Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelGal View Post
If that's the case, we wouldn't buy either of them.

It might help that we are both thin. But if not, then we'd have to rule those out. That's something we won't know until we see them. Definitely don't want a rig we can't use without the slide out.

I am looking at things like drawers, wardrobes, etc. In the bedroom, I don't want either of us to have to have a full-length wardrobe right next to where our pillow is -- too easy to hit with an elbow in the night and no place to set your book, glasses, etc. on. Gotta have a bedside table. We don't really want a slide in the bedroom because we're looking for a unit with FULL under-bed storage (lift-up bed to store items under) to store a take apart kayak in. If the bed slides out, you lose a good portion of that space to the slide.

Yes, I've been looking at LOTS of photos on rvtrader.com!
Our RV is very useable with the slides in - although you can't walk around the bed or access the lower/shoe storage.

We do have a slideout in the bedroom that gives us that walkaround room and we have a LOT of underbed storage. Not only do we have lift up storage under the bed, we also have another storage compartment at the head of the bed. We do have to have the bedroom slide out to use it, and then shift the mattress down. Our 32' RV has a LOT of bedroom storage:

- underbed lift up storage
- 2nd underbed storage compartment
- bed side / nightstands on both sides, with drawers on both sides
- double door hanging wardrobe
- double shelf / shoe storage under the wardrobe
- double shelf storage next to the wardrobe
- built in laundry hamper

You can see our "extra" underbed storage in this thread Newfound storage and a newfound leak

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #30

Quote:
We're looking for a unit with FULL under-bed storage (lift-up bed to store items under) to store a take apart kayak in. If the bed slides out, you lose a good portion of that space to the slide.

Yes, I've been looking at LOTS of photos on rvtrader.com!
Keep in mind that if you are looking at a DP (diesel pusher), depending on the year/manufacturer/etc, the engine is under the bed and may not have any storage. In ours, the only storage is the perimeter of the mattress box and is only accessible by lifting the mattress and platform. Suitable for stuff you don't use often.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #31

for just the sake of picking slides... #3. To me its not how many slides, but how small and light it is. All it takes is one slide for it to break down...
Old 02-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Smile How much time inside vs outside?

For us, it was the floorplan. We live in our coach awaiting retirement from snow country. Sitting outside in lawn chairs year round doesn't happen, so we spend a lot of time inside and besides, we enjoy inviting friends over. Consider your RV lifestyle and which rooms are most important. If you see yourself primarily outside, then structural considerations may be more important as well as overall coach quality. We have a 36' Newmar Canyon Star with two slides opposite each other in kitchen/living area and a third in the bedroom for the bed. I'd choose RV3 with an 'open' living area which also gives ease from front to back when slides are in.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Keep in mind that if you are looking at a DP (diesel pusher), depending on the year/manufacturer/etc, the engine is under the bed and may not have any storage. In ours, the only storage is the perimeter of the mattress box and is only accessible by lifting the mattress and platform. Suitable for stuff you don't use often.
Not looking at a DP. Most 30-31' Class A's are gassers, and that is what we are looking for. Here's an example of the under-bed storage I mentioned:

This would store the take-apart tandem kayak we plan to purchase. So, no slides in the bedroom for us. I can certainly see why people like them, but we all have our own requirements, right?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
for just the sake of picking slides... #3. To me its not how many slides, but how small and light it is. All it takes is one slide for it to break down...
And that's why I'm liking plan #2 best now. Only one slide to potentially have problems. After reading some of the posts above, even though plan #3 has more interior space with both slides out, I don't really care for the idea of having a passenger-side slide that is under the awning. We plan to spend a lot of time outside under the awning, and it seems like having the ability to angle it more flexibly depending on sun conditions and not have anything "jutting" into the patio area would be preferable to the indoor space, especially since it's just the two of us -- no children or grandkids. Even having one slide will feel very spacious compared to the 30' sailboat we used to own (no slides and a large part of that 30' was taken up by a huge rear cockpit)!

I also looked at photos of the interior of #2, and it appears that there will still be a passageway to use the kitchen and bathroom with the slide in. Not a huge space to be sure, but we're both slim and plan to stay that way!

Great feedback, everyone!
Old 02-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Not looking at a DP. Most 30-31' Class A's are gassers, and that is what we are looking for. Here's an example of the under-bed storage I mentioned:

This would store the take-apart tandem kayak we plan to purchase. So, no slides in the bedroom for us. I can certainly see why people like them, but we all have our own requirements, right?
I wouldn't necessarily say that. We have underbed storage very similar to this - although it is split into 2 comparments. The larger of the two is accessed by lifting up the bed.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #36

So much depends on how you plan to use your coach. If you are going to go someplace and stay for awhile, the extra space from opposing slides are GREAT. If you plan on doing mostly driving and just spending a night somewhere, slides make access to storage area more dificult or impossible. For us the extra space was well worth the lack of access while on the road. Motorhome life is cramped at best and the extra room was really nice while parked.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #37

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
1. We like north/south bed, both sides have a window and you get cross breezes.
2. We would take #3 as the space for inside living appears to have the most room.
Would have to actually see the unit as the placement of the awning makes a difference to us as we actually sit outside.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The floor plan is the most important thing to consider. Don't worry about your rv being too wide with opposing slides to fit in a campsite, I've rv'd for over 30 years now and never seen a site that was that small. Being able to use your rv while the slides are in is also important. We can use everything easily in our rv while the slides are in and that's been handy when we stop while traveling for a quick lunch break and don't want to or can't run the slides out because of where we stopped.
Easyrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #39

Good points all.

As for how we plan to use the MH, we plan on mostly staying in state and national park campgrounds, not RV resort type places. Many have a two-week limit, so we will be moving around (we want to see the US and parts of Canada, maybe Mexico as well), but certainly not every day or two unless we have intolerable neighbors. We'd also like to boondock occasionally.

We aren't big on entertaining, so it would almost always be just the two of us indoors.

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Once you actually get inside some RV's you will find more things to consider than just the slides. Each manufacturer does things slightly differently with how things are arranged. You really need to go and get inside ALOT of RV's.
Really imagine you, your wife and your dog inside and living in it. Have both you and your wife pretend that you are doing normal things like preparing food. Using the bathroom. Sleeping. You name it you need to see yourselves doing it. And you need to see the RV with the slides in to see how it impacts what you might be able to do while traveling or a quick stop at either a truck stop, rest area, side of the road, welcome center, etc for a bathroom break or a quick lunch break. If you can't get to the bathroom or the fridge while the slides are in that maybe more of a deal breaker than just how many slides it has and what the configuration is.
Really look at how much storage places there are inside AND outside. You will find some of the ones that look like lots of space is because usually there is no place to store anything except in the kitchen (maybe). Once you get inside and start to look you will find that what you thought might be important might not be so important anymore.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #41

So much depends on who is making the coach, when it comes to structual strength and slide functionality. Without knowing the coach involved, I'll pass on voting for one of these three.

On slides in general. Some thoughts from when we were researching.

If gas is your future coach. Take a look at Rexhall. Not a well know builder, but a builder of high strength structures. Bil Rex engineers outstanding rigs, including large slides. Take a look at their site, and read up on their steel frame structures. IMO, they build gas and diesel RVs, that are some of the safest on the road. I would have not concern with the lont term viability of their large slides.

If diesel rigs are in your future. You have different options based upon the kind of chassis available in the heavier duty DP's. Peak, Dynomax and the upgraded Entergra chassis - are three examples of structually more sound chassis. (Others too, but those are three I recall from my research. Not knocking Roadmaster, Freigthliner or Spartan chassis...)

Slides in general, my thoughts. And again, dependent upon the manufacturer you are considering. But in general:
1st: Two slides, driver side only
2nd: Three slides, with third slide in the bedroom on the passenger side
3rd: One slide, super slide on the driver side only

On slides, I too prefer to have not plumbing moving in and ad with a slide. In the kitchen, it is more then just the mechanical moving in and out, you also lose cabinet space due to the slide.

When consider slide and interaction with storage. On DP's I liked pass thru with two way slide trays. As noted, access to basement with an open slide, can be tough, but with carefuly packing you can reduce the need to access the under slide side cabinets. And with the pull out slides, the impact is reduced. (I pack things that are a one time set up at camp on the slide side. Chairs, BBQ, Camp Fire In A Can, LP Bottle are examples of items I pull out and set up at a camp site usually before extending the slide.)

But, what really matters the most is what is important to you, as far as living in the interior. What is important to one person, is not important to another. One example is a friend of ours who bought a Foretravel U320, and wondered why we did not look them over very close in our searching. To my DW, a large galley with plenty of counter and cabinet space was very important. The Foretravels we walked thru, had small to medium galley's. So though we respected the build quality (and I lusted for the ISM) of the Foretravel - it would not have kept her happy on the inside space. It all comes down to what the buyer is looking for!

Below, I took a snap shot of one of the Rexhall gas model floor plans, happens to be a UFO which was a 8.1 Gas chassis I had interest in before deciding to go the DP route. The inside space with the two large slides on this 37' coach, provides more living space then most 45' rigs with four slides...

Best of luck in you look, and keep researching the pro's and con's of the manufacturers chassis, as this could make a difference in your comfort level of slides qty and size.

Have fun,
Smitty

Old 02-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TarheelGal,

I would go with the 2 opposing slide floor plan. It offers more living room space, although we also prefer an enclosed bath with all the facilities in one room and that floor plan doesn't have it. We like being able to heat the bathroom in the morning so it's nice when you get out of the shower...and it's more private as well. I know this wasn't part of your question-but I had to throw that in.

Tags
slide