Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2017, 12:15 PM   #1

Which used Class A DP to buy

Hi everyone. I realize my question is going to bring forth many opinions. That's fine, cause I need everyones ideas and views on Class A diesel pushers. My history: I bought a new 2014 Fleetwood Storm 32H. I have put 18500 miles on the coach. It has proved to be exactally what I paid for. A good lower end cross over gasser with a good lay out. I have had only minor problems with the RV, same as any other coach in any price range. We now want to move into a used DP no longer than 38 foot. The DP will have to be at least 7 years old, which puts me looking for something around 2010 or older. Mileage on a diesel is not an issue unless it's close to 100k. I would rather stay under 50k if possible. Cat vs Cummings makes no difference to me. I know Cats are a little more expensive to maintain, but a great motor. Bunks are a must (unless a killer deal pops up without bunks). This puts me looking at 2010 Tiffin Allegro QBA or an other Fleetwood Discovery D, problem with the Fleetwood its 40 foot. The Thor Palazzo has bunks, but I have read nothing good about that company. Let me hear from you all, as to your views and opinions as what to stay away from or what to look for. Thanks.
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2017, 12:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBunker View Post
The DP will have to be at least 7 years old, which puts me looking for something around 2010 or older. Mileage on a diesel is not an issue unless it's close to 100k. I would rather stay under 50k if possible. Cat vs Cummings makes no difference to me. I know Cats are a little more expensive to maintain, but a great motor. Bunks are a must (unless a killer deal pops up without bunks). This puts me looking at 2010 Tiffin Allegro QBA or an other Fleetwood Discovery D, problem with the Fleetwood its 40 foot. The Thor Palazzo has bunks, but I have read nothing good about that company. Let me hear from you all, as to your views and opinions as what to stay away from or what to look for. Thanks.
I'm in the same boat - looking to buy and trying to figure out what is best for me. We are in the same year range and length, so I assume we are in the same price range too ($100K-125K)

First, I'm not a fan of Thor. I read a lot of quality complaints on the forums. I looked at a Thor Palazzo at the dealership and was not impressed with the workmanship.

I'm leaning towards Tiffin RED and Winnebago Journey or Forza and the Newmar Ventana LE. These seem to be the top-quality builds and have the larger diesel engines and GVWR.
The Fleetwood Pace Arrow would also be a candidate, for me.
But once you've seen those top-end interiors, its hard to go with less.

So it's just a matter of finding one for sale with the best combination of floorplan, mileage, and price.

Also, note that I'm not a previous Class A owner, so my opinions come only from reading these forums and manufacturer brochures and some viewings at the dealership.

Good luck
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBunker View Post
Hi everyone. I realize my question is going to bring forth many opinions. That's fine, cause I need everyones ideas and views on Class A diesel pushers. My history: I bought a new 2014 Fleetwood Storm 32H. I have put 18500 miles on the coach. It has proved to be exactally what I paid for. A good lower end cross over gasser with a good lay out. I have had only minor problems with the RV, same as any other coach in any price range. We now want to move into a used DP no longer than 38 foot. The DP will have to be at least 7 years old, which puts me looking for something around 2010 or older. Mileage on a diesel is not an issue unless it's close to 100k. I would rather stay under 50k if possible. Cat vs Cummings makes no difference to me. I know Cats are a little more expensive to maintain, but a great motor. Bunks are a must (unless a killer deal pops up without bunks). This puts me looking at 2010 Tiffin Allegro QBA or an other Fleetwood Discovery D, problem with the Fleetwood its 40 foot. The Thor Palazzo has bunks, but I have read nothing good about that company. Let me hear from you all, as to your views and opinions as what to stay away from or what to look for. Thanks.
40' is a decent size especially if you going to live in it 3 months out of the year. After about 5 or 6 years of age you will find that what you are basically looking at is a chassis and floor plan that suits you best. When I say chassis, It's basically Freightliner and Engines are mostly "350 - 450hp" cummins engine - the more HP the better if you are planning towing a toad. Most of the parts of the ancillary systems in the coach are interchangeable across brands. I found that the most important to my wife and I was the floorplan (No TV over Front window). Fit and finish and quality of the Cabinets
is really secondary except they should be in good working order and not beat up. Buying a DP with 50k or less is preferable but don't walk away from something that is several thousand miles more. I would not consider anything over 75k miles though. For 2010 and older plan on spending north of $100k until you drop down to the 2005 models than you will see prices soften a bit.
Banks tend not to finance anything over 7 years old and if they do, expect to pay a bit more interest on the loan.
We spent over 6 months looking for ours and we wound up with a 2008 Mandalay Coach (now Thor)
krudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:16 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm in the same arena, looking for a 36-38 DP 5-7 yrs old. Thinking Newmar or Tiffin
bevo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:55 PM   #5

I'm new at this rolling heavy weight machine too. I imagine anything, and every thing you get has a risk attached. "Motorhome" might just be an odd, old name for: "Its not complete". You, the buyer, will attempt to make it so. A huge learning curve for some, a deal beaker for others. I afford this adventure because I can do the work on my machine...so far. I know I will learn along the way, systems where put there by folks, I can figure them out.
The safest thing to do is Stay home and watch TV.

I want to live and see what's out there
Old 09-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #6

Some very good observations so far, I really appreciate everyone's input. Tiffin or Newmar has my attention so far. The 36 foot QBA Tiffins are like Unicorns, but I have all the time to look
Old 09-10-2017, 08:57 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Rather have a older Foretravel ...
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:02 AM   #8

Where did you get the impression that a diesel engine will start to have issues at 100k miles?

At 50k, a diesel is not even fully broken in yet.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #9

I completely understand that Fatchance. Most RVs need not worry about anything around 100k miles, especially on a Cat. However, depending on preventive maintenance of the previous owner, taking a Cat or Cummings to 350-400 miles with out a $20000 rebuild is very doable. It's the feeling of getting a little extra for your investment when you buy a DP with mileage under 50k. If I knew the RV and knew the owner, I would not be afraid of 150k on a Cat or Cummings. Ya can't forget, at 150k miles, it's not all about the engine. Other **** wears out before the motor. Especially on CA highways.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Miller View Post
Rather have a older Foretravel ...
A 36' U320 Foretravel with slide would be my choice. Something about those Foretravels that's pretty hard to beat. Saw an incredible looking one at a gas station recently and the owner was surprised that I knew what it was!
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:00 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
A 36' U320 Foretravel with slide would be my choice. Something about those Foretravels that's pretty hard to beat. Saw an incredible looking one at a gas station recently and the owner was surprised that I knew what it was!
I have ran with some nice ones too... Nice rigs for sure !
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:03 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Where did you get the impression that a diesel engine will start to have issues at 100k miles?

At 50k, a diesel is not even fully broken in yet.
47,000+ on my ISX and it's been rebuilt twice, both times due to a broken valve in #6. Poor design on Cummins and there is no recall to fix them although they did redesign the head and valves.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
I agree. Older Foretravels are awesome MH's but do your homework here too. One place here in Texas that always has a slew of them can be found here:
http://motorhomesoftexas.com
I've heard nothing but good praise about this place too.

Just remember if you go this 36" - 38" route, (or any DP for that matter) don't over look the CCC. Just because it's a DP—doesn't mean—it can carry a lot of stuff. Usually, DP's have a lot more systems on them which takes up more weight. There was a fella here on this forum about a month ago that bought a 40' DP only come to find out on his 2nd or 3rd trip out, he weighed his coach, he was nearly maxed out on his CCC and he had hardly put anything in it yet. He was very disappointed to say the least. Don't remember the model.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Given my experience, I would avoid the 2007-2009 diesels. The early emission controls have given me a lot of problems on my current MH. The Cummins service manager advised me to avoid those years when I told him I was considering a different coach due to repetitive repairs on my current one.

------- Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a