Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
do tell whats the m-11
It's one of these:

Flux Capacitor - $15,849.95 : KaleCoAuto.com, Your home for the rare, unusual, and hard to find auto parts.

In combo with one of these:

Adjustable Powerband - $95.99 : KaleCoAuto.com, Your home for the rare, unusual, and hard to find auto parts.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #16

Who has the most hp.. And torque

Quote:
Who has the most power... I've been checking and it seems that those that have big power, have big weight to go with it...

That is the basis. They power them for the weight.
I'm happy with what I have, but I don't race anymore.
You can chip em, "Bank" em or whatever, but I'll still meet you at the next light in town, or a few minutes later at the CG.
Perhaps the rigs need a testosterone boost to the fuel rail?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
That is the basis. They power them for the weight.
I'm happy with what I have, but I don't race anymore.
You can chip em, "Bank" em or whatever, but I'll still meet you at the next light in town, or a few minutes later at the CG.
Perhaps the rigs need a testosterone boost to the fuel rail?
for me I'm sure it will change,.. but the shock for going from a gas coach to a pusher with no power gonna take some time... going up the same hill 15 mph slower is tough to take..

that and that big ol fuel pedal that does nothing when you press it but make a MOO sound

some of these fellas have real stump pull'n power....jealous... yep
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #18

I'll stay with my engine, I like the mileage better than the zoom. Getting there fast is not in my plans. 350HP, 31,000GVW.
The new 45' Foretravel has 650 HP, 50,000 GVW.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:23 AM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Years ago there was a quick formula for looking at a coach and determining if it had enough power. It was 1 HP per 100 pounds. So a 30K coach should have a 300 HP engine to be adequate. I think those numbers are probably a little underpowered in this day and age.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:58 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to whid1
I'll stay with my girl she has a 300Hp Turbo V8 3208 T/A engine with the Allison 4 speed w/retarder, the rig is 37' weighing at a full load @ 42,432 lbs and she can climb hills with no problems with trailer a in tow. Like the one gentleman said we'll get there in due time and meet you at the park. Did I forget to tell you she carries 150 gal of fuel, 100 gal fresh water, 50 gal waste and 214 lbs of butane. at 55 to 65 she gets 10 mi/gal
Old 02-26-2015, 12:44 PM   #21

33,000# GVW
360 hp
1050 tq.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:14 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Who has the most hp.. And torque

Quote:
Who has the most power... I've been checking and it seems that those that have big power, have big weight......:

Oh God, another iteration of the testosterone wars!! My xxx is bigger than your xxx!

Dutch Star Don is right-- for years the basic design adequacy rule of thumb has been 100lbs per HP. Slightly below and you enjoy some performance advantage; slightly above and you lag climbing long grades. But I disagree with him that this number is outdated. The laws of physics don't change, only the marketing campaign does. When people have money to spend you can sell almost anything.

You cannot make an absolute statement because it is truly the combination of HP and torque that determines the most advantageous performance in a MH or any other large, heavy vehicle. That is why a DP will usually outperform a similarly loaded gasser in terms of hill climbing and load bearing-- because the diesel will give you far greater torque. But all forces must be more or less in balance, lest you wind up with a vehicle that will do one thing very well, and the rest with mediocrity. Like the high school gearhead's fantasy- the VW with a 454-- unbalanced designs are soon left behind.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Oh God, another iteration of the testosterone wars!! My xxx is bigger than your xxx!

Dutch Star Don is right-- for years the basic design adequacy rule of thumb has been 100lbs per HP. Slightly below and you enjoy some performance advantage; slightly above and you lag climbing long grades. But I disagree with him that this number is outdated. The laws of physics don't change, only the marketing campaign does. When people have money to spend you can sell almost anything.

You cannot make an absolute statement because it is truly the combination of HP and torque that determines the most advantageous performance in a MH or any other large, heavy vehicle. That is why a DP will usually outperform a similarly loaded gasser in terms of hill climbing and load bearing-- because the diesel will give you far greater torque. But all forces must be more or less in balance, lest you wind up with a vehicle that will do one thing very well, and the rest with mediocrity. Like the high school gearhead's fantasy- the VW with a 454-- unbalanced designs are soon left behind.
thanks for the post...

what you are say'n doesn't make sense .."That is why a DP will usually outperform a similarly loaded gasser in terms of hill climbing and load bearing-- because the diesel will give you far greater torque.

gas torque is less than diesel torque...
Old 02-26-2015, 02:13 PM   #24

heres how you see what pulls the most.... hook up to the same trailer

Old 02-26-2015, 02:25 PM   #25

A DP and gas MH with identical weight and identical HP will climb a hill at exactly the same speed as long as the weight/HP/speed is the same. That is simple physics.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
A DP and gas MH with identical weight and identical HP will climb a hill at exactly the same speed as long as the weight/HP/speed is the same. That is simple physics.
thank you!!!

let go alittle farther,,,

which makes more power a 6.8 gas

or a 6.7 diesel

forget what it's hooked to, on the dyno
Old 02-26-2015, 02:53 PM   #27

Good video and Article!

Here's an interesting website on Diesel vs. gas. Funny enough the diesel is a 2015 Excursion 33D (pretty much identical to yours). I was very disappointed after reading the article and watching the video-I was expecting a drag race up a 20-mile long, 6% grade!!

RV Smackdown - Diesel vs Gas
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:03 PM   #28

The ford 6.7 diesel is a twin turbo and only has 400hp in 2014 and before. The cummins has 385.
The ford 6.8 gas has 362. That is comparing turbocharged engine to a non turbo engine. If you five star tune the gas add about 50hp total.
miked11272 is offline   Reply With Quote