45 DPers. My question is have you ever driven one, do you know anything about air brakes and what kind of campgrounds will you go to as a lot of campgrounds can't fit that size coach. Are you going to be towing a toad?

Why not consider a gas coach like a Winnebago say 35-38 footer. Most are on a Ford or Workhorse chassis. The Workhorse with the 8.1l engine and Alison transmission are great as is the newer Ford V-10.

Next like some other Rvers have suggested is the floor Plan. Can you access the bathroom with slides closed, can you have lunch with slides closed, in other words with slides closed can you move around inside.

Lastly keep checking on IRV2 forums (owners forums) to get ideas and to see what problems there are, look before you leap!

2014 Winnebago Adventurer 35P,Ford F-53, V-10
2011 Ford Escape,2000 Roadmaster Tow Dolly
"Have a Great Day, Enjoy RVing."
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Which one should I chose?

My 2 cents. You need to look at all you can for a good usable floor plan and other modern upgrades or options. Also why gas or why diesel? You could also search ebay for models and floor plans to compare. If you search ebay you can choose nearest and might be surprised at what is close by. Craigs list and several rv sites. Always plan for spending more than you expect - it's the incidentals that get you. You know unexpected repairs or upgrades. Hope this helps and you are an owner soon. Keep looking they pop up everyday for sale.
ZOOKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #12
Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

For $100 to $200K you can buy a new one, as many dealers come 25-28% off MSRP.
WBBB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #13
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Which M.H. to consider?

There is good advise in the above postings but the one question not answered that I think is very important regardless if the unit is new or used, "FACTORY SUPPORT." Try to get a good read in this area.
Marty too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:55 PM   #14
Most important is maintenance records and how clean the interior is. I purchased a service contract and do not regret it as they are rolling earthquakes. Be aware that many MHs built at the height of the recession were built with spare parts by lower paid techs. Buy an older, higher quality coach.

Follow us at: http://joelandesta.blogspot.com/
2006 HR Endeavor 40'...2002 Corvette
2011 Forest River 20' Cargo Trailer
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote