Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2019, 04:41 PM   #1

White Knuckle Driving

Wind, ruts, large trucks, is it possible? Is it possible to drive your coach without so much stress? Here is a shop that can help with all of those issues. Highly recommend. Their website can be found here:
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2019, 05:14 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
White Knuckle Driving

We went to Henderson’s in June of this year. While not cheap, they helped us optimize the ride in our coach. If you have an F53, it will still drive like a truck, but much better than before. The people there are great and I learned a LOT about my suspension.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #3

While not at Henderson’s we just went through phase 1 an 2 with Alignments Plus in San Marcos, CA this morning.
We’ve got about $1600 worth of “enhancements” coming up and that’s before the Steering stabilizer and probably new Koni shocks. We’re looking forward to having a little better of a ride once these things are completed.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #4

Where are they?
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:56 PM   #5

Is it possible to drive your coach without so much stress?

Yes.

See our mod's in our signature.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:05 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I should also mention that correct tire pressure makes a big difference. After weighing each corner you can consult your tire manufacturer for a table to determine the appropriate weight for the front and rear tires.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:35 AM   #7

We have Safe-T-Plus on our front end.
Our tires are properly inflated.
Recently driving east from CA to FL with gusting winds at 15 to 30 I often put down my coffee cup. And yes, the rig would want to sway back and forth.

On calmer days I can drive one-handed.

When new to driving a class A, I was gripping the wheel too tight, oversteering, etc. Now it's easier, I know the MH, I steer by looking way ahead and anticipate the forces from trucks as they go by.

Yes, you can sink thousands into adding parts to your suspension - please remember we're driving shoe boxes in the wind...
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
before spending any money on aftermarket stuff, I highly recommend doing the CHF first, then reevaluate the handling. You may discover that this one simple modification that doesn't cost anything may be all you need.

Also note on F53's 2006 and newer, there is a big problem with the rear sway bar bolts coming out and rendering the rear sway bar useless. Install the bolts with blue locktite and torque to 65 ft-lbs.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Also note on F53's 2006 and newer, there is a big problem with the rear sway bar bolts coming out and rendering the rear sway bar useless. Install the bolts with blue locktite and torque to 65 ft-lbs.
Good point but this happens a lot on both front and rear SB bushing bolts. Not just the rear. So I'd do both.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #10

Keep in mind the tire pressure in the charts is one and only thing and is the MINIMUM pressure REQUIRED to support the load. It is not perhaps the OPTIMUM pressure to use. Weight is only one factor when considering what pressure to use.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Keep in mind the tire pressure in the charts is one and only thing and is the MINIMUM pressure REQUIRED to support the load. It is not perhaps the OPTIMUM pressure to use. Weight is only one factor when considering what pressure to use.
Help us out here, what are the other factors when considering what tire pressure to use? Thanks............
Old 11-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
Help us out here, what are the other factors when considering what tire pressure to use? Thanks............

Actual weight per corner...or at minimum per axel
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #13

Henderson's Line-Up

417 Henderson Ln, Grants Pass, OR 97527
(541) 479-2882

I think this is what the OP was referring to.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
Where are they?
Located in Grants Pass, Oregon. We were there this summer, and Eric (tech shown in video) did the RPA, 4 corner weight, inspection and alignment on our F53 chassis. We went ahead with their full recommendation: replace front sway bar with 1 3/4" sway bar, added wo forward facing rear sway bars, for total of 3 on rear end, rear trac bar, quad Koni shocks all around and steering stabilizer. It was not cheap, but the Motorhome is now a pleasure to drive - no sway, no wandering, no jolts, big rigs passing not an issue, and I am to looking like I a driving a clown car trying to keep the steering wheel centered. Highly recommend Henderson's Line Up. Plus, you can overnight on tier lot tile work is being done as a plus. Good people, good service/
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote