Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
Tiffin Owners Club
DH does most of the driving of our 2013 Itasca 42 GD which is 43 feet long with a Flex tow making a total length is 64 feet. However, I am quite willing and able to spell him and so occasionally I drive. I think he enjoys doing the driving and I have no objections. We are trying to eliminate the long drving days and go by the 2-2-2 rule. So maybe in the future I will be doing less driving rather than more.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 45LP Towing 2013 Ford Flex
using Blue Ox Alladin Towbar & Air Force One Braking System
Follow us on jitrekking.com
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #16
When we were shopping for our present rig, we eliminated the Workhorse from consideration and DPs were out of reach (and there were very few 30 - 32 footers available). We ended up with the F53.

DW is "altitude challenged" and her feet don't reach the floor when sitting on the Flexsteel seats (which aren't adjustable for height). I therefore do all the driving. My personal mileage limit is 200/day unless we're headed for the S&B, then I'll do 300 because the last 80 or so are on familiar roads.

I also have problems with the seats. The cushions are too long from the seat-back to the front edge and I get cramps in my right hamstring muscle after a couple of hours. If we were going to be RVers for a long time yet, I'd seriously consider replacing the front seats, but we're getting to a point where the costs are becoming unmanageable, so the big white box might be on the market at the end of the '14 season.

Our "get us home" plan, in the event I can't drive, is a one-way plane ticket for our recently retired son-in-law, from Seattle to wherever we're stuck.

Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #17
We are a same sex couple and we both drive, but I do most driving. Twice in the lastr 6 months I have heard heartbreaking stories about couples where health issues prevent the primary driver from driving and the other person won't drive, thus ending their RVing adventures. Just so sad
taigarazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #18
Thor Owners Club
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
I do the majority of the driving and DW will give me a two hour break if it is going to be a long day. The break is nice and I am rested for my second "shift". ... She would prefer not to do city or tight space driving, but she is perfectly capable.

LOL In our family it is the other way around - I am the better driver so I do all the city and tight space driving, while Hubby does some highway driving to give me a break
"You only get old when you are no longer interested in new things" - my grandma who passed at 92 years old.
tladouceur58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DW drove our 30 foot ACE a few times, mostly from one freeway rest area to the next. She has never driven our current 38 foot MH on the highway. In tight campground situations she drives and I direct. We call it the ventriloquist and the dummy. Our emergency plan is a Good Sam EAS membership. However, since we are truly full timers without a home base, I'm not sure what directions we'd give the GS driver.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #20
Originally Posted by tladouceur58 View Post

LOL In our family it is the other way around - I am the better driver so I do all the city and tight space driving, while Hubby does some highway driving to give me a break
And that is part of the definition of a good marriage, recognizing each others strengths and capitalizing on them.
Shawn M.
2011 Fleetwood Expedition
2014 Chevy Traverse
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #21
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's a loaded question

I do all the driving. It's been that way for 45 years. She has never driven anything longer than a VW van and will not even attempt it.

That doesn't stop her from telling me how I'm doing everything wrong....... If you look up 'Bad Passenger' at wikipedia you'll find her picture next to it.

Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #22
We bought a used '97 Nemar Mountain Aire 37foot last month in Sacremento and immedietly drove it to Portland, or at least tried. I drove for an hour then she took the wheel for the next hour when the MH broke down in Redding (150mi). It startled her but did not deter her from getting behind the wheel. .
It was a bearing assembly between the tranny and drive shaft that took a week to fix.
She still doesn't hesitate to jump behind the wheel. I figure if something happens to me while we're enroute, I have an alternate driver onboard, although we also tend to take tladouceur58's route of me getting in/out of tight areas.
She is a real 5'2" trooper!
Turbofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #23
Ford Super Duty Owner
I steer the motorhome and my wife drives it. Watch the hole , Don't get so close to that car, Slow down, Don't take the curves so fast, etc. My wife does drive some, but really does not enjoy it. I encourage her to drive enough to keep current. I got a stomach virus on a vacation back in the mid seventies. I could not stay out of the bathroom. If my wife had not been able to drive, we would have been stuck in a campground for three days. By the way, you can see a lot while on the throne, with your head stuck out the bathroom door.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #24
Been RVing for more than 45 Years, (with same DW) and wife drove everything we had, several TT's in tow, or the C's we had, until we got our DP's (both 40' Monaco Diplomat and then a Dynasty) she would not drive those and would not even consider getting the special Lic required.

She is back driving the RV again now that we have downsized. I think this was one of her desires and thoughts behind downsizing. We love our smaller coach and we go more places and more often because it is sooo much handier for our application now, but I loved our A's also.

While I drive most of the time. I often ask her to drive just to keep her familiar with it. She gets nervous in heavy traffic or when on difficult roads and is not great at backing up but she can "get us home" if the need is there.

Good to have another person who can take over as required.
Libero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #25
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wife refuses to drive the MH and refuses to learn and I actually don't mind as I'm more relaxed when I drive.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #26
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
I do all the driving at present, but wife wishes to learn if an emergency happens.
Same with us.. we just bought our MH and have been doing all the driving.. I think it is good idea for her to learn and be comfortable..
Excursion04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #27
My DW freaks out just sitting in the coach front seat when I'm passing a truck. She wants to learn but must start somewhere with limited traffic such as our gated community where she can get comfortable. She will never be comfortable in tight spaces or narrow roads.
Garnett & Dolores Lee
2004 MADP 4301 / Spartan
olddog1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #28
National RV Owners Club
The DW will spell me once in awhile but I do the Lion's share. For some reason, it seems that when we do swap places, the driving becomes tougher than usual, steep hills, narrow roads, sharp corners. Kinda weird.

1999 - National Tropi Cal
sirpurrcival is offline   Reply With Quote