Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTWERKE View Post
I would only consider #2 because superslides#1, would worry me to death about structural integrity being compromised. #3 would bother me with the idea of a LP gas line flexing every time the slide was moved. BTW #2 is the slide configuration I have in my coach.
+1 Totally agree.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTWERKE View Post
I would only consider #2 because superslides#1, would worry me to death about structural integrity being compromised. #3 would bother me with the idea of a LP gas line flexing every time the slide was moved. BTW #2 is the slide configuration I have in my coach.
I dunno ... we've had our RV for 2 years now, and plenty of living in it during that time (at rough count more than 15 months) and I don't worry about our kitchen being in the living space slide out. Our entire kitchen, and dining booth, are in our living space slide as is our hot water heater, and we haven't had a problem with either. We're the 2nd owner of our '05 National RV.

What we really love about our RV is the counter space and storage in the kitchen.

If you're going to be full-timing it, that is certainly a key factor - along with CCC.

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Opposing slides give you more of an open feel. Even if the square footage is the same
Old 02-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #18

I have a full wall slide on my Fleetwood Bounder 33U and I enjoy the front to back floor space without having a pinch point in the floor plan. We have the King Bed in lieu of the Queen shown...

Old 02-24-2013, 07:24 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I also like opposing slides to help counterbalance each other. Our coach has 4 slides, the lounge/kitchen slides and the bedroom slides oppose each other to balance things. Also opposing slides actually allow the slide to be narrower (in the outward direction) to gain the same amount of space as a single, wider slide. The single, wider slide will add more stress in one direction than 2 narrower, opposing slides.

In the OPs original post, I would like option 3 for this reason.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #20

If I had a "reasonable" choice (availability from manufacturers) I would choose NO slide. Since that choice is typically not available, I would choose something like #2. The more slides, the more leaks and malfunctions over time. If you don't plan on keeping your RV more than 5 years it will only matter to the next owner. If you are thinking about full-timing, having a huge motorhome with everything you had in a house, and hardly ever moving the RV, you may just want to reconsider and lease a house ... moving when you get the urge. If you are planning on traveling (not full-timing) then make your decision based an practicality for short stays.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #21

I must be different because require opposing slides. The open up the coach much better than one slide. The opposing slide makes the coach seem bigger and now you are not only living front to bCk but now also side to side.

I like the north south beds.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ours is a Winnie 35P similar to number 1. The bed also comes out as well as the dinette. Since the full wall doesn't extend a long way out, I don't figure it adds a lot of stress. I am sure that the Winnebago engineers designed the slide properly. We love the floor plan. Once you start personally looking at units, you will discover what is best for you.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #23

This was a terrific question that elicited a bunch of very useful info and points to consider. Thanks to all!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
This was a terrific question that elicited a bunch of very useful info and points to consider. Thanks to all!
I really do appreciate all the responses; they have given me much to think about. It's entirely possible that we'll end up with something completely different once we start actually looking at RVs, but we're trying to do some of our research ahead of time.

More responses are always welcome, but I did want to thank those who have taken the time to respond already!
Old 02-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The decision is strictly up to you. What others like or dislike about a certain RV has no bearing on what will work for you. What they can point out is some of the obvious potential problems with a layout.

-Things to look for are:
-Is the bathroom and frig accessible with the slides in?
-Are there enough drawers in the bath, kitchen and bedroom for you to live comfortably or will you have to live out of duffel bags thrown in the bottom of a closet.
-Can you get around the bed easily to make it or even get into the bed?
-Can you easily fit into the shower/tub?
-Can you easily fit into the potty area"

The top two plans look like the kitchen and bath are not usable with the slide in.

But it is your decision to live with.

Ken
Old 02-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #26

I like #3 because it has a lot of interior living space, you don't feel cramped. I have a slide in my bedroom that contains the wardrobe. I also have a north/south bed (it's a standard queen, not a short) and I love it, because if we're somewhere that opening the slide is a problem, or if we Wally-dock for a night, I don't have to worry about putting the slides out to access the bed for sleeping. With the living room slide in it's a little tight, but still perfectly usable. Some coaches I've been in, if the slides aren't out you lose the ability to actually use the coach. That's something you want to pay attention to, IMO.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I like #3 also. The opposing slides is really impressive. I have two slides too but mine aren't across from each other. A buddy of mine has opposing ones and the difference in living space is huge.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The top two plans look like the kitchen and bath are not usable with the slide in.
If that's the case, we wouldn't buy either of them.

It might help that we are both thin. But if not, then we'd have to rule those out. That's something we won't know until we see them. Definitely don't want a rig we can't use without the slide out.

I am looking at things like drawers, wardrobes, etc. In the bedroom, I don't want either of us to have to have a full-length wardrobe right next to where our pillow is -- too easy to hit with an elbow in the night and no place to set your book, glasses, etc. on. Much prefer bedside tables on both sides, and plan 3 would be the least desirable in that vein, since it does have a wardrobe on one side of the bed.

The reason for the North-South bed is that we don't really want a slide in the bedroom and most if not all units with the bed configured the other way do have slides. We're looking for a unit with FULL under-bed storage (lift-up bed to store items under) to store a take apart kayak in. If the bed slides out, you lose a good portion of that space to the slide.

Yes, I've been looking at LOTS of photos on rvtrader.com!

Tags
slide