Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Its one thing to ask folks on this forum if they weigh their rigs, I believe its a whole different story to ask the average rv owner. Folks on here are more likely to be more involved in their coaches and the hobby in general. The folks on here probably make up less than 1/10th of 1 percent of the RVing public. I bet we would all be scared out of our minds if we knew how many unsafe, overloaded, underinflated rigs were out there.
Yep. I weighed mine as soon as I drove it off the lot, full gas, full LP, full fresh water. Gave me an idea where I started. Weighed everything as I loaded it. Still need to do a 4 corner weight though.
And yeah, most owners have no idea about weight and tire pressure. Next time you are sitting in a campground and start talking to folks. It scares the heck out of me there are people driving these monsters and how oblivious they are. Or how much better their ride could be with proper weight distribution and tire pressure.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 06:55 PM   #44

Where does one get a portable scale?

Old 04-16-2016, 08:01 PM   #45
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfxrs View Post
Here's one place that sells them.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:11 PM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Geez, just go to a CAT scale. It's $10 bucks for the first weighing (I do the left half), and then $2 bucks for a re-weighing (right half).
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
The CAT scales in our area are slightly elevated so not possible to weigh side to side.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:14 PM   #48

I don't think that any of the truck scales will be able to do a 4 corner weigh. but a total and by axle is a starting point.

If you go to a big rally there is normally someone there to do a 4 corner weigh and Iknow that 3 of the Escapee Parks have 4 corner weigh available most of the time(call first). You don't need to be an Escapee.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:15 PM   #49

As I have stated before, call your State Highway Patrol. Mine came right to my home and we did two six position weighs. Did it out on the road where he put on his flashers so we wouldn't be disturbed. No charge for the service.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:30 AM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I don't think that any of the truck scales will be able to do a 4 corner weigh. but a total and by axle is a starting point.
I've done it a number of times.

The CAT scales I've been to all have three weighing slabs, which for a semi will weigh the front axle of the tractor, the pair of rear duals on a tractor, and the trailer duals. It also has a riser box next to where the drivers cab window would be, which effectively forces you to be centered on the weighing slabs when you reach that point on the first weighing slab.

Do not use the first weighing slab, just use the rear two. I drive up with one set of my tires centered (side to side) on the slab and the other tires off to the side. I pull forward until my wheels are fairly centered (front to back) in the the last two weighing slabs. Get out and walk forward and reach up and ring the call box to tell them to weigh. Then pull thru, drive around, and do the same thing on the other side and ask for a reweigh. $12 bucks total. Add your weight to the DS front when doing tire pressure calcs, or have spouse sit in drivers seat during the weighing if you want.

The first location I ever got weighed there was only side space on one side, so just did the reweighing going the opposite direction.

The hardest part of this is reaching up to hit the call box button.

If you have a tag, it would take more passes. I've also done a normal centered axle weigh as a cross check.

Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome