Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #1

Which slide configuration would you prefer?

Looking at the following three slide-out configurations, which would you prefer and why? (Sorry they're a little small, but focus more on the slide-outs than other details of the plan if you would.)

Which would you least prefer and why?

I'm still RV dreaming so trying to understand the pros and cons of single vs. double slides, slides on just one side vs. both sides (seems like both sides might not work as well in tighter campsites), and so forth.

Thanks so much for weighing in!

Emily

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #2

A good rule of thumb is, the less slides and the smaller the slide---the less trouble and expense you have.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #3

I would only consider #2 because superslides#1, would worry me to death about structural integrity being compromised. #3 would bother me with the idea of a LP gas line flexing every time the slide was moved. BTW #2 is the slide configuration I have in my coach.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #4

We picked our MH primarily based on floor plan. How many or which side the slides were on didn't even enter into the equation.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
We picked our MH primarily based on floor plan. How many or which side the slides were on didn't even enter into the equation.
Got it. But in this case, all the floorplans are similar enough to be acceptable to us (at least on paper) and each rig is the same length, tankage, etc. That's why I'm curious about the slides. Just trying to take everything into consideration...
Old 02-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #6

Number two is pretty much identical to my 37g winne. It adds enough room to the main kitchen and living area but when retracted is still 100 percent functional. Some units block cabinets or closets or even bathrooms unless the slide is out. I like it to function closed as well. As far as the bedroom, I dont spend much time other than sleeping in there so no need for too many extras. My buddies coach, he cant get into his dresser unless the bedroom slide is extended. As stated slides can be a repair issue in the future so why overdo it. Dont think I would want the whole side of coach to slide either. Where my slide comes in I lose quite a bit of basement storage so I wouldnt want to lose any more than my 12ft slide takes up now. hope this helps. Good luck and happy camping
Old 02-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #7

As stated above, pick the floorplan you like. For us it was four slides.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #8

I have no slides in my MH, conscience decision based on our needs and use. We also have no levelers. Slide to me, and for my use serve no function other than giving more floor space. The slide on my MH adds 2000 pounds to the vehicle weight, hydrolic levelers would have added roughly another 1200 pounds. Carrying the added weight, maintenance on things I would rarely use just didn't make a lot of sense to me, not to mention the added MPG loss from carrying the added weight. Not concerned about resale value as it would be relative to what I paid for the unit. Again, personal decision, that may not be what others would do or want, but works for me.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobe05 View Post
I have no slides in my MH, conscience decision based on our needs and use. We also have no levelers. Slide to me, and for my use serve no function other than giving more floor space. The slide on my MH adds 2000 pounds to the vehicle weight, hydrolic levelers would have added roughly another 1200 pounds. Carrying the added weight, maintenance on things I would rarely use just didn't make a lot of sense to me, not to mention the added MPG loss from carrying the added weight. Not concerned about resale value as it would be relative to what I paid for the unit. Again, personal decision, that may not be what others would do or want, but works for me.
Fair enough -- but there are very few smaller (30-31') class A's without slides in the age range we're looking at (2004+ primarily). Also, it will be a couple and a dog and probably full-timing, so the space a slide offers is a big plus for not tripping over nor killing one another, I think!

Definitely leaning towards Plan 2 from the comments above, but keep 'em coming! Thanks!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't like
  • Full side slides - concerned of problems and structual integrity
  • Kitchen in slide - heavy and complicated due to plumbing and gas lines
  • Main area slides on passenger side - if awning is above the slide, the awning is too high, won't tilt down, and has less coverage and shade provided
  • Main area slides on passenger side - reduces outside usable area, especially a problem in tight CG spaces
  • Drivers/passenger side main area slides that are too far forward and when retracted keep the drivers/passengers seat from reclining
I like
  • Storage bins that extend with the side - makes for easy access, but be aware not to overload
  • Bedroom slides on both sides - more inside room
  • Larger bedroom slide that includes a wardrobe / inside storage
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #11

As others have said I don't like full slides so first is out. I also don't like a slide that extends into the patio ( pass side ) area. So I wouldn't go with the 3rd one either. Of these 3 I would take the middle one.
Darlene
Old 02-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #12

TarheelGal - There are a few significant things to think about with slide outs.

1. You should have at least one. They make life inside your motorhome much more enjoyable.
2. Extended slides block access to basement storage. Passenger side front slides also intrude into your patio sitting area.
3. Since your three choices are shorter motorhomes I assume that is what you want. There are lots of good choices. A bunch of our friends have 33' - 35' class A gas coaches with one or two driver side slides. These are really useful good plans.
4. In general slides with kitchens in them only go out 18". Slides without kitchens go out farther.
5. If you plan to have lots of people inside your coach all the time get two opposing slides in the front. Even though it will make it harder to use the basement storage it will give you more room inside for card games, dinners with friends, and so on.

We chose a longer coach with two drivers side slides. We are very happy with this choice. We have wide open access to the basement. No slide in our patio. With slides only on one side the bus structure is sturdier. When you punch too many holes in a box it gets weaker.

One final thing. Slides sometimes require maintenance. We had to replace the seals in both our slides in the last two years. Cost total was about $4,000. Ouch. Plus in REALLY high winds under just the worst conditions even really good slide seals can leak. This makes for wet carpets.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Unfortunately only you can decide what feels and works best. IMO none of the three would work.

1. Bed is "Short Queen", we both are tall.

2. Don't like "North/South" bed.

3. Must have two slides on the lounge area, yes the Winnie has two lounge slides, with a short bed.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally, I would say RV3 due to:

- more counter space in the kitchen
- more space in the bathroom

With Rv2 and RV3 you have a similar amount of living space. As you mention that you will be full-timing it in the RV, you will definitely want some counter space to prepare meals, have a coffee pot, etc.

RV3 appears to have some decent floor/living space for 2 people and a dog. We spend a *LOT* of time in our motorhome with 2 larger dogs (2 Labs) and even with the decent living space we have in our, will someday want to upgrade to something larger.

Here's what our floorplan looks like

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide