Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2006, 08:53 AM   #1

This is the year we hope to buy a motorhome - after our travel trailer sells. We're planning on a used gas model, say 1999 to 2003. I had it narrowed down to National RV or Tiffen, but, just to increase our odds, I have added Rexhall and (maybe) the Fleetwood Bounder. (I think the quality, at least of the interiors of the National RV and Tiffen are a little better than the Fleetwood.) I know nothing about the Rexhall RVs, and there don't seem to be many of them around used. Does anybody know about them?

Thanks in advance,

Hack
--//--

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2006, 08:53 AM   #2

This is the year we hope to buy a motorhome - after our travel trailer sells. We're planning on a used gas model, say 1999 to 2003. I had it narrowed down to National RV or Tiffen, but, just to increase our odds, I have added Rexhall and (maybe) the Fleetwood Bounder. (I think the quality, at least of the interiors of the National RV and Tiffen are a little better than the Fleetwood.) I know nothing about the Rexhall RVs, and there don't seem to be many of them around used. Does anybody know about them?

Thanks in advance,

Hack
--//--

Old 04-10-2006, 11:35 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Hack, being a National owner I am prejudice towards them, however you will find many happy Tiffin owners on the forum. I was looking at the Rexhall website last night and was very dismayed at what I say. In particular they have numerous 2006 models on 2003 Workhorse chassis. (Tenth digit of VIN is the model year for Workhorse Chassis) If this is way the company does business, they won't get mine.

Good luck on your search.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:04 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Rexhall is having financial difficulties. Their stock has been trading as low as 10 cents a share.

They are marketing rvs directly from their factory.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:22 PM   #5

As a National owner, I, too, am prejudiced. We got our used SurfSide in 2005 and are very happy with it. We have also toured the factory and it was very enlightening to the quality they put into their mohos.

I don't know what you want to spend, but try looking at the new SurfSide (they stopped making them in 2000 and now are back, better than ever. I saw one in Bakersfield at Camping World that had a price tag of $75,000. If you're intent on a used one, try looking at the Dolphin...that's probably my next one.

My son has a Fleetwood, but not the Bounder and from what I've heard, I don't want a Bounder.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:38 PM   #6

If you are looking for suggestions on other MH's to consider, I would throw Newmar Kountry Star and Scottsdale in the mix with the National and Tiffen products.

Take care.

2004 Newmar Kountry Star 3560
RobAndTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ehackney:

Thanks in advance,

Hack
--//-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about a dollar amount you're looking to spend?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:40 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Webster:
...from what I've heard, I don't want a Bounder. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:42 AM   #9

Thanks for all the input. It looks like I'm back to National RV and Tiffen. I will check out Kountry Star and Scottsdale, though.

Somebody asked what price range we were looking at. We're thinking $40-60K.

Best regards,

Hack
--//--
Old 04-11-2006, 03:41 PM   #10

Fred, a question on the VIN #. You say the tenth diget in the VIN is the chassis year? Or do you mean the tenth character? My vin begins with 5B4MP... I have a 2005 Seabreeze on what I assumed was a 2004 chassis. I thought there was always a one year difference. If its the tenth diget, my chassis was built in 1999.
Anyway, if it's a 2005 chassis, thanks for the good news. And its my second National product. They build 'em good.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:00 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Buy the one you like best, for the money you want to spend. AND, don't be in a rush!

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:06 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Buy the one you like best, for the money you want to spend. AND, don't be in a rush!

I agree with Jestme13, you really are limited to 2 chassis manufacturers, Ford or Workhorse, and a lot of what goes on the chassis is also made by a limited number of manufacturers, so no matter the brand, you get essentially the same thing, the difference is how carefully it's all assembled, the floor plans, decorations, and what I think really matters- the dealer and dealer network! Rexhall makes a good rig but with no dealer network to go to I was reluctant to purchase one when we were looking for a class A gasser. Take your time and get what you want.
Easyrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 06:21 PM   #13

Hack-Whatever you decide to buy, GO SLOW! Look at EVERYTHING! You might find a 1999 with 9500 miles on it,but, what's the tire dates and this would be important because they were used little and were they stored on the ground or blocks could determine when they fail.
Chassis, I'd go for Workhorse, Ford's with the E4OD transmission had some problems in the late 90's. Had 2 Fords, 1 was great, the other was a lemon.
Of your 2 choices I'd take Tiffin. They made my short list and the only reason I didn't get one was there were none available at the time. I agree with an earlier post, add the Kountry Star to your list. My Newmar has been great and the service has been excellent, and that's the main item I looked at.
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:43 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
We moved up from a Newmar Scottsdale to a Tiffin Allegro Bay and I would never look back. Even the Tiffin Allegro is better in comparison but the real kicker in my opinion is the service that Tiffin offers that we have found to exceed every other RV manufacturer we've owned (Fleetwood, Coachman, Itasca and Newmar). We've had to get warranty work on all of our RV's and while the work was done we never had the quality service we get from Tiffin. We go where we want, not just to a Tiffin dealer and if we have a problem we call Bob Tiffin directly and he takes care of it and believe me he does. I wouldn't trade that for the world. Even out of warranty, if you can get it to Tiffin they will take care of it!!!!

Get those large corporations to do that or try calling the CEO of those corporations and see what happens!

Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote