Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #1

White exhaust smoke and some type of leak but runs great

Ok I have a 94 itasca class a with ford 7.5 v8 the unit starts and runs great quite no over heating but I did notice white smoke coming from tail pipe It seems to go away once the unit is running and driving But in my driveway this evening I noticed there was some type of oil or liquid underneath the unit It was raining So the ground is wet and it did not mix with water Put my finger In it but it had no odor at all Nor do you have any type of greasy feeling I'm wondering if it wasn't anti-freeze The unit seems to be cooling the engine fine and it drives great any ideas
Broncosguru7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
smoke

White smoke is probably water or coolant, blue smoke is oil and black smoke is fuel. You might want to pressure test your cooling system and get an oil analysis to see if coolant or water is present. Is there oil in the coolant surge tank?
chuydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
It's not unusual for white vapor /steam to come from the tailpipe until a gas engine warms up in cooler weather. if the last few morning you have been in the 30's-40's it would be normal...Particularly if it stops when the engine warms up.. Coolant getting into the engine cylinders would continue to make white smoke..
Check for external leak after the rain...
Good luck..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club

Because of the size and length of your exhaust, it takes a while for it to warm up. The cool pipes will cool and condense all the water vapor in the exhaust, causing 'white smoke' until it heats up. You'll also get water drops out the tailpipe until it's hot. You don't want white, blue, or black smoke once it's up to temperature. Watch all fluid levels and only worry if you start to lose coolant and gain oil. At least you know the exhaust system doesn't have holes or leaks if it's coming out the end instead of the middle!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuydog View Post
White smoke is probably water or coolant, blue smoke is oil and black smoke is fuel. You might want to pressure test your cooling system and get an oil analysis to see if coolant or water is present. Is there oil in the coolant surge tank?
I'm new to this and I may sound a little ignorant for this but I'm not even sure what the coolant surge tank is. Can this be easily checked or should I just take the unit to a mechanic just hate to take unit in and get robbed by someone telling me its something major if its not
Broncosguru7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncosguru7 View Post
I'm new to this and I may sound a little ignorant for this but I'm not even sure what the coolant surge tank is. Can this be easily checked or should I just take the unit to a mechanic just hate to take unit in and get robbed by someone telling me its something major if its not
Some fokls call them the coolant puke tank as well.
there is a small hose (1/4 inch) attached to the radidator just under the Radidator cap The other end of that hose will be at the coolant tank. (usually on the bottom of the tank)
It have 2 marks on it
Full Hot
Full Cold
Make sure its full....at all times.
Do NOT fill it to the hot line when The engine is cold.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
The coolant surge tank is to hold excess coolant when the engine heats up. As the engine cools, it pulls coolant back into the radiator and cooling system from the tank to keep it full. It is usually close to the radiator and has a screw cap on it. The tank will have markings to show levels when hot or cold. This is where you add anti-freeze and water mix when needed.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
This is what they are supposed to look like. Should be near the radiator.
Winnebago Itasca Coolant Reservoir Bottle motorhome GM Class A RV Antifreeze | eBay

Looking for any sign of oil getting into the coolant. Also if water or coolant is getting into engine oil it will look milky. Unless you see any other indication, I would just look for a external leak leaving that puddle under the MH. Watch your fluid levels as BFlinn posted...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #9

If it is coolant getting into a cylinder or cylinders, the exhaust exiting the tail pipe will have a strange smell, kinda sweet smelling.
While the engines running, go to the end of the tail pipe, put your hand into the exiting flow then smell of your hand.
Those 460s sometimes will blow the head gasket between the cylinders & then leak coolant into the cylinders. They sometimes will crack the heads from high exhaust temps & then leak coolant into the cylinders like that.

Do you have any idea, if that engine has had any work done to it, maybe say one of the heads replaced because of a broken off ear for the exhaust manifold.
They are prone for that happening & then the head would need to be replaced.
Neil

Tags
leak