Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #1

Who Would you Say, is at the Top of the MH Game today

Just curious Who makes the super bad ass Motorhomes not just looks but overall form function quality etc.

I am sure the battle for the number one spot switches up every year so lets focus on 2013 Models.

Ted.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The question asked is purely subjective. There are many different floor plans and coach designs. There are many different ways to RV with a motor coach. What fits one coach owner's requirements may not fit another coach owner's requirements.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The question asked is purely subjective. There are many different floor plans and coach designs. There are many different ways to RV with a motor coach. What fits one coach owner's requirements may not fit another coach owner's requirements.
It is kind of Like a head to head comparison they would do in a magazine.

Quality
Warranty issues
Materials and workmanship.
recalls
Fuel mileage
Power
amenities
etc

but I get what your saying
Old 12-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #4

Overall Winnebago has spent about 10 years nation’s top-selling motorhome manufacturer while the Tiffin brand has been the top selling DP motorhome.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Judging based on sales figures takes you to the place where one has to declare McDonald's as having the best hamburger in the world simply because they sell so many more than anyone else. I doubt that many of us would believe that to be the case.

Sales volume is, to a large extent, a function of marketing and advertising programs, availability of multiple points of sale (i.e., a large dealer network - lots of McDonalds on every corner), goods priced in high volume demographic sales point (adequate burgers at appealing prices), etc.

In other words, there are many reasons for McDonald's selling more burgers than anyone else. Being the best burger probably isn't one of them.

JMHO.....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Judging based on sales figures takes you to the place where one has to declare McDonald's as having the best hamburger in the world simply because they sell so many more than anyone else. I doubt that many of us would believe that to be the case.

JMHO.....

Rusty
In fact, there is a lot to be said for companies who only make a "few" versus mass production.

Companies that are smaller often have better customer service, and take greater care in the quality of the build. Also some companies are more flexible when it comes to customizing a coach during the build process.

My first RV was a 5th wheel. I had no idea what I wanted, so I looked for a company that was respected and mass produced. I chose a Cedar Creek Silverback, and was very happy with it. My next was a 2008 Fleetwood Discovery DP..that was chosen mainly on floor plan and features. It was with that coach that I realized that some of the features where just that..check the box type features. For instance, it had a solar panel. I didn't know much at the time, but soon discovered that in full sun it might keep enough positive electricity coming in to offset the electricity that the "charging led" consumed.

I started comparing every item that a coach manufacturer puts in, such as the brand and size of jacks, the slide mechanisms, the insulation, the electronics. On and on. I was making mental notes that eventually lead to spreadsheets. The eventual outcome is that no one manufacturer could possibly have the *best* of every component and be a price that I would ever pay.

I finally decided on two Newmar & Entegra, based on the fact that hit far more of my items than any other coach. The construction process was the top item for me. I really wanted the Entegra, and found a great selection only 5 miles from my home in Alvarado, Tx. After spending many days kicking tires, I just couldn't find a floor plan I liked.

I found the Newmar Dutch Star 4347, and went to see it in person. This is the coach I fell in love with. It had good quality construction, a floorplan that worked, and finally a great price.

I can't wait to get the coach, and I know my sales rep is probably sick of me "adding" things. That probably won't end until it starts production, but I love the fact that I can do that!
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
So are we talking regular mass market builders here or
custom one off manufacturers too like Prevost Legendary's etc ?
Old 12-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #8

Humm - great question. Would the best manufacturer of a gas coach also be the best at making a DP? I think I read somewhere that Georgetown is the #1 selling gas coach made by Forest River. Like mentioned before with the McD's analogy. From the research I have done Winnebago or Newmar. I was looking at the Adventurer line and the Canyon Star gas models. I think Winnebago and Newmar are a tie at the top.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I read the O.P's question correctly then the answer would probably be either Newell Coach or Prevost. Most are only custm ordered unless it's a resale.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
If I read the O.P's question correctly then the answer would probably be either Newell Coach or Prevost. Most are only custm ordered unless it's a resale.
This is correct! The debate on production coaches is a bag of worms! Everyone feels their decision on a class A was the BEST. Probably not? Maybe? Each to their own as far as likes or dislikes. Quality, I vote Newell, Foretravel, Prevost. None of which I will be able to own unless very used down the road coaches. As for DW and I we looked for a GOOD coach with lots of bang for the buck and a reliable manufacturer and most importantly a versatile well organized dealership.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #11

Car and Driver tested the Newell. The Newell belonged to a NASCAR driver. Anyway for 1.4 million dollars they thought it should handle and accelerate better. They wanted to drop it off at BMW to see if they could improve the handling. They however did like everything else about it. P.S - they said they knocked down most of the slalom cones. 0 - 60 time was a turtle like 25 seconds.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #12

My vote would be Millennium 2012PrevostMillenniumH_Mill516

bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
I watched an episode of extreme RV's that featured the Newel line of coaches with lot's of coverage on how they're made. One of the few coaches that the chassis is built from scratch from the ground up. Incredible build quality and customization is pretty much limited to whatever you can think of. At 1 million plu$, I'll never own one unless I hit the powerball. Fun to look at and admire though.

Would be my coach of choice if money was no object.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #14

Yes, I believe Newell or Prevosts are at the top. But I don't believe that's the relevant answer to anyone who has a budget under $500K, which I believe most RV owners are can be classified. Just like when looking for any material item: car, boat, house, the "best" is always dictacted by your pocket book. However, the "best" in every price category is another story. So, best DP at every price point can be a fair comparison, or every Gasser or 5er at every price point.

So for me, I'm looking in the 300K range. Yes, this may get me a 10-year old Newell, but I don't want a 10-year coach. At this price range, there are a couple of fine DPs that I believe are quality built. But over the last year, it seems that Entegra and AC are the two stand-outs from the rest, but there are several other that are probably right below them, like Tiffin & Winni.

Since I'm in the 3-year window to retire & go full-time, what happens with these models regarding QC, floorplans, and how the manufacturer treats its customers will help decide which direction I go, not just one specific model year since consistency has to be an attribute displayed by any RV manufacturer over a number of years, not just one.
Jake62 is offline   Reply With Quote