Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2016, 11:12 PM   #29

The placement of the radiator has to do with the area needed to cool the engine. All 500hp or larger engines will have a side radiator. Most, but not all 450hp engines will have a side radiator. 400hp models can have either a rear or side radiator. It comes down to area needed to remove the heat from producing power. A rear radiator is limited to the size of the opening at the rear. The side radiator can and usually is larger with sometimes a larger fan. There are other opinions that the side one will bring in cooler and cleaner air, but they can use more hp to turn the fan.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2016, 11:20 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
Can you elaborate on why side rads have more cooling capacity? Larger rads? Larger cooling volumes? Bigger fans? Faster fans? Better control on fan cooling speeds/loads independent of engine speed?

Inquisitive minds want to know.

Brian.

Basic answer is "yes". They also stay cleaner. My 09 Camelot rad, CAC, trans cooler, oil cooler are only a tad dusty. Motor and trans heat are very stable.
Power is used to run the fan when needed, but the power is there for it.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:50 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
The placement of the radiator has to do with the area needed to cool the engine. All 500hp or larger engines will have a side radiator. Most, but not all 450hp engines will have a side radiator. 400hp models can have either a rear or side radiator. It comes down to area needed to remove the heat from producing power. A rear radiator is limited to the size of the opening at the rear. The side radiator can and usually is larger with sometimes a larger fan. There are other opinions that the side one will bring in cooler and cleaner air, but they can use more hp to turn the fan.
maybe true or maybe not. not necessary for the size of the engine. mine is 350hp, there are a lot of 300hp engines on country coaches, and those are all having a side rad. it's more about the preferences by the manufacturers.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:18 PM   #32
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I added the word TYPICALLY and probably should have also added the word MODERN coaches to my statement. Keep in mind, back in 2000 technology was not where it is today. A 2000 Country Coach was a big heavy coach for the time and the 350 was a big motor for the time. It still needed a lot of cooling. As technology got better, they were able to cool the bigger engines with rear radiators more efficiently, to a point. Things have leveled off in the last few years with the only big changes being DEF.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
maybe true or maybe not. not necessary for the size of the engine. mine is 350hp, there are a lot of 300hp engines on country coaches, and those are all having a side rad. it's more about the preferences by the manufacturers.
The preference of the manufacturer might have played a roll in the radiator placement of the smaller engines in the past, but show me one 500 hp or larger coach that comes with a rear radiator. Also, I am not aware of any new model DP's with 300 hp that come with a side radiator. Not sure if any 350 hp models have a side one either. I still maintain that the increased need for cooling of the larger engine is the main reason for the larger, higher capacity side radiator.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:48 PM   #34

American Coach Owners Club
side rad

My 1998 American Eagle 325 HP cummins on a Spartan has a side radiator. As others mentioned easy to change belt, thermostats, hoses.
FORTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Most of the coaches built on Spartan chassis have side radiators. My coach came with a derated 370 ISL to 350. I've since up rated it to 400hp. My Temps run a consistent 195-200. Trans and engine. My cooling fan average speed is around 35% according to my ScanGauge.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator