Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 01:34 AM   #43

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We haven't had a spare tire in our RV's since 1997 and haven't needed one in all that time. I keep good tires on the rig and check the pressures.
I couldn't carry spares if I wanted to. We have two different sizes and each takes a different width wheel and offset. Front and tag tires are 365/70's and take a 10" wide wheel, the drive axle takes 315/80's on 9.5" wheels. And they are both HUGE so no way to get them in a bay.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2015, 06:37 AM   #44

After having a left front blowout back in April on the Florida turnpike I decided then that I would sacrifice the space and carry a mounted spare. It gets a little expensive when you have to buy an tire and an aluminum wheel at the mercy of the service folks. Tire and wheel cost me over $1000.

danny124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:00 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny124 View Post
After having a left front blowout back in April on the Florida turnpike I decided then that I would sacrifice the space and carry a mounted spare. It gets a little expensive when you have to buy an tire and an aluminum wheel at the mercy of the service folks. Tire and wheel cost me over $1000.
Do you know what caused the blowout? Was it road hazard? Do you have a tire pressure monitor?
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #46

I consider a mounted spare to be an essential part of my "class a" mh. There are also more mundane events like a flat tire when parked. This happened to me all alone, miles from cell service, at the bottom of a river canyon. It would have been a 14 mile hike to the nearest land line in 90 degree heat. We stayed three days and only saw a couple cars come down that road. I carry tools and repair parts for the same reasons as the spare tire. I feel it depends more on the personality type, than the logistics in a lot of cases. We are all different and would never criticize those who would prefer not to take the risks or inconvenience of changing a tire, even if they are quite capable of the task. Another case for a spare is some of us are still working and would rather protect our time, than storage space.
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #47

There is no way a spare tire, mounted or not, would fit in any of my storage bays.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:05 PM   #48

I bought a consignment RV and it came with a mounted spare so I lucked out and hope I never need it!

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-08-2015, 05:14 PM   #49
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I use to carry an unmounted spare in my previous coach. I use to advocate carrying one and told people to call around and see how long it would take to get a new matching tire in the town where they live. Often, people find out that it can take several days. That might be fine if you're retired and in a safe spot, but not good for people still working or in a crappy area.

Apparently, Michellin only makes certain tires at certain times of the year and often run out of various sizes, so you could be left stranded if you want a matching tire.

With all that said, I don't carry a spare on my new coach since it has a tag. In a worse case scenario, I would put whatever I would get on the tag and put the correct tire where I need it. On long trips, like coast to coast, I'll carry an unmounted spare in the bed of my toad.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #50
epj

I just put six new Toyos on our coach. 19.5. The mounted spare was a 13 yo Goodyear. I exchanged it for a 7 yo Mich that had no apparent cracking and excellent tread. I'm sure the 19.5 is easier to deal with than a 22.5, but I think I could get a 22.5 in the same spot in the basement. 2002 HR Endeavor 36'.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:19 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
There is no way a spare tire, mounted or not, would fit in any of my storage bays.
Read this post about a hitch mounted spare tire carrier. I have a spare under a bed but would like that extra room so I may spring for one of these over-expensive gizmos. Yes, expensive, but isn't just about everything with rv'ing?

Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier
Old 09-13-2015, 07:05 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Cost of a Blow Out

Funny you should ask...

Saturday of Labor day weekend 2015 my wife and I were headed south from Northern VA on RT29 just south of Charlottesville VA. My 03 dutchstar with 2008 tires with NO visible cracking, un-even wear and pressurized to 110 psi cold and monitored with a new TirePressure pro TPMS experienced a blowout on the right front BF Goodrich tire. I had just checked temperatures and pressures (119psi hot) less than 30 minutes prior to the bang. I was traveling about 45-50mph up a slight grade and easily able to move the coach to the wide although steep shoulder.There was some minor damage to the fender liner as the tire partially dismounted it's self. I did not have a spare. I called Coach Net, they found a service truck that could bring new tires (advising that I would need to replace both front tires), an hour later they called back to advise the first service provider was not available so the searched for another. I then started calling around and found what I thought was a local provider in Charlottesville, This ordeal started at 1:30 pm. A state Trooper shows up and advised that I was a hazard and request that I be towed. I called Coach Net again and request a tow and I provided a local tow company that could handle my 40’ long 30k pound rig. They agreed and within an hour I had a Large tow truck…it’s about 6:00pm now. The tow truck operator looks at my rig and ask that I lift it using the jacks..I agreed since there was NO way to jack the coach from the front since it was almost flush with the ground. He took a good look at it and shared that he had towed many class A coaches and due to the tilt and ground clearance advised me it would likely he might damage some fiberglass…BUT, if I had a good tire on the front I could drive it off the shoulder (I had already thought of that…but I had no spare) He asked if it be ok for him to call the shop and have the service truck bring me a used “spare” from a wrecked trailer. I though it to be a heck of an idea. The service truck shows up about 20 minutes later with a dirty but serviceable aluminum wheel and drive tire (one with tread) He put that one on my coach and had me follow the service truck to a parking lot about 4 miles up the road. I called the tire service guy and advised him of my new location. When we arrived at the parking lot I asked the tow truck driver if he would sell me the tire he bought me… $150.00 and it was mine! He left and about 20 minutes later my two new Bridgestones showed up in another service truck. I asked this guy to install the two new tires on my shiny aluminum wheels and to move my left front BF Goodrich to my newly acquired “spare”.. About 8:30 pm all the tires were swapped and my new spare stowed inside of my toad. After fueling up nearby we were on the road at 9:30pm and at our destination by 11:30. The cost for the road service was $1800.00 ($585 per tire and rest labor and travel) , I will submit some of this to CoachNet. Let me assure you, I was not in the boondocks… it was a holiday weekend and not a good time to need service. This was an expensive endeavor. I have a credit card and insurance… but if I had that spare I would have been on the road much faster and saved myself almost $2000.00. I have room for the spare in the basement, that is where it is now. And the BF Goodrich tire that blew had absolutely no signs of dry rot or damage inside or out, and the pressure was spot on perfect. It just blew. The tire service guy shared that he sees it all the time, he also said the Bridgestone has a thicker sidewall. My new tires on the front are bigger, 290/75 R22.5 and they ride quieter and drive better than the prior tires. No balancing involved either. So, learn from my experience, carry a spare if possible…. Unless you have time and money to throw away..
Doug

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...3&l=3eae40d69f

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206654753761912&l=705fec50fa

Old 09-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I have been motorhoming since 1974. I have had five blowouts in that time. I would not leave home without a spare. many people say they have a cell phone and would just make a call. I have been out west three times. I have traveled for hours with no cell signal. To me it is worth the peace of mind.
Is your spare just the tire or is it mounted? Do the roadside assistance services have the capability to mount the plain tire on-site or do they have to take it somewhere?
Old 09-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
I carry a spare partly because I was able to get a new matching (8 year old) spare for $50 and I have room on my car hauler for it. But the main reason is that now that I have a spare, I won't get a flat...that's just how my luck goes....

I'm due for tires soon and I most likely will spring for the new spare also...just so I don't get that flat...
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #55

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Apparently, Michellin only makes certain tires at certain times of the year and often run out of various sizes, so you could be left stranded if you want a matching tire.
I don't think that's just a Michelin production thing.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #56

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
I carry a spare partly because I was able to get a new matching (8 year old) spare for $50 and I have room on my car hauler for it. But the main reason is that now that I have a spare, I won't get a flat...that's just how my luck goes....

I'm due for tires soon and I most likely will spring for the new spare also...just so I don't get that flat...
8 year old tire? That's when I start looking to replace them even if unused. Tires age out on RV's before they wear out in most cases!

Tags
class a