Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
Which to purchase

Hi Im looking to purchase my first motorhome looking for used class a im new to this have no idea which brand to purchase any help would be great looking to sleep 6 go on vacation couple times a year and tow a race car trailer some other times looking to spend about $ 60 k size around 34' Thanks in advance Russ

HemiEleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.

John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Son in Law had same requirements. He bought a 2005 Bounder with a C7, 10k tow rating and 2 slides. They love it! Enjoy the search and make sure you drive them.
Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:16 AM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most motor homes do not sleep 6 unless you find a bunkhouse model. Try to get something with 3 or 4 slides. then you can sleep 1 or 2 on the fold down couch. If you get a model with the dining table that makes into a bed 1 or 2 on it. With the 3 or 4 slide model you have enough room with both slides out to put an air mattress on the floor in the living area and that will sleep 1 or 2. Of course all of this depends on ages. Then you will have the bed in the bedroom to sleep you and your wife.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Hi HemiEleanor,
Welcome to iRV2. Make sure the coach will tow the weight you need to tow. This means checking the hitch weight rating and tongue weight rating. Next make sure the CVWR - GVWR of the coach will handle the weight you want to tow. There are bunk house and toy hauler floor plans for you to choose from.

The difficult part will be to find the floor plan in a coach that has the towing capacity and the price you are willing to pay. Overall condition is everything. When you get serious about a coach, have it checked out by a certified RVIA tech (for the coach) and a certified SAE tech for the automotive part of the coach. A few bucks spent here may save you misery down the road.

Now it is time for the fun part. Start looking. Local dealers and online are good places to start.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
I know you said you wanted a class A but when we traveled with 5 (sometimes 6) a Class C actually fit the profile a bit better. The cab-over bunk was a queen bed for two kids and it had storage up there for their toys and clothes, we had a queen bed in the back for the adults and we had two couches that could be made up into large beds. We didn't full-time but for 2 week trips it had more than enough room for the items we brought.
Steven and Stephanie
2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2008 Hyundai Elantra
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You could do 6 in a Class A if you have enough slides, I have a King (I had a queen in Master in my '99), couch has air mattress which is a queen, and other couch makes into a comfortable full, but the back/seat split wouldn't make it real comfortable for adults in my opinion. I carry a twin and queen Intex Supreme airflow mattress with built in compressor

Intex® Supreme Air-Flow Bed : Cabela's,

which fits on the floor and there is still sufficient room to get to the bathroom.

I agree if you are going to be sleeping more than 4 regularly, you may want to look hard at a Class C or Super C, may fit your needs better than a Class A. Good Luck!

Johnny Rotten
2009 American Eagle 42'
Trailering HD Road Glide and Saab 9.3 or Cadillac Escalade ESV
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote