Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
Which RV Insurance and Extended Warranty?

We are newbies buying an Entegra Anthem. Considering an extended warranty. Dealer is selling StarRV. Any suggestions or comments?

RVfelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

I use GMAC for insurance. Normally I would not by an extended warranty / service plan, as in the long run it is cheaper to be self insured in such matters.

These are often posed questions, so a search will provide several recent existing discussions as well.

Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
I have Nationwide, could not be more satisfied. Claim handled
flawlessly. No extended warranty.
macandphyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have GMAC insurance. Woujldn't consider purchasing a extended warrente from a dealer. They make as much as 50% comission. Read the posts on IRV2 about the nightmares people have with these plans. Many people swear by Good Sam's extended, but then others complain about it. search the POSTs and research. be sure to get a sample policy, have your attorney read it.. There is an old saying.... The LARGE print giveth......the small print taketh away. ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you decide to buy an Extended Plan, be sure it has a consequential damages rider and it is an exclusionary ploicy vs. an inclusionary policy.

As others have already noted there are several threads on the topic. I think this one has some very good review points in it Opinions of these Service Contract Providers

Myself and a few others did considerable research and posted it to the thread I referenced above.

For me CSI Allegiance worked out to be the best coverage for the price.

WIth the recent bankruptcy of Go RV Warranty you might want to give Wholesale Warranties a look. Both are/were brokers of the CSI policy.

After reading the posts you find of use, feel free to send me a message if I can help.

I like my GMAC policy. Had the wind rip my awning of as we were driving through SD. GMAC paid the claim without issue, little over $4000.00. THe following year my policy premium dropped a bit, mostly because I eliminated a driver, but still happy to have had a $4k claim and paying less. I found them very responsive.
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
American Coach Owners Club
I use Progressive and have had no issue. Also they give a dissapearing deductible. I haven't shopped around much though.
Command Master Chief (USCG, RET)
Full Timing in a 2007 American Coach Eagle 45H towing a 2015 Ford F150 4x4 hauling a 2015 Anniversary Edition Honda Goldwing
Mrchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
I too use Progressive and so far so good. Had the opportunity to use their roadside service and they did their part well. Tow company not so timely, but did a good job once on site.

Self insured for repairs.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
We have an '02 rig and I'm fairly good with a wrench (BS Mech.) We haven't bothered with roadside assistance. If I can't fix whatever's wrong, we'll seek local assistance wherever we are.

For insurance, since we have our homeowners' and auto insurance with Allstate and have been Allstate customers since 1972, we have our RV insurance with them also. The nice feature is that, when we park it off the street in our driveway for the winter and tell Allstate, they refund the remaining portion of the premium for "on-the-road" liability.

We haven't had a claim with Allstate since our son dinged Mom's Camry when he was home on leave from the Navy 19 years ago, so I guess they're in clover in regards to premium paid in versus claims paid out.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Mrchips View Post
I use Progressive and have had no issue. Also they give a dissapearing deductible. I haven't shopped around much though.
We had Progressive, no claims, and about three years of reducing deductibles. Had a rock break the windshield of the Jeep. Found a local outfit that would replace it for $154 in my driveway. Called Progressive to find out how much it would cost going through them. They ABSOLUTELY refused to give me any information till I said (as coached) "that I want to file a claim". The quote was almost $400. I told them to cancel the claim (as they said I could). What they didn't say was that I lost the reducing deductible and my rates went up. When I went shopping for other companies Progressive told them that there was a claim on my record of $0 to $1000. They didn't bother to say it was 0. When I found out I contacted the State Insurance Comm., they said it was legal but certainly not ethical.

We now have GMAC

A couple months ago they replaced an awning and had paint damage fixed. Cost was a little over $4000. No problem at all even though the estimate wasn't the lowest.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote