Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #43

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
The OP could have saved a lot of responses by specifying TTs and 5th wheels, or by excluding Motor Homes.

Motor homes generally have inverters, and don't use propane unless it's the last resort ( camp ground on a 30A breaker kind of thing)
Many older motorhomes didn't come with inverters, only converters and the ones that did have inverter/charges, didn't provide inverter power to the back of gas/elect. RV fridges.
On our old gasser, I put my own inverter in, as well as for running an outlet for such behind the Dometic fridge and made up an auto circuit for switching over.
With our present coach and even though still an RV fridge, an inverter outlet was provided alongside the shore/genset only outlet for the ice maker. I just chose to plug into that one for the fridge, also and since the inverter outlets are feed through anyway. Inverter off, it goes to gas automatically with a loss of power and with the inverter on, the fridge can be manually set to gas for extended use, so as to not run down the batteries.
The inverter is always in use, going down the road, if the genset isn't running for the ac's, so why use the propane?
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #44

Yes == travel with RV on Propane
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #45

Yes == travel with refrigerator on Propane
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:19 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why have it if you run with it on? I want my drink cold while traveling. When I stop to refuel I might turn it off. I most definitely don't run the heater or the water heater while traveling. Because I have engine heat and motoraid for the water heater. If I could not run the fridge then I might as well go back to using coolers and using a tent.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:23 AM   #47

Propane on also run heater if cold going down the road never had a problem
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:10 AM   #48

Run on propane. No problems

Hopefully, the cell phone thing had been debunked for all. Ever think about the electronics and power built in to the pump itself?

Three Rules for Safe Refueling

1. Turn off engine.
2. Don't smoke.
3. Never re-enter your vehicle while refueling.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:36 PM   #49

Well just to add to this forum which seems to still be alive, in the 50 plus years of RV life I have never known anyone personally that shut off the fridge to travel. And as some else noted the heater might be set on a low temp as well in very cold weather travel.

Living in the Midwest we have been in many storms where the wind blew 50 mph or higher and we sure didn't get up and turn the fridge or heater off.
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:40 PM   #50

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
The OP could have saved a lot of responses by specifying TTs and 5th wheels, or by excluding Motor Homes.

Motor homes generally have inverters, and don't use propane unless it's the last resort ( camp ground on a 30A breaker kind of thing)
Actually a better division would be those with propane or RV fridges versus those of us with a residential fridge.

Fifth wheel here, residential, fridge stays on all the time.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:46 PM   #51

Because we're usually running the generator for roof AC, we run with refrigerator on electrical. Heck, I keep the refrigerator on when parked at the house. Full of food and ready to go.
Bookmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #52

Ice cream is a major food group. Refrigerator ON !
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:52 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
Ice cream is a major food group. Refrigerator ON !

Beer has food value. Food has no beer value. Refer on.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:19 PM   #54

National RV Owners Club
If I think of it I’ll turn the fridge off when traveling. We usually do short days and it’s still cold enough when we stop for the night and plug back in. If I do leave it on I can never seem to remember to shut if off when refueling.
TC Wndsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:32 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Turn ours on when we get it out of storage in the spring and turn it off in the late fall when we put it back in storage.
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel