Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2012, 09:10 AM   #1

Whistling noise 2010 Allegro RED

Hi, new to forum. New to Class A Diesel pusher. We have had a 5th wheel for years and just 2 wks ago bought a 2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QBA.!! We love it, except for the whistling in the front of the coach going down the highway. starts about 45mph.
Repair shop couldn't figure it out.
Whistling noise seems to be around the top of the windshield. sometimes hard to say. At first I thought maybe it was the door.
Repair shop said windshield gasket was fine but they put silicone anyway. They siliconed the front of the door awning. It didn't really help. No airhorns up top.
I did not notice this on the 2011 that we test drove.
We saved about 50K on the 2010 and don't have to mess with the DEF.
Bought it in So Cali. got 10.2mpg on the way home to Albuquerque.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Chad
Sniperchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
It's probably the front drivers side window. They put a drain hole in it for rain that goes all the way through. I used some clear caulk to seal from inside and noise disappeared.
SW4UA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Our '07 Open Road had a road whistle too. Turned out to be a hole in the 'firewall' through which a wire harness entered the interior. It had not been sealed off properly. Once sealed, whistle gone.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #4

Thanks. I looked last night and didn't see any hole at all in the drivers window. didn't see any issues in the firewall either. I will keep looking. I need to check the door more and around the bottom of the windshield.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #5

Chad, some friends of ours were considering a bunk RV but they have been looking at used gas models. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for your used model?
montblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #6

Be sure to also check into this forum: http://www.tiffinrvnetwork.com
You will find a lot of help and info there.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #7

My Itasca came without the side window drain slots covers. We could hardly hear each other due to the wind noise & to my amazement the small plastic slot cover eliminated all the noise.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
This will sound really dopey but check the sound on you back up camera to make sure it is not on full for I had the same problem and guess what, that is exactly what it was. lol
jabfado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #9

129k with a 5 yr service plan. 2010. 17k mi
Old 02-03-2012, 05:53 AM   #10

Take a look at your side mirrors and see if there's a small hole in the bottom of the housing. If you find any holes, try putting a small piece of duct tape over those holes to see if it helps. I owned a Allegro Bus for 7 years and spent countless hours on the Tiffin forum ( if you haven't found it yet, Google it and you'll be pleased you did) and lots of folks had similar problems that the tape fixed. Good luck, you're going to to pleased with Tiffin and their customer service. Be sure to visit Red Bay some time, it's quite an interesting experience and you can get a factory tour twice a day.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #11

I bought my DP new and found a similar sound occurring at around 45 mpg. Dealer could not figure it out. I looked carefully around fire wall (behind the front cap). and noticed a lot of expansive sealing foam in that area. But right in front of one front wheel well the factory apparently left it out. I got a can of the sealing foam and sprayed it into the open area, and that fixed it. - good luck.
Woodpeckertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Do NOT seal window "weep" holes, they are there for a purpose. They make plastic covers that go over the weep holes that will eliminate the wind whistle but will still alow the water to escape. Put them on my last coach (drivers window, front door glass, passanger window) and enjoyed the silence.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote