Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Really imagine you, your wife and your dog inside and living in it.
Absolutely -- although I am "the wife" in this case.

All your points are well taken. I was really just looking to get feedback specific to slide-outs in this thread, though. Obviously storage, layout, liveability, and quality are all major considerations. But everything else being equal or close to it, I was curious about slide-outs and what configuration people preferred and why. Have learned a lot from all the posts in this thread.

Thanks!

TarheelGAL
TarheelGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
If gas is your future coach. Take a look at Rexhall. Not a well know builder, but a builder of high strength structures. Bil Rex engineers outstanding rigs, including large slides. Take a look at their site, and read up on their steel frame structures. IMO, they build gas and diesel RVs, that are some of the safest on the road. I would have not concern with the lont term viability of their large slides.
Thanks Smitty, I'll have a look. Had not heard of this manufacturer. We're looking for a used but newer (say 2004+). lower-mileage rig in the 30' range, a gasser, which limits the choice of floorplans quite a bit. Nearly all Class As in this size have similar configurations (queen bed in back, dinette and sofa in front), so then it comes down to storage, finishes, quality, chassis, and yes, slide-out configuration. We are willing to do some remodeling/upgrading of the interior if we don't like the fabrics, floor type, etc.

Appreciate your feedback and insights!
TarheelGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
I like opposing living room slides. Our coach has three slides: opposing living room and one bedroom. My parents have a coach with one living room slide and one bedroom slide, both on the drivers side. They have a recliner behind the passenger seat and if someone is sitting on the recliner and the couch, it is difficult to walk between their legs etc. Just feels a tad crowded(even though it really isn't) With our coach and the two opposing slides, the living room is huge. You can walk down the middle even with people stretched out on both couches.

We prefer an East/West bed but true, with the slide in, we can't access the dresser. Really not a big deal to us. If I had my choice, I would have gotten a coach with 4 slides. We have a DP and with our particular model, there is no under bed storage. Not a bid deal for us as the bedroom has tons of storage elsewhere.

As for the awning, true, it does kind of suck to not be able to angle the awning down. We looked at one coach, an Itasca Ellipse, that had the awnings on the side of the slides, not above them(it still had slide toppers). This made for a much more friendly angle to the awning.

Someone mentioned they liked having the basement storage on the slide. I personally HATE this for two main reasons:
1) you have to be really careful how much stuff you put in the compartments because you don't want to put to much load on the slide mechanism
2) No pass through storage. This is a big one for me cause I like to be able to have the option to carry long things like an outdoor rug or a ladder etc. Our current rig has only one very small pass through storage compartment as the drivers slide has the compartments on it. This was a compromise for me as finances dictated it. If we every upgrade, there will be full pass through storage.

As for structural integrity regarding number of slides in a box etc...I trust the engineers know what they are doing. Just look at minivans nowadays. They have 2 front doors, 2 full large sliding rear doors on each side and the entire rear of the vehicle opens up. THAT's a lot of holes and the structural integrity is fine. All the doors help with structure stay together. Same thing with slides, when they are closed, they become part of the structural integrity.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide