Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2015, 12:16 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have Progressive. Funny story. I shopped online. Good Sam's quoted me over $1000. Progressive quoted me half that for full coverage. I asked my insurance agent to get me a quote. He quote me a rate almost double my Progressive rate -- and he was quoting Progressive. How does that work? I of course went with the online rate. One thing I like about shopping online is that I can play with the coverage amounts and see how it affects rates. It's amazing how you can go way up to the max on coverages like liability and underinsured motorists and it might only affect your premiums by a couple bucks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2015, 08:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
I have Progressive. Funny story. I shopped online. Good Sam's quoted me over $1000. Progressive quoted me half that for full coverage. I asked my insurance agent to get me a quote. He quote me a rate almost double my Progressive rate -- and he was quoting Progressive. How does that work? I of course went with the online rate. One thing I like about shopping online is that I can play with the coverage amounts and see how it affects rates. It's amazing how you can go way up to the max on coverages like liability and underinsured motorists and it might only affect your premiums by a couple bucks.
Had the same thing happen to me with Progressive and an agent. I showed the agent the online quote and they placed the insurance for me at that price. I don't know how it works, but it may be something specific to Progressive.

sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:28 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Best what? Best service? Best price? Best coverage? Best what?

All of the above vary so much from state to state....from company to company. Some states use your driving record, or age, or income, or number of vehicles, or area of residence.....goes on and on. Egads, some even use your credit rating as a guide line.

Just because one person really likes...say Progressive, the next person will tell you how bad they are. There just isn't any way ANYONE can say which is the BEST insurance as that animal just doesn't exist.

Your best bet is to either use a broker that you trust, or you yourself go out and get a whole bunch of estimates and compare what you want for your criteria.

I'm sorry, but there just isn't a good answer for your question.

Ron
Spot on. Many, many variables. I would rather pay a bit more knowing that the service I'll receive when day comes to fast and fair. The devil in the details.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Would also like to add that the 1 year I did buy insurance through Sam's Club, they increased my rate before the term was up. Is that even legal? Anyway, haven't used them since (and will never use them).
Old 10-24-2015, 11:50 AM   #19

We've been happy with National Interstate RV insurance.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:53 AM   #20

Hard to believe but I got quotes from all the RV insurance companies after seeing how high they were went to State Farm and insured my class a with 1K deductible full coverage with roadside assistance for less than 400 a year! Does't hurt to try! Steve
Old 10-26-2015, 06:30 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's a game, trust me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
We've been happy with National Interstate RV insurance.
After five years and four different companies, so far National Interstate is the only one I've been able to renew w/o rate increase in double digit figures. However, that involved me agreeing to a lower total replacement cost. Here in lies the game they play. First year almost any company will offer good coverage with full MH replacement cost. Next year they depreciate the market value and increase the premium so your paying more to replace a two year old coach at current retail value. All underwriters play this game. Be careful unless you want to just go lowball and accept their depreciated value in case of a full MH loss. As others have stated place of residence, credit rating, etc. all affect your premium. One last thought if your new coach value is under let's say 200K my experience is GEICO was the best value. They have dollar amount limits on full replacement cost. There are no "best insurer's."
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:31 PM   #22

Erie Ins co. I have home, auto, boat and rv with them and get a great rate.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
After five years and four different companies, so far National Interstate is the only one I've been able to renew w/o rate increase in double digit figures. However, that involved me agreeing to a lower total replacement cost. Here in lies the game they play. First year almost any company will offer good coverage with full MH replacement cost. Next year they depreciate the market value and increase the premium so your paying more to replace a two year old coach at current retail value. All underwriters play this game. Be careful unless you want to just go lowball and accept their depreciated value in case of a full MH loss. As others have stated place of residence, credit rating, etc. all affect your premium. One last thought if your new coach value is under let's say 200K my experience is GEICO was the best value. They have dollar amount limits on full replacement cost. There are no "best insurer's."
Progressive has not done this to me.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #24

We've been with Good Sam from the very beginning of our "full time" life. Have been very satisfied with our coverage and claims satisfaction. Currently our policy is with National General through Good Sam Club. As with most RV info it's very dependent on your personal needs. Good luck and happy trails!
Old 10-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #25

Insurance

There are no simple answers on insurance.

You need to comparison shop the reputable companies. Price depends on your driving record, location class, and each level of coverage.

I am in Rural Route Class 1. It is the lowest location cost in PA. If I lived in Philladelpia the over-all rate would triple.

Each insurer has rates that vary by state, or even by county.

Make sure the quotes are one-on-one for all coverage levels. Some like to provide lower pricing via lower coverage.

So, no simple answers. You must shop. Brokers may help.

Best of luck!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:52 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had Progressive the first year of ownership with FULL REPLACEMENT and $2500 deductible for a premium of $1600.00 and change. Next year same residence, no claims, etc. etc. the premium was $2400.00! Just saying there are many factors in the gaming process and it really pays to shop.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:08 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverh View Post
I use the Tobin Agency which specializes in RV and Boat Insurance. They've done a great job shopping for the best deal. Sometimes it depends on your "home of Licensing" as to what insurance is available to you. Not everyone can write here in New Jersey and some of the ones cheapest in NJ are more expensive across the river in PA and vice versa. I would suggest letting an agent do the searching for you and who would know what is available to you in your state.
Me to, howdy neighbor.
Never had a claim though.

2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance