Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #1

Who makes custom fit interior windshield shades?

I have purchased the roll of aluminized bubble insulation from Home Depot but my attempts on the front windshield were amateur at best.

I have the ShadePro on the outside but I need the insulated ones on the inside as temps get over 100F so does anyone know who makes custom fit ones out of this (or very similar) material?

I don't need (or want) to be able to see through it.

It's a 1995 Newmar Kountry Star by the way

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They are many manufactures advertised in Good Sam, FMCA, Motor Home Life and other RV magazines. OR you can Google or Bing "RV Interior Shades"

Old 06-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have been happy with RV SUNSHADES. they advertise in FMCA. you can google them, prices are very fair and fast!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #4

I checked out RV Sunshades but they don't appear to do the insulated shades - only the fabric see thru ones but I have emailed them anyway.

As for Googling "RV Interior Shades" if you try it yourself you will see that no results come back with any companies that produce insulated shades - they all assume that you just want to block UV and in my situation they really need to be insulated.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Attic radiant foil...

Since you don't care if you can see out and are interested in blocking the hot sun, you might want to contact a company in your area that installs attic radiant barrier. It comes in 4 foot wide rolls and they might sell you an 8 foot length of it. It will not tear, but can be cut with scissors. It has shiny reflective foil on both sides.
This could save you some real money if that is a concern.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #6

If you read the 1st line of my OP you will see I tried that!

The 48" isn't long enough for the weird shape of the Newmar windshield and it really needs a professional company to cut to the correct pattern. I'm very surprised it's so hard to find - I know a lot of people use the stuff in the desert summers.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
On my previous coach I had one that I bought from camping world. I used two of them. It had reflective stuff on the outside with a dark inside. There was something sandwiched between. It really worked well for us. We used the visors to hold in place.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
You might look at MCD shades. We have these on our current coach. Made custom fit. I use Magneshade outside windshield and drop the MCD shades inside when its really hot. Works really well!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Steve, I was talking about a different product than the foil bubble insulation. I thought maybe it might help suit your need and that you could custom fit it to your coach. Sorry about that.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #10

IIWMI'd buy the material then take it to one of the sun shade outfits at an FMCA rally or other gathering (we have an outfit that comes to Quartzsite just to service our gathering of ~100 coaches each January). Most of these are mom & pop outfits that have a van or trailer w/their sewing gear & inventory, and they could take the interior measurements then sew up your custom request.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
This 48" X 10' should cover your front windshield with very little cutting needed by you.

I covered mine & windows last summer with the same width from Lowe's that came in a 48" x 25' length.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #12
doc

Appalachian Campers
As an aside, we have a reflective foil barrier that I have used inside the windshield and one day for some now forgotten reason, I had occasion to move it. That airspace between the windshield and the reflector was hot enough to bake bread. It occurred to me I was trapping hot air inside the coach because the sunshine was coming through the glass and if I could reflect it before it entered then I might save some cooling and keep heat from entering. I sort of jury rigged this reflector on the outside of the windshield and immediately the reflected heat and light became very apparent. It looked sort of ragged, but the benefit was easily seen in the August heat wave we were having. I would certainly like to have one that would cover the entire outside surface rather than the limited area afforded by the reflector. How would one go about joining two pieces of this stuff in or to do full coverage? I believe I bought the original piece from a Camping World someplace. I was unable to get the tabs of Velcro to stick to it.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
You can get a roll of foil tape from Homey or Lowes. I use that on engine doghouse insulation.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A custom upholstery shop made me a insulated - room darkening front shades to my specifications. Please contact them at the Design's Collection 760-342-7887. Just measure your current curtains and call them. Width, length, no. of curtains (2?), pleat width, color, pattern, etc. and any special needs.