Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #57
Georgie Boy Owners Club
some funny stories on this thread...love it! Since my hubby was an OTR trucker for 23 years, I yield the bulk of the driving to him and I drive the car when we are settled in somewhere. Works out great. I have driven our 34' plus 20' trailer but I have a hard time reaching the pedals and seeing out the mirrors. They don't make many vehicles for short people!

Junebug and Shortstuff Rankins
2000 Georgie Boy Cruise Master
Full-time since 2010
varankins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #58
Monaco Owners Club
I WISH my DW wanted to drive. I got her to drive a Ford E250, but that is as big as she would go. As a matter of fact, she has stated that if I am incapacitated, I might as well find some hitchhiker to take over driving duties. Actually works in my favor - she goes out of her way to keep me whole and healthy while on the road as she doesn't want to get stuck anyplace but home.

Jay & Jo Couture Livin' On The Edge,
w/Dawson, our mini aussie, in a 2007 Monaco Knight 40DFT, towing a 24" Pace garage.
1skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #59
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've driven every RV we've ever owned since our first, a 15' travel trailer. She didn't like driving the Suburban and I don't think she ever drove the Dodge one ton dually.

Now that we're full time I keep bringing up the notion that she ought to learn to drive the motorhome "just in case". So far she's resisted but friends recently raved about the Spartan school in which they learned all about their coach and it's maintenance as well as how to drive it. I'm thinking I'll put that on our 2014 agenda as I already have plans to be in Michigan (I really want to visit the Henry Ford museum). The friends talked about the confidence the driving portion of the course gave them behind the wheel.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #60
Originally Posted by whid1 View Post
My suggestion is have someone that you know that drives a big rig for a living teach her how to drive the MH before long they will have her turning a 40' MH around on a 60' street. Plus they will show her how to take command at an intersection with your rig.
My wife drives our 37' better than me. She learned from a Trucker.

That is EXACTLY what I want to do with our 30' Fiver. I have contacted schools here, but he doesn't seem too interested in having me learn :(
I can ride my own Harley, pulled a horse trailer a few times- I am SURE I can learn how to do this!
2012 Keystone Fuzion 305, 2005 F350 4x4 CC TD
2008 HD Fatboy, 2006 HD Sportster XL1200L
2004 Honda Sportrax 400EX
LadyFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #61
National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I do all the driving of my 35 ft. class A. I have no choice - my dogs just can't get a license. I have no husband/partner to share the driving with me so I just drive shorter distances and sometimes slower speeds. Even when I was married and we had a 5th wheel, I did most of the driving. Yes, it can be intimidating at times and even scary at others, but if I want to go any places I have to be the one to get me there. I have been RVing since 1977 and have my 9th RV now.
Barbara Spade
Jaymie (Sheltie/Pom) and Luke (Sheltie/mix)
35' Sea View (Class A) MH & Honda CR-V toad.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #62
Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to whid1
Originally Posted by LadyFreedom View Post
That is EXACTLY what I want to do with our 30' Fiver. I have contacted schools here, but he doesn't seem too interested in having me learn :(
I can ride my own Harley, pulled a horse trailer a few times- I am SURE I can learn how to do this!
In the winter times there are classes that teach people to drive their own rigs. These classes are posted on different web sites. I would go to google or where search engine your using and you can find a driving class in your area. I was lucky because my neighbor was a trucker for England truck lines. Good luck LadyFreedom
1990 37' Vogue Prima Vista DP
whid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #63
Well, we are about to inbark upon our first trip out in our first MH, and one way or another the "Betterhalf" will climb into the drivers seat and give it a try. She was able to drive pulling the 5er so she shouldn;t have any trouble with this! Wish us luck!
Doug & Darlene Morgan RVM96 & Abby Gabby(pooch)
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination"Hickory,NC
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #64
My wife refuses to learn. She has a list of excuses three miles long. Oh well.
2007 Presidio 39D

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #65
Spartan Chassis
I didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know if this is a repeat comment or not:

"My DW drives the MH. I, however, get to hold the steering wheel."

Hope she doesn't see this!!!

Andy Clark
95 Beaver Patriot 37
Cummins 8.3C
3rd stage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #66
Monaco Owners Club
I do all of the driving. I like it that way and so does DW. Drove the big trucks nationwide years ago and have always been right at home in anything with wheels.
Charlie & Olivia- Denton, TX, 08' Monaco Dynasty Squire IV, Cummins ISL 425, Blue Ox, M&G, Rubicon
"The road goes on forever and the party never ends"
chuck49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #67
Wife does 100% of highway driving and I handle all in-town driving and parking, backing up etc...

She is an excellent driver and has the endurance of a truck driver :-) I admire that as I automatically get sleepy after an hour or two of highway driving. Funny thing is that I don't get sleepy when I am not driving. This turns out to be a good thing because I get particularly chatty and it helps to pass the time and makes the time fly as we get into some pretty good conversations.
2003 Safari Cheetah
bkbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #68
We had the coach only a few months when one days she asks " When are you going to let me drive?" I whipped it over and she got behind the wheel. A few miles later the New Mexico road turned to a two lane nightmare with no shoulders and oilfield trucks zipping by about every minute or two. I asked if she wanted me to drive and I got "The look". I pretended to sleep with one eye open but she hung in there and drove till we got to the mountains. Next time I'll wait till we are on the interstate.

Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel
U320 4010
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote