Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-26-2015, 07:38 PM   #43
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 9,312
"JXFG"......I completely agree with what you said. My point is that engines have changed over the years. In late 90's, there were a lot of 275 HP coaches around. Then in the early 2000's, they bumped up to a lot of Cat's and Cummins 350's. Around 2005, the ISL became popular. It's now the most popular RV motor with some variations from 370 HP to 450 HP.

Most of your coaches made in the last few years are at least 350 HP to 450 HP in the 27K - 35K weight range. So my comment is that the NEW expectation would probably be something more powerful than 1HP to 100Lbs. Something like 1.1 - 1.3 HP per 100Lbs.
__________________

__________________
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
OT...
2 garden tractors...

One is 18 hp gas
Other is 16 hp diesel

Diesel one lots stronger than gas one.

Reason...

Diesel horses are larger than gas horses...

One is 1/4 horse and other is Clydesdale. ..
lol... well, there you have folks... the question is finally answered
__________________

__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"JXFG"......I completely agree with what you said. My point is that engines have changed over the years. In late 90's, there were a lot of 275 HP coaches around. Then in the early 2000's, they bumped up to a lot of Cat's and Cummins 350's. Around 2005, the ISL became popular. It's now the most popular RV motor with some variations from 370 HP to 450 HP.

Most of your coaches made in the last few years are at least 350 HP to 450 HP in the 27K - 35K weight range. So my comment is that the NEW expectation would probably be something more powerful than 1HP to 100Lbs. Something like 1.1 - 1.3 HP per 100Lbs.
I remember when the 300's came out... that was a lot of power

seems my 99 discovery was only 275
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:29 PM   #46
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR do tell whats the m-11


Cummins M-11 was an option back in the day. The M-11 is now upgraded with electronics and known as an ISM.
__________________
SoCal Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:33 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
gemini5362's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,078
all this talk comparing horsepower and weight from what i read in a dictionary.

torque 1 (trk) n. 1. The measure of a force's tendency to produce torsion or rotation about an axis, equal to the product of the force vector and the radius vector .

Horsepower
2
: a unit of power equal in the United States to 746 watts and nearly equivalent to the English gravitational unit of the same name that equals 550 foot-pounds of work per second

HP does not turn wheels torgue does. Now i am not sure i have my numbers right but they are close. My silverado with a duramax engine has 360 hp and 650 foot pounds of torgue

My ISL cummins engine has 400 hp and approx 1250 foot pounds of torgue. when you compare a gas engine to an engine used in a diesel pusher you are comparing apples to walnuts. There is such a huge difference. The RV engine has twice the torgue but almost the same HP. I know that has to do with the stroke but it shows why trying to compare the two will not work.

My owners manual tells me to manually downshift my DP when going up hills to keep the RPMS higher. It really is a point of contention for me. MY DP and several others in that model year. Can pull a mountain with no problem in 6th gear as far as enough torgue to get up the mountain however because of heating problems. We have to downshift in order to keep the temp down. So when you see a dP with the pedal to the metal to get up a mountain it is because they might be in 4th gear to keep the RPMs up.
__________________
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 14,464
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
I remember when the 300's came out... that was a lot of power

seems my 99 discovery was only 275

And the uphill time difference was negligible.
You have been fed a lot of info. So what will you do? Swap the motor? Chip what ya got? Or suffer the dregs of not being able to grunt up the hill like Man O War?
Inquiring minds want to know!
__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 14,464
Blog Entries: 1

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1425008370.291389.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  41.4 KB
__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:57 AM   #50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
all this talk comparing horsepower and weight from what i read in a dictionary.

torque 1 (trk) n. 1. The measure of a force's tendency to produce torsion or rotation about an axis, equal to the product of the force vector and the radius vector .

Horsepower
2
: a unit of power equal in the United States to 746 watts and nearly equivalent to the English gravitational unit of the same name that equals 550 foot-pounds of work per second

HP does not turn wheels torgue does. Now i am not sure i have my numbers right but they are close. My silverado with a duramax engine has 360 hp and 650 foot pounds of torgue

My ISL cummins engine has 400 hp and approx 1250 foot pounds of torgue. when you compare a gas engine to an engine used in a diesel pusher you are comparing apples to walnuts. There is such a huge difference. The RV engine has twice the torgue but almost the same HP. I know that has to do with the stroke but it shows why trying to compare the two will not work.

My owners manual tells me to manually downshift my DP when going up hills to keep the RPMS higher. It really is a point of contention for me. MY DP and several others in that model year. Can pull a mountain with no problem in 6th gear as far as enough torgue to get up the mountain however because of heating problems. We have to downshift in order to keep the temp down. So when you see a dP with the pedal to the metal to get up a mountain it is because they might be in 4th gear to keep the RPMs up.
the thread was not about gas vs diesel, or comparing either... it was about who has the most hp and torque vs lbs of coach weight..... we haven't even heard from the natural gas power...

there has to be a hot rod coach out their that's 23-34 ft and lots of power....

wondering who makes it and what it is

but if one was to limit natural aspirated.. thread wouldn't have been near as long..
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:14 AM   #51
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
And the uphill time difference was negligible.
You have been fed a lot of info. So what will you do? Swap the motor? Chip what ya got? Or suffer the dregs of not being able to grunt up the hill like Man O War?
Inquiring minds want to know!
ive had 5 different motorhomes in 4 months...in my opinion.. our new excursion is low on power... but you have to remember I just came from the 26' with a v10...

my wife thinks the power is more than fine,..in fact she pointed out that in 500 miles.... we only down shifted to 5th about 5 min of the hole trip

and only dropped below the cruising speed of 62 for even less... so if for some reason you had to be there in less time you could just bump the cruise speed up 1 or two mph and get there that much quicker...


so as a per day want of 500 miles in 8 hrs... you would have to go 62.5 mph...if you bumped up to 65 mph . you would get there in 7.7 hrs
saving .3 of an hour

my answer to her was

so at this point.. if there was something out there that I missed.. it sure wasn't because I didn't look around..

as far as taking her brand new that she loves motorhome away...and replacing it with a 1995 450hp model.....aint gonna happen...
that and we've been together 30 yrs...
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:16 AM   #52
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Kevin View Post
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR do tell whats the m-11

Cummins M-11 was an option back in the day. The M-11 is now upgraded with electronics and known as an ISM.
thank you
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:47 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
no it won't...both taking off from a dead start, the gas coach will be so far ahead you won't be able to catch it with a cb radio

Simple physics and the real world say otherwise
__________________
MotorPro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 325
Can I play?
My truck is a motorhome -eating/cooking/cleaning/washing facilities ,heat and cooling.
Plated and insured motorhome.
-465 hp
-1650 tarks
-16000 #
12 speed and 3.73 rear gears.
__________________
2005 volvo 670 12 speed auto shift
singled, hensley trailer saver smart car "on deck"
Newmar 34 rsks Torrey Pine
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 14,464
Blog Entries: 1
5 in 4 months. May be a Guinness record. Still no keeper? How's depreciation treating you?
I'll race anyone to the picnic table. If for bacon, I will cheat to win.
__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #56
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPro View Post
Simple physics and the real world say otherwise
torque gets you up the hill hp gets you there quicker..

but all things equal.... both have the same weight per hp and torque
they would be the same...

were the constant argument is one having more torque vs one having more hp and the one having more hp having way less weight


no pay load is different


I hooked the same trailer to these motorhomes of mine

2012 30' winnabago vista v10 w/ banks and gearvendor overdrive 10 sp trans.
2013 allegro 30' v10 with banks

2013 26' winnabago vista v10 w/ banks and w/and wo 22.5 tires

2015 forest river FR3 30' v10

2o15 winnabago tribute v10 w/ and with out banks

2005 winnabago journey DP cat 350hp/850 torque

2014 Fleetwood excursion cummins 300/660torque

they all pulled the same 8k trailer loaded the same...

the fastest up the hill was the 30' v10 with 10 speed trans...

the slowest was the Fleetwood excursion followed by the journey

the two diesels being slowest by 15 mph...

now I personaly tested everone of these and got my own result ..

didn't read it...

so the thing is, I would like to get back to where I started speed wise... but, looks like it will never happen.... people keep drinking the Kool-Aid and making statement like .. get a diesel if you wanna go up the hill faster..

then on another thread say'n I don't care if I'm the slowest up the hill
ii aint in no hurry!!

pretty sure if I had the doe to spend I could go to one the more custom builders and say

here the chassis I want build me a 32' home on it...and yes I'd pick a diesel for the power... just put enough to make it work...

the excursion does fine,, not so loaded to 30,000... needs more power..

through the years ive sold off and moved away from my fast stuff

no more achol dragster, no more twin turbo schiada's no more turbo sand rails, no built banchees, no more 165 mph custom Harley....
down to a turbo'd motorhome (excursion) and a couple riding mowers (Polaris xp 1000"s)
__________________

__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.