Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #1
Which shock gives the best ride?

I have a 1997 Beaver Monterey and it's ride is awful. Noisy and you can feel ever little bump or flaw in the road. I am thinking about putting new shock absorbers on but do not know which Brand gives the best ride.
Can someone advise me? Thanks John at RanchoT@msn.com

RanchoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2016, 04:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Shocks have very little to do with ride quality, so I think you are barking up the wrong tree. Shocks keep the suspension from bouncing repeatedly when you hit potholes or RR tracks, but its the springs (or air bags) and the tires that absorb the bump. Or not.

Tire pressure would be my first thing to analyze and tune.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:43 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Love my Koni shocks.
2000 Newmar Dutch Star 38' Class A, Spartan chasis, MM-2242, Cummins 330 pulling a 2014 Ford Focus.
Pexring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #4
Changed my rear sway bar bushings and installed Konis all around....rides awesome!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:19 PM   #5
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Shocks have very little to do with ride quality, so I think you are barking up the wrong tree. Shocks keep the suspension from bouncing repeatedly when you hit potholes or RR tracks, but its the springs (or air bags) and the tires that absorb the bump. Or not.

Tire pressure would be my first thing to analyze and tune.
I agree with Gary about the tire pressure.

The only review I have read on shocks was put out by Motor Home Magazine a few years back and they compared Bilstiens, Koni's and another brand. They decided the Bilstiens gave the best ride, Koni's were second if I remember right. Do a search on Motor Home magazine and you should be able to find the article.

Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:27 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This weekend I have done a number of suspension upgrades on our '05 National RV Sea Breeze and they are GREAT!

So far this weekend, I have completed:

- rear poly Swaybar bushings
- rear CHF
- new Konis front and rear

I was hoping to change the front Swaybar Bushings to the polys I purchased, but one of the 4 front SB bolts is a bit rounded, so I am ordering 4 new bolts and nuts for the front before I tackle that project.

I also had hoped to apply the CHF to the front, but in looking at the front links on our RV, the CHF will bring the swaybar really close to the leaf springs, so I am going to order new front SB links and have them modified at a local shop to extend them 14" center to center - and then try the front CHF.

So after all the suspension work, how does the RV handle?

Pretty darn well I think! I took her out for a few runs and I can certainly feel the improvement in the chassis:

- there is much less body roll/rocking while taking corners

- while a bump in the road is still a bump, I feel that the Koni's absorb them much better. I can still feel the road bumps, but to me - it seems that they are absorbed at/below the floor level and have much less impact on the upper part of the "house"

- Corners and exit ramps are soooo much easier to take - again house/body roll is significantly reduced. I know that I was able to take the exits that I have taken for 6 years, at a better pace than before, with much better control.

- The overall ride is noticeably improved.

I don't think that I can point to one item that has improved the handling - since I did 3 suspension changes at once (shocks, bushings, CHF), but I will say that the time and money spent on these suspension improvements were well worth it --- although the real review on these changes will come when the DW gets in the RV for a ride

While the SB bushings on the rear and the CHF were relatively easy changes, the shocks were anything but. I had bilsteins all around and I assume these were the original shocks on the RV. The bolts were *really* difficult to get off - especially the lower rear bolts that had 12 years worth of road debris hitting the threads. I did complete the change of all 4 shocks in one day, but for me it was about 7-8 hours. I expect that it would have likely cost me at least 6 hours of labor at our local shop - at a cost of $125/hour. So I definitely saved myself some money - even after spending about $250 on new tools/stuff to complete the job.

I'm glad that I prepped with WD-40 a day prior, but even still, getting the bolts loose took some *SERIOUS* muscle. I had to put my entire body into getting the bolts off, knees/legs up against the tires to give me the most leverage. After the bolt removal, installation and tightening - I was really sore. Nothing a few advil and an adult beverage(s) at the end of the day didn't fix.

Installation of the shocks was relatively easy. Given that these are not gas shocks (like the bilsteins), I was able to just extend the shock to the length I needed to install it.

Getting the rear torqued to the correct specs was difficult due to the limited access I could get with the torque wrench - but I got it done -- 1 ratchet click at a time.

So this weekend, my wallet is a LOT lighter, my muscles got a workout, I'm a little sore - but the BEAST handles so much better, got a bath and the zep treatment. In my book, a win all around.

2005 National Sea Breeze 1311
2015 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (trailered)
Follow us online http://OurRVJourney.com
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote