Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2017, 01:19 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Which one

I have been working with the DW to find a MH that would work for her (I am just the driver and handyman). The two are 2017 Thor Miramar 34.1 and 2016 Tiffin Allegro 36LA. The Thor has everything that DW wants and the Tiffin almost everything but she would live with it. My Problem Tiffin is 20k more and I haven't read good things about Thor construction, water leaks seem to be a big problem on some models. Tiffin has problems to but not just one major item has been talked about on their forum as on Thor.

Any suggestions or items I should look out for?
Navyskcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #2

We had a 2016 36LA but prior to purchasing it we had looked at numerous Thor products at the time. Once we went into the 36LA we were sold with the higher quality materials they use. The way the exterior is constructed to include the outside basement doors are much better quality. Also uses a higher weight chassis, 24K vs 22K. Furniture material quality is higher. They use name brand A/V components on the inside and one Blu-Ray player/satellite connection will work on all TVs. Tiffin stands by their products and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one.
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:23 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Hmm - really likes it, could live with it.

Check out both very carefully and look for the quality of the unit you are considering. Not all are bad. If you look at the numbers of units produced the failure rate (failure per say 1000 units) appears to be similar across brands.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:59 PM   #4

How much does the extra $20 K mean to you?
How much does the DW "living with it" mean to her, and then you later?

If the answers are "not much" then go for the Tiffin.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry but I can't advise you on those two rigs. Hope you find the right one for your needs.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:11 PM   #6

Way more storage for her things in the Tiffin. Heavier chassis so a better ride.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You can be sure there is a $20k difference in the Tiffin - they aren't just charging more for the same exact thing. Nobody in the RV industry is doing - the price competition is severe. The question is whether that extra $20k is affordable and does it provide things that are valuable to you? If you can't detect the differences, you may as well save the extra dough.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyskcs View Post
I have been working with the DW to find a MH that would work for her (I am just the driver and handyman). The two are 2017 Thor Miramar 34.1 and 2016 Tiffin Allegro 36LA. The Thor has everything that DW wants and the Tiffin almost everything but she would live with it. My Problem Tiffin is 20k more and I haven't read good things about Thor construction, water leaks seem to be a big problem on some models. Tiffin has problems to but not just one major item has been talked about on their forum as on Thor.

Any suggestions or items I should look out for?
It would be the 2016 Tiffin Allegro 36LA for us without blinking an eye. I'm not fond of Thor products. 20K in the big scheme of things of overall price, for a better quality coach IMO is a small price to pay. Since the Tiffin is used, maybe you can negotiate it down a little bit more below the extra 20K.

FWIW...many, many things to consider when buying a MH other than the price.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:22 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
A friend of ours has a Thor Presido. The detail and quality in the coach is exceptional.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:24 AM   #10

Thor vs Tiffin? No contest if you can afford the extra $20k, IMHO.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:06 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the sound advice. 20K means I will be in debt for another couple of months. But my comfort and piece of mind will be better. Going with the Tiffin if we can make a deal.
Navyskcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:25 PM   #12

Very sound decision that one would expect a Senior Chief to make!
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote