RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #1

Whistle while it rains

Just pulled in to the farthest stop of our month-long round trip. We're 3,191 miles from home. 60 miles ago we went through the first moderate-to-heavy rain of the trip. As soon as it started raining, we developed a high-pitched whistle, seemingly from the windshield area.

We had much higher headwinds before. We had 80% humidity before. This was the first real rain. Thinking it was the defroster, I turned it back to vent. No change. Thinking it was the wipers, I changed the settings, and turned them off when it stopped raining. No change. The whistle only changed with speed. Within minutes of the rain stopping, the whistle went away.

The only factor that was different than the rest of the trip was the rain.

Now, I almost posted this in the Thor forum because my year Hurricane was prone to a whistle from the grill. But like I said, all the way from California to New York in all kinds of weather except rain I never had a whistle. This is a Southern California motorhome, it doesn't understand what rain is. Is it possible a seal could swell during rain? But the whistling stopped as soon as the rain did. Portions of the windshield not covered by the wipers were still sopping wet. It was only the physical rain that had stopped.

Rain is just heavy enough to make the grill whistle? Any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2017, 08:35 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Duct tape on the grill!!

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:09 PM   #3

I have a 2017 ACE 29.2 and just experienced the exact same thing coming back from Canada. Rain started and loud noise (sounded more like screech) that stopped when rain stopped and started again soon as rain started again. Just like your problem road was still very wet with puddles, but noise stopped when rain stopped. I did notice a drip of about 2 or 3 drops of water running down the inside of the windshield on drivers side. Could a leak that small cause that much noise? Trying to contact Thor now to see if they've had this before and have any answers.
Shifty103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:12 PM   #4

Sespe, Keep checking back, as I will, If one of us or anyone actually found a fix we will post it. It's a very annoying event that really distracts from the RV experience.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:09 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check the roof top marker lights and the A pillar covers. You can either remove the A pillar covers or put tape on the leading edge of them to see if the sound goes away during the next rain.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:05 AM   #6

I had a 2000 Coachmen Santara 34ft that I put a rain gutter on right across the front windshield. It worked great but at 50-65 mph it would whistle during the rain. Never heard it any other time. I had the ends drooped a little to follow the lines on the front. I lifted the ends about 1in and it quit, No more whistle.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:36 AM   #7

I have the Thor ACE, it does the same thing. I called Thor, they said they have a honeycomb grill that will take care of it and that it is covered by your warranty. I have my MH in CW now getting some minor repairs and having them replace the grill.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:20 PM   #8

I really appreciate all the advice. I'm attempting to get in touch with Thor now to see if they will cover mine under warranty. Sure would be nice to be able to drive in the rain without that added aggravation.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:24 PM   #9

I had a Blue Ox True Center steering stabilizer installed. It really helped steady out the drive of the coach, but when driving every so often we get this vibration noise, not a steady noise, just whever it feels like it. A diesel mechanic told me it was wind vibrating the heat shield due to stabilizer changing the wind pattern. He was under the coach and said the heat shield was rather flimsy. Guess that'll be my next project.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:38 PM   #10

Had the same whistle in my old 2000 Hurricane 30q. Never did figure out why.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:56 PM   #11

Rain again today, horrible whistle. Hopefully, done with the rain for a bit. It's only while it is raining?
Old 06-26-2017, 05:47 PM   #12

Just got off the phone with Thor customer service. They are sending a new grill straight to my house, and gave me an "action number". I will see if I can replace it myself, if not I have the grill and the Thor action number for the dealer to fix and charge them. So far Thor service has been great. Sure hope this solves the problem.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:26 PM   #13

I got the new grill from Thor today. It's a mesh and rolled up in a box. Now I got to figure out if it gets mounted in front or in back of the existing grill. I doubt that it's meant to replace the existing one, I think it's too flimsy. I'll post later as I get farther into this thing. Hope it stops that noise!