Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2015, 01:26 AM   #1

White 3M finishing pad safe to wash the MH?

My coach is fairly dirty. Just finished removing the stripes. Would the white 3M finishing pad be safe to use to wash the coach? It feels a little rough to the touch. I plan to follow with a cleaner wax applied with a Porter Cable DA buffer. Looking for something a little more abrasive than sponge or wash mitt without scratching the finish.

noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2015, 01:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
My coach is fairly dirty. Just finished removing the stripes. Would the white 3M finishing pad be safe to use to wash the coach? It feels a little rough to the touch. I plan to follow with a cleaner wax applied with a Porter Cable DA buffer. Looking for something a little more abrasive than sponge or wash mitt without scratching the finish.
noserider,
Just wondering, why you think you need a bit more aggressive washing technique? Is your coach really chalky? Is it a full body paint or, just fiberglass gel coat white? If just the gel coat white, I'd maybe use some Bar Keepers Friend powder with a WORN scrubby sponge. You know, those are the ones with a sponge on one side and, the scrubby 3M type stuff on the other.

One thing I don't want to see you do is, scratch it more than you have to, to get it really clean. I have used the method I'm describing quite a few times on older fiberglass sided coaches and, it's always worked good and, not did any harshness to the regular surface.

Now, if I may, when you're completely done, that disc-abrasive sander/buffer you're thinking about is primarily for nicer paint etc. What you really need is a professional type paint buffer. The kind that spin around, oh, about 1,200 to 2,000 with adjustability of the RPMs. I use around 1,700 for rubbing out chalked fiberglass with a good 3M machine compound. That will turn your coach into an almost mirror.

Then, when you're done with that, you use the same buffer with some 3M machine "POLISH". Then it will be a mirror. And, the sides will be in much better shape. Once that's done, then your disc-abrasive sander/buffer can be used for the application and removal of a nice wax. Good luck.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #3

Scott

My coach has the white Gelcoat sides with the lower painted luggage doors. It's not very chalky but a little dull. I was just looking for something a little more abrasive than a sponge or wash mitt to help remove some harder contaminates like bugs off the front. I agree about the orbital sander but I'm a little worried about causing damage with it. I understand it can be dangerous if your not skilled with it.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #4

You might try a lite rubbing compound followed by a good coat of wax. I think the 3M would be a little to aggressive.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #5

I would not use the 3M finishing pad, you will be "sanding" the coach similar to a very fine grade paper. The pad is for final prep before painting. Test what works on a small area and proceed from there, you may have to use a compound cleaner first and follow up with a wax top coat. Depending on the condition of your paint, it may take 1, 2, or 3 steps to get the desired results, there are no easy shortcuts that I know of.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:08 PM   #6

Just remember if you're using a buffer to stay away from any decals, they need to be done by hand. You can "burn" them very easily and they will bleed color onto the white gelcoat. The color from the decals will also "color" the pad and once again bleed onto the gelcoat.

I use to to detail vehicles for a living and still do all my cars, trucks, boats and motorhomes. Fire Up was dead on, if your gelcoat is dull you'll want to use a LIGHT duty rubbing compound first, this will remove most of the oxidation. Then a polish to take out the scratches from the compound and make it smooth and bring back the shine. A wax for the final step will help prevent the oxidation from coming back for a longer period of time.

This is something that takes technique and skill, you can burn through the gelcoat fairly easily and cause yourself more problems than you had. I would suggest having someone there who knows how to buff to show what and what not to do. This is no small undertaking, it takes me around 20 hours of very had work to do an entire coach from top to bottom with all three steps. I just did my 03 34 footer and ended up doing most of it by hand. The more decals you have the more you have to do by hand.

If your decals are dry and or cracking I wouldn't use compound on them, try a small section with just the polish. If it doesn't improve or leaves streaks I would just use some 303 Aerospace Protectant or a similar product.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:44 AM   #7

Thanks guys. I just finished removing all the decals so that will simplify the process. I want to do a top to bottom wash and wax and then apply the new decals. I have a Porter Cable DA buffer and a variable speed orbital sander/buffer to help with the job as needed. I did get some light burn marks from using the 3M eraser wheel. I tried a couple different compounds in a few test areas but was not able to remove the burn marks in the white gelcoat.I may need to go with a larger decals to cover up the spots. It's pretty obvious with the decals off how the white gelcoat outside the decal area has yellowed. I was hoping I could improve this with some light compound but so far it does not look promising.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used Griot's Garage polish on my gel coat after removing the graphics. Did a good job lighting up the burn marks from the 3M wheel.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The clear coat on my basement doors was coming off, I used Meguiar's Flagship Premium Cleaner Wax with a blue scrubby sponge to polish the doors, came out great. Before waxing I used a single edge razor blade scrapper to remove the loose clear coat.
Amazon.com: Meguiar's M6132 Flagship Premium Cleaner/Wax - 32 oz.: Automotive
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
I used Griot's Garage polish on my gel coat after removing the graphics. Did a good job lighting up the burn marks from the 3M wheel.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The clear coat on my basement doors was coming off, I used Meguiar's Flagship Premium Cleaner Wax with a blue scrubby sponge to polish the doors, came out great. Before waxing I used a single edge razor blade scrapper to remove the loose clear coat.
Amazon.com: Meguiar's M6132 Flagship Premium Cleaner/Wax - 32 oz.: Automotive
Thanks for the tip. I bought some Buff Magic but did not help much with the burn marks.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just kept going over it with the #1polish until I got it where I wanted it. I've seen different grades of 3M polishes similar to Griot's.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:32 PM   #11

Using that pad is not advisable. One MH mfgr. even says not to use a microfiber cloth on their gelcoat or paint because it will leave scratch marks.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Using that pad is not advisable. One MH mfgr. even says not to use a microfiber cloth on their gelcoat or paint because it will leave scratch marks.
LOL..It's a far cry from the micofiber cloth for sure. Not going to sand I mean wash with the 3m scrubbie. I think I read about it when the guys are going to apply the Zep. Not Zeppin yet. I think I created a new word.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:17 AM   #13

I personally wouldn't use anything made by 3M for washing my MH. 3M to me means abrasives for most part. Try something more "Microfibre"
Old 04-11-2015, 08:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
LOL..It's a far cry from the micofiber cloth for sure. Not going to sand I mean wash with the 3m scrubbie. I think I read about it when the guys are going to apply the Zep. Not Zeppin yet. I think I created a new word.
Zeppin is not a new word, you just left out the "L".

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote