Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: What GPS, and are you happy with it?? Please pick TWO choices
Garmin RV GPS 29 31.87%
Magellan RV GPS 3 3.30%
Rand McNally RV GPS 24 26.37%
other brand of RV GPS...or just a normal GPS 13 14.29%
Garmin-- it's OK, not perfect 23 25.27%
Magellan -- it's OK, not perfect 6 6.59%
Rand McNally -- it's OK, not perfect 17 18.68%
I'm very pleased with the brand I have 31 34.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #15

You need to add Delorme Street Atlas Plus to the list. Since I already have a laptop, adding the GPS Receiver and Software is inexpensive, and the screen can be easily seen.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #16
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I had a Garmin, but sold it and purchased a TomTom. Very happy with the TomTom
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Chiefneon,
Took your advice and am downloading Co-pilot to my Android smart phone right now. Now that it is downloading the maps, I am wondering if it still uses the GPS as you are driving? Hopefully it works like any other GPS. I have had Garmin Nuvis for years for my car, but the first time I tried that on the MH I got myself in trouble--low bridge. Fortunately as soon as I saw it I pulled over and there happened to be a cop sitting nearby. He asked me to follow him and took me around the bridge.

Looks like it will take about 45 minutes to download the eastern States.
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
IF you're driving either interstate or in large cities (Dallas, Atlanta) do I really need an RV GPS, or are their values best for off-the-beaten-path type of driving?
I like the heads up I receive from our RM. When in heavy traffic it's nice to be alerted to the next exit, so I have time to switch to needed lane.( DW still checks the map to be sure.) I like the gps when "avoids" are set especially off the beaten path. Our RM helps us to stay off the unpaved narrow roads. Not to mention avoiding low overpasses. Not saying it can't happen , but so far many miles with no suprises! I think it is a great addition !!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I'm too cheap to pay inflated prices for RV-specific GPS, so I use a "normal" GPS, to which I have added POIs for more campgrounds and RV-related services such as Cummins Coach Care sites. All those POIs are readily available at POI Factory and similar sites. I also buy the 5" size - really don't see the need for a 7" or better, but maybe mine is positioned closer to the driver than yours. A big GPS would actually block my view of the road up close to the coach.

I buy a top-of-the-line 5" GPS from the previous year and rarely pay more than $120. The last years prices drop like a stone once the new models come out. Takes me 60-90 minutes to download and add custom POIs.

I have both Garmin and TomTom GPS, one each in car and coach. Each has its strengths and I would be hard-pressed to recommend one brand over the other. Both do an excellent job with map & software updates.
Same here...a normal GPS at Sam's Club for $125. Got the somewhat larger screen...saved $300 over an "RV" GPS.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have used CoPilot on my Phone and Tablet for years. I set the Tablet vehicle preference to RV Routing, make sure the height restriction is correct and to avoid propane-restricted tunnels.

I plan routes at home before trips and set it up will all my planned stops.
gr8grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to TXwannabe
Am just learning about Co-pilot based on this forum. For an RV, do you want the truck version, in order to enter height, length, etc.? or is the normal version sufficient?
TXwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXwannabe View Post
Am just learning about Co-pilot based on this forum. For an RV, do you want the truck version, in order to enter height, length, etc.? or is the normal version sufficient?
I use the regular version and under Vehicle Preferences, I pick RV.
gr8grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
We have both a Rand 7710 and a Garmin Dezl and have used Copilot. Copilot is great if you have internet which we dont in the Rockies. I find I prefer the Garmin. The rand took use over a 20,000 limit bridge and we are 32000 and there was no way of backtraking, Also the Rand dock program you have to load on your computer to update the unit is always causing problems. For what it is worth thats my take.
Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #24

Our in-dash GPS crashed and died a couple thousand miles from home. We stopped at a Best Buy and purchased a Garmin 7" Dezl 760LMT truck navigator. It was the closest they had to what we wanted... big screen and programable for our vehicle profile, plus lifetime maps and traffic and many other desirable features as well.

As it turned out, it's been the most user-friendly (meaning the least "surprises" and most accurate) GPS we've had to date and that covers about 5 units from all the usual major brands over the years.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #25

Howdy!

Co-pilot has a setting for RV which you can set the height up to 13'. My new Toy Hauler 5er is 13'6" so I electded to purchase the trucker verison which is more money but we are fulltimers so we us it alot. No need for the Trucker verision if the height of your RV is 13' and under. Also once you download the maps there is no need for a data connection to us Co-pilot. My previous tablet and also this one is WiFi only and I don't have a data connection while traveling and never had a problem.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:08 PM   #26

After I bought my motor home I was looking for a GPS, but did not like what I saw or read about. I own a Samsung Tab 10.1, so for $2 I bought the scout gps app. It takes me where I want to go with no data needed. My coach has a nice table between the driver and passenger so it sits there to view as needed.
pfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just use my iPhone or iPad. I'll look for copilot & see if it's available for Apple products.
Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #28

I did a side by side comparison of the Rand vs Garmin RV GPS. The Garmin went back very quick. Personally TomTom has been the best overall navigator that I have used and would seriously look at their RV GPS if I was in the market for a new.

I've also tried copilot and several other tablet and phone based GPS. The biggest problem with these is making sure they can work offline and even they seem to be about as useful as the Garmin lines, in other words be very careful and double and trip,e check your routing lest you be told to go down railroad tracks, up a 4x4 logging road or down one way streets the wrong way as we were when using the Garmin units.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps