Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: What GPS, and are you happy with it?? Please pick TWO choices
Garmin RV GPS 29 31.87%
Magellan RV GPS 3 3.30%
Rand McNally RV GPS 24 26.37%
other brand of RV GPS...or just a normal GPS 13 14.29%
Garmin-- it's OK, not perfect 23 25.27%
Magellan -- it's OK, not perfect 6 6.59%
Rand McNally -- it's OK, not perfect 17 18.68%
I'm very pleased with the brand I have 31 34.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
We have a Garmin Nuvi in the car and a Garmin RV 760 LTM......I've never tried any other units so I can't compare.....but I am happy with both units.....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Our in-dash GPS crashed and died a couple thousand miles from home. We stopped at a Best Buy and purchased a Garmin 7" Dezl 760LMT truck navigator. It was the closest they had to what we wanted... big screen and programable for our vehicle profile, plus lifetime maps and traffic and many other desirable features as well.

As it turned out, it's been the most user-friendly (meaning the least "surprises" and most accurate) GPS we've had to date and that covers about 5 units from all the usual major brands over the years.

cheers,
Joopy
I have the same Garmin and it's been a lifesaver more than once! I also use my iPhone just to be sure. But for real time navigating, the Garmin is very clear in giving directions to the correct route, etc. I also like the trucker apps, like tracking hours of service, fuel purchases, getting road restrictions, and more. Yeah, it's expensive, but then, so is a motorhome!
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
I did a side by side comparison of the Rand vs Garmin RV GPS. The Garmin went back very quick. Personally TomTom has been the best overall navigator that I have used and would seriously look at their RV GPS if I was in the market for a new.
It's interesting to read about the contrasting experiences folks have had. The worst performing (inaccurate directions) GPS we have had was with a Tom Tom. Granted, that was for a car unit and a few years ago. Nonetheless, I think the technology is simply amazing! Whooda thunk this was possible when we were growing up?

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #32

Most complaints we read about concern our GPS' telling us to zig instead of zag.

Does ANY GPS have the capacity to learn a new route?

Our home is best reached by going one way (well-traveled, well-known, paved county road). Neither Smart phones, my Garmin, or my older Magellan point us that way...so I continue down the road, software recalculates and still wants us to turn when we never go that way. We override several times.

Are there any GPS units that will save that route and...next time... detente to the override path you're chosen?
Old 10-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #33

The Garmin RV 760 has worked well for us.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textronics View Post
I just use my iPhone or iPad. I'll look for copilot & see if it's available for Apple products.
Howdy!

I have tried using gps apps that use data connection (google map etc...) and find they are very slow to respond to update information (turns, direction etc...) while driving. Co-Pilot app seems much faster to update and correct movemet I beleive because the maps are downloaded to the device and does not require a data connection.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #35

There was another thread a few months back that compared RM to Garmin 760 and the 760 was the clear choice, so I just ordered one from DrivenGPS.com for $250.
For that kind of money, we can't go too far wrong.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #36

I use the Garmin 760

I use the Garmin 760 that has the traffic feature included . Has served me well thus far. I also have Garmin products on my yacht and they are great . That said , you always should have a back up with you as electronics made by any manf. can have glitches . Iphone with maps also serves as back up and you can get additional local info before you arrive.

My Two Cents

Sir Isaac
sirisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Most complaints we read about concern our GPS' telling us to zig instead of zag.

Does ANY GPS have the capacity to learn a new route?

Our home is best reached by going one way (well-traveled, well-known, paved county road). Neither Smart phones, my Garmin, or my older Magellan point us that way...so I continue down the road, software recalculates and still wants us to turn when we never go that way. We override several times.

Are there any GPS units that will save that route and...next time... detente to the override path you're chosen?
With the RV760 allows you to identify roads or areas to avoid. The other way to get around this is to create custom routes that you can call up later.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #38
TLG

Have Garmin RV and Rand McNally RV. The Garmin is by far a better product. The Rand McNally has some good features but routing is bad. I've had it for 3 years and it has been to factory and still craps out. It stays in a box now. Buy the Garmin.
TLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #39
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
In my previous coach 05 Diplomat, I had a Pioneer in dash AM/FM/XM GPS (AVIC D-1). It was a GREAT system. It had a large screen and played the turn information through the stereo speakers making it very easy to hear. A neat feature was a lot of campgrounds could be found by just using their phone number. Lastly, it had a small peanut shaped remote that attached to the steering wheel. I could adjust volume or repeat turn directions along with several other features.

I will be adding the new version of this Pioneer system (AVIC 8000 NEX) to my new coach. (pricey) It now has an additional feature that I like. It has a speed limit feature that tells you when you're over the speed limit, especially in small speed trap towns.

Lastly, we run the Rand McNally near the wife's window. It allows her to do quick searches for rest areas or campgrounds without changing the main unit. My sister had just bought one of these units and then won one a couple of months later at an RV show. A quick flash of $200.00 and she sold it to me.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:52 AM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy!

Non of the above!

I no longer use stand alone a gps. For a few years now we have been using Co-pilot app on our smarthones and tablet. I really like using Co-pilot on my Samsung Note 10.1 tablet. Love the large screen and it has th RV setting we use and it has never steered us wrong even in our travels in Canada. I get much more use out of tablet that just have a stand alone gps.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
I have a samsung tablet with 8 gig of memory and a mini sdc card. I tried co pilot but did not have enough space for the maps and the program. I could not get it to load onto the SDC card how are you using yours ?
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:38 AM   #41

Any GPS will tell you to do this when you should do that. I have the Garmin 760.... I like it, but it's not fool proof. The best way to get from here to there, is to plan and program your route....and if you do this, any gps will work just fine.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #42

Smile GPS

We just purchased RM 7720 and look forward the added benefits it offers over our standard Garmin. Standard vehicle GPS does not always the best information for size rig that you're driving. We did to insert the size and the height of your rig will give me greater peace of mind as we travel throughout America. R &R Fruge
rufusfruge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps