Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked11272 View Post
The ford 6.7 diesel is a twin turbo and only has 400hp in 2014 and before. The cummins has 385.
The ford 6.8 gas has 362. That is comparing turbocharged engine to a non turbo engine. If you five star tune the gas add about 50hp total.
you beat me to it...

take the turbo off the diesel and compare...

I remember , the non turbo 6.5 in the hummer.... holy smokes... thought I'd never get over baker grade out of vegas...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #30

Now you've got me thinking about getting my 1932 Chevy running again. It weighs 2,7xx lbs. with a 28 HP engine. So you see, the HP to weight ratio Don mentioned has been around a looong time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
A DP and gas MH with identical weight and identical HP will climb a hill at exactly the same speed as long as the weight/HP/speed is the same. That is simple physics.

True as long as you hit the hill at speed but if you have to excelerate up the hill the DP will be long gone.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPro View Post
True as long as you hit the hill at speed but if you have to excelerate up the hill the DP will be long gone.
no it won't...both taking off from a dead start, the gas coach will be so far ahead you won't be able to catch it with a cb radio
Old 02-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
I think most that own gasser's do not run them right to the floor wide open pulling a long hill, I pass most all of them with my little engine..........
Most all DP's are run full throttle, where they are the happiest......... gasser owners do not .....screaming at 5-6k........to do the same job.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I think most that own gasser's do not run them right to the floor wide open pulling a long hill, I pass most all of them with my little engine..........
Most all DP's are run full throttle, where they are the happiest......... gasser owners do not .....screaming at 5-6k........to do the same job.
I have videos proving the opposite .. both diesel were 13&15 mph slower than the v10... v 10 was at 4000 rpm

now.. not claiming to know anything... but everyone keeps say'n a grasshopper can pull a plow.... I say lets see...

also I let all three do their thing floored in high gear , hit the same hill pulling the same trailer @ 70 mph...

ive since read that you should down shift and keep the rpms at red line on the pusher...
personaly I think that would hurt the trans shifting that hard on a hill full weight...
Old 02-26-2015, 04:43 PM   #35

Quote:

I have added the five star tune and hardly ever tach over 3000 rpms. I can increase speed going up grades no problem. Pass what ever I need to and still get 9 miles per gallon.
miked11272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:45 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
I have videos proving the opposite .. both diesel were 13&15 mph slower than the v10... v 10 was at 4000 rpm

now.. not claiming to know anything... but everyone keeps say'n a grasshopper can pull a plow.... I say lets see...

also I let all three do their thing floored in high gear , hit the same hill pulling the same trailer @ 70 mph...

ive since read that you should down shift and keep the rpms at red line on the pusher...
personaly I think that would hurt the trans shifting that hard on a hill full weight...
If you were to look "Allison Transmission" up in the dictionary............you would find two words that explains the name.......
"Bullet Proof"...... properly serviced, I don't even think about the Allison back there ..........even when towing my 10k trailer
Like I have posted before.........there is only one thing that separates the two(Gas/Diesel)..........one clue..........Its Green
Old 02-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #37

Quote:
If you were to look "Allison Transmission" up in the dictionary............you would find two words that explains the name.......
"Bullet Proof"...... properly serviced, I don't even think about the Allison back there ..........even when towing my 10k trailer
Like I have posted before.........there is only one thing that separates the two(Gas/Diesel)..........one clue..........Its Green
lol... you read that on a truck stop wall.....lol
Old 02-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #38

It depends on if it has MAX INPUT TORQUE w/SEM OR TORQUE LIMITING1,2. SEM = engine controls with Shift Energy Management
4 SEM and torque limiting are required to obtain this rating

So the Allison MH2100 can support 340 HP and 700 LB-FT assuming it has SEM. The good news is the engine and transmission ECUs work together to do SEM. Most Engine ECUs can do this. Here is how it works:
HOW SEM WORKS

During shift operation, SEM begins when the transmission control module (TCM) electronically requests the engine’s electronic control unit (ECU) to momentarily reduce engine torque. The engine’s ECU acknowledges the command and cuts torque as requested.

As the shift is completed, the TCM requests the ECU to ramp engine torque back to the desired level. This process is completed quickly and seamlessly.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #39

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
300hp-660 torque
Sounds like a CAT?

My Cummins has 350hp - 1,050 ft lb torque
GVWR 32,000lb
91.42 lb/HP
30.48 lb/1ft lb torque
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Sounds like a CAT?

My Cummins has 350hp - 1,050 ft lb torque
GVWR 32,000lb
91.42 lb/HP
30.48 lb/1ft lb torque
6.7ISB Cummins
Old 02-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #41

OT...
2 garden tractors...

One is 18 hp gas
Other is 16 hp diesel

Diesel one lots stronger than gas one.

Reason...

Diesel horses are larger than gas horses...

One is 1/4 horse and other is Clydesdale. ..
Old 02-26-2015, 06:29 PM   #42

I have had 2 gas, 2 diesel.
Both Ds would easily pass either G.
It wasn't the horsepower, it was the TORQUE!
I did not take any testosterone enhancements in the process of these tests.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote