Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8
Whining noise from Dash AC Fan

I am new to this forum and just (December 2013) got my 2013 Discovery 40X. Bought it used with 6500 miles on it.

I have now taken it on 2 small (about 600 mile) trips and noticed that when I run the dash AC, it all works great, but I hear a whining noise every time the fan or compressor kicks in. It sounds like noise you here from a hydraulic pump.. It comes from the compressor area. When inside the cab, you can barely hear it, but outside it is very audible.

Does anybody know if you are suppose to here such a load noise when the fain/compressor runs?

Appreciate the help..

Ron
__________________

__________________
Ronvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronvp View Post
I am new to this forum and just (December 2013) got my 2013 Discovery 40X. Bought it used with 6500 miles on it.

I have now taken it on 2 small (about 600 mile) trips and noticed that when I run the dash AC, it all works great, but I hear a whining noise every time the fan or compressor kicks in. It sounds like noise you here from a hydraulic pump.. It comes from the compressor area. When inside the cab, you can barely hear it, but outside it is very audible.

Does anybody know if you are suppose to here such a load noise when the fain/compressor runs?

Appreciate the help..

Ron
I think you'll need to define the area of the sound ...I am assuming you are diesel ... normally, the compressor is in the rear (on engine), the dash fan is under passenger dashboard, the vacuum pump is somewhere on the firewall (usually over generator), and the condenser fan is usually lower on chassis (roughly in area of passenger seat underneath). All of these make noise and the locations of components are variable. You can try running the dash defroster without A/C and see what happens. The defroster will utilize the dash fan and vacuum pump.
__________________

__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
al2ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,278
If you hear it when the AC is off then it's usually a bad idler pulley or clutch bearings in your compressor. If it happens when you turn it on (clutch on compressor engaged) then it could be your compressor going out. Grab a long screwdriver or an automotive stethoscope to see if you can pin point it. It should not whine.
__________________
USAF Veteran
2014 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I think you'll need to define the area of the sound ...I am assuming you are diesel ... normally, the compressor is in the rear (on engine), the dash fan is under passenger dashboard, the vacuum pump is somewhere on the firewall (usually over generator), and the condenser fan is usually lower on chassis (roughly in area of passenger seat underneath). All of these make noise and the locations of components are variable. You can try running the dash defroster without A/C and see what happens. The defroster will utilize the dash fan and vacuum pump.
Sorry for not being clear, I have a diesel pusher, sounds is coming from the front-middle of the coach, right where the compressor is. It is not the dash fan. that does not make much noise at all...
__________________
Ronvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Selah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,319
We have, probably, the same whining noise. It comes from the very high speed electric fan on the condenser unit which is directly underneath the drivers compartment. Hardly noticed inside like you said.
__________________
Paul, Kathy, and Tux the Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
homeless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: http://binged.it/1KdDqKO
Posts: 2,316
Blog Entries: 1
It might be a snake skin!!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
We have, probably, the same whining noise. It comes from the very high speed electric fan on the condenser unit which is directly underneath the drivers compartment. Hardly noticed inside like you said.
thanks for that. o will leave it for now and I will ask a mechanic on the next service.
__________________
Ronvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronvp View Post
Sorry for not being clear, I have a diesel pusher, sounds is coming from the front-middle of the coach, right where the compressor is. It is not the dash fan. that does not make much noise at all...
I'm not familiar with your RV but most diesel pushers have an engine mounted compressor (like a car) that has very long hoses all the way to the front. At the front is is the conventional stuff but in weird places (condenser, evaporator, a condenser fan, a 12vdc vacuum pump to operate the deflectors, and a dash circulation fan).

In other words, on a diesel pusher, you hear compressor noise by standing at the rear radiator area.

The condenser, which in a car is behind a front radiator, is a standalone unit that is normally in the airstream down low in the driver or passenger area under the coach. It will have a separate fan ... like a front wheel drive transverse car since it can't use the mechanical fan normally on the front of an engine.


Welcome to diesel pushers !! .... you will be doin' a whole bunch of WHAAAT?

As mentioned, the sound is probably the condenser fan. I can definitely hear mine when it engages. Typically, it does not run unless the dash A/C is running ... it's off with defroster/dash heater/non AC fresh air.
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
jrgreen's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 177
Ron, you can search this forum and find previous posts about this situation. It seems that is it what it is. As far as I know no one has found a fix. This is real disheartening since my 2008 does it and a 2013 still does it...I would have thought it would have been fixed by now. If you find a fix, please post it here. thanks.
__________________
2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40x
2002 Jeep Liberty
jrgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
palehorse89's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,747
[QUOTE=homeless;1903373]It might be a snake skin!![/QUOTE]

OH My God Ron, ..........Welcome!

( Found a snake skin )
__________________
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:57 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8
Thanks for all the help.. I will take a look at the condenser Fan and see if there is anything that can be done to make it less noisy.. if not we just have to live with it..
__________________

__________________
Ronvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dash, fan



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dash A/C and Heater Blower Fan Problem 98FPA Class A Motorhome Discussions 20 02-10-2015 07:39 PM
Oasis Fan Noise kamakalama Newmar Owner's Forum 4 01-17-2014 10:25 AM
Dash fan switch TS Select Travel Supreme Owner's Forum 0 01-07-2014 04:46 PM
Dash AC condenser fan schematic YC1 Monaco Owner's Forum 7 07-19-2013 11:32 PM
Fan motor noise eglhvn1 Class A Motorhome Discussions 12 07-18-2013 03:33 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.