Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2014, 11:06 PM   #1

Whoa...can we say "gouge"?

I recently had an oil change / lube for a 39 foot diesel pusher at NorthTrails RV in Ft. Myers, FL. The simple oil change and lube [24 qts of oil] with oil filter only, was $374.00. I thought WOW, was that pricey. After I left, I checked last years oil change at SpeedCo in Georgia was $230.00 and they changed my fuel filters 2 and oil filter. They lubed it and did some simple checks including SCA for the coolant, etc. Is it me, or are we getting ripped off by some of these RV dealers? I checked Spartan's website, and they said fuel filters should be change too at every oil change, and NorthTrails is a Newmar / Spartan dealer, but NorthTrails only did an oil filter. Needless to say, NorthTrails won't see much of me anymore. I want thoughts and suggestions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2014, 04:23 AM   #2

Yeah, I agree dealers are the worst places to go for routine maint. I've always been able to find a local heavy truck place that will do my coach's oil, lube, and all filters for a lot less than a dealer. A few times I have gone to a Cummins or Spartan shop, but again their prices were higher than a small shop. Less overhead.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:18 AM   #3

This world is buyer be were or you are going to get ripped off ,the fuel filters along with the oil/filter change is yearly no matter what.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
Most dealers are poor for routine maintenance.

However, for sales and warranty service, they can't be beat. Personal experience.

Guess you can't be excellent at everything. LOL
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Speedco all the way! Stopped in Milan, NM, and those guys are great! Out the door for $260, including LOF and a few other additives. They also discovered that I had a leaky front passenger side wheel oil seal that was coating the brakes. No extra charge for that! We were in and out in less than half an hour. A great crew!

Freightliner in Albuquerque had quoted $350-450 but didn't have time for us despite my having coordinated ahead of time to let them know we'd be there and their telling me "no problem", just bring it in.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Comparing the RV dealer's overhead and cost of materials for chassis service to that of a specialty place like SpeedCo, the dealer is always going to loose. Their costs for labor and material are always going to be higher.

Don't go to a dealer for chassis maintenance, unless you have no other options.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #7

If you knew what the service cost was at SpeedCo, I go there also, why would you go anywhere else??? At the time convenience?? I guess you paid for that.....
Old 06-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I go to a mom and pop heavy truck shop. For $65 they do an oil change (I furnish the oil, from Sams, and filters) and chassis lube.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #9

I would find out the price before getting any work done, even if its as simple as getting a air filter changed.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #10

NOT defending the dealer, or dis-agreeing with the other posts, BUT have you priced oil lately? I do my own oil changes ( 7 qts for my gasser) and the 5 qt jugs of premium oil I used to get for 22-26 bucks at Advance Auto are now $36 +. Same stuff in 1 qt bottles is over $9 per quart. Just sayin.....
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
NOT defending the dealer, or dis-agreeing with the other posts, BUT have you priced oil lately? I do my own oil changes ( 7 qts for my gasser) and the 5 qt jugs of premium oil I used to get for 22-26 bucks at Advance Auto are now $36 +. Same stuff in 1 qt bottles is over $9 per quart. Just sayin.....
Walmart is your answer
Old 06-01-2014, 07:01 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some dealers are rip off artists, some are honest.. On my Workhorse 8.1L *(Gasser) an oil change at CW is 90-100 bucks

At the dealer 60.. of course they closed, the new dealer I go to is like 65 and that's Durablend.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #13

I found a large truck shop that does it for 12.50 plus tax if I supply the oil and filter. Includes lubing all fittings.
2013 F53
Ford oil and filter at Walmart is around 32 bucks

2013 Georgetown XL 378

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
wrapperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #14

I stopped by a local HDT repair shop and asked the price for an oil N filter change. I almost fainted when the guy said $550 for that and new fuel filters. Bought 2, 5G pails of Mobile Delvac,(only used one) with the rebate it ended up $29 a pail. New oil filter $39. Changed it myself for $80. The bottom 8" of a plastic barrel makes a great drain pan. It will hold 1.2 gallons per inch.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote