Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #15
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
The line from front to back needs to be flushed.

I did mine with help from a friend.

I blew with a compressor and some commercial flush.

He caught the BB's in a bucket.

Both ends are disconnected and caped right now, I will pass this on to Regional International.

Thanks

PS
On the drier there is a label that says filter/drier/Receiver

This is not my part but what it looks like

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2016, 11:04 PM   #16

Friend of mine says anytime you open a sealed a/c system like automotive, and especially if you are replacing major part; ALWAYS replace receiver/dryer unit as well. I trust him on that because he's been a master a/c tech and appliance repair tech for 40+yrs. P.S.: He also recommends that after re-assembly of system, pull and hold vacuum for at least an hour before charging with refridgerant.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:56 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Your friend is correct in regards to the drier.

Not sure about pulling a vacuum for one hour what that accomplishes other than maybe to see if there are any leaks where it won't hold a vacuum level. Or possibly holding a vacuum for that long will remove all of the crap before charging it with new gas.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-04-2016, 06:25 AM   #18

You pull the vacuum, for 45 minutes to an hour, to assure all moisture is evacuated from the oil in the system.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

Not sure about pulling a vacuum for one hour what that accomplishes other than maybe to see if there are any leaks where it won't hold a vacuum level. Or possibly holding a vacuum for that long will remove all of the crap before charging it with new gas.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
The main reason to pull a vacuum on a AC system is to remove latent moisture from the system. It can be used to identify leaks in the system but it is not a reliable method (delta P is to low). The time required to properly evacuate an AC is dependent on two main variables, system capacity and vacuum capacity of the pump. Given the long line lengths in this particular system, IMHO, an hour would be on the low side of the spectrum.
Happy Camping
Old 09-04-2016, 07:46 AM   #20
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmaddog View Post
Friend of mine says anytime you open a sealed a/c system like automotive, and especially if you are replacing major part; ALWAYS replace receiver/dryer unit as well. I trust him on that because he's been a master a/c tech and appliance repair tech for 40+yrs. P.S.: He also recommends that after re-assembly of system, pull and hold vacuum for at least an hour before charging with refridgerant.
Your friend is correct in both areas.

A vacuum is pulled and held for a couple of reasons

1) To remove moisture, what happens is when you pull the vacuum you reduce the pressure and when you reduce the pressure any water in the system turns to steam.

2) By maintaining the vacuum, turning the pump off, you will know if there are any leaks.

Actual finding the compressor, once the old one was removed and a tag on it was found, finding the compressor emplacement was easy. turns out is just what I thought, a standard GM A6 Compressor

The hard part has been finding the dryer but I think this is correct, I will have to call on Tuesday.

Note the different size inlet and outlet, and they are metric. My unit does not have the low pressure switch in it and I think what you see on the top of the unit is a sight glass, not a port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Holding the vacuum does allow you to you to know if there are any leaks, but it also allows all the moisture to be boiled out of the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You pull the vacuum, for 45 minutes to an hour, to assure all moisture is evacuated from the oil in the system.
Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cminnie View Post
The main reason to pull a vacuum on a AC system is to remove latent moisture from the system. It can be used to identify leaks in the system but it is not a reliable method (delta P is to low). The time required to properly evacuate an AC is dependent on two main variables, system capacity and vacuum capacity of the pump. Given the long line lengths in this particular system, IMHO, an hour would be on the low side of the spectrum.
Happy Camping
What is delta P?

Old 09-04-2016, 04:29 PM   #21

Glenlever, when evalcuating an AC system the rule of thumb ia 28-29 inches of water column vacuum is required. That is approximately -1psi below ambient and is the delta pressure (ambient minus internal system pressure). One psi is adequate to find large leaks but not those nagging small slow leaks. With a normal charge of 134a system pressure will be approximately 90-100 psi, with the compressor no running. That is why many repair shops will use dry nitrogen to pressure check the system at approximately 50 psi before evalcuating and charging.
Happy Camping
Old 09-04-2016, 07:17 PM   #22

....is Delta P like pressure differential?
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:49 PM   #23

Yes, delta p and differential pressure are one in the same.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:08 AM   #24

Just a thought: Is your coach chassis 12v or 24v? If it's 24v you'll want to move the clutch over from the old compressor, or at least the clutch actuator magnet.
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:52 AM   #25
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
Just a thought: Is your coach chassis 12v or 24v? If it's 24v you'll want to move the clutch over from the old compressor, or at least the clutch actuator magnet.
It is 12 volts, with lots of batteries.

4 six volt batteries (two in series and then those two sets in parallel) for the house and two 12 volt batteries in parallel for the starter

Old 09-06-2016, 06:10 AM   #26

When I was a HVAC contractor I always used a Micron Gage when pulling a vaccum,
FAQ Micron Gauges - JB Industries, Inc.

I also used a sling psychrometer. I ask techs if they have one and you would be amazed how many have never heard of it. I then tell them if they have ever charged a A/C system and not used one it is improperly charged.
This was in Houses and commercial buildings not Autosystems.

Tags
compressor