Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #71

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum. My husband and I have a deposit on our first diesel motorhome. A 2012 Astoria 36MQ with 12,000 miles. The dealer reccomended Cornerstone at least for the inside, (I believe exterior is stil under manufacturer warranty), Tire Sheild and a GAP Coverage through NSD.

Anyone with experience with Tire Shield or GAP Coverage?

Also, I noticed online something about Camp Freightliner. Anyone had any experience with that?

Thanks in advance for your input.
lawestfal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #72

Monaco Owners Club
Interstate Star RV Warranty Policy?

Glad I found this thread. I didn't know what consequential damage coverage was before. I just talked with Wholesale Warranty today and they recommend Protek. We are settling on our RV on Saturday and the dealer promotes Interstate Star RV "only the diamond level". My head has been spinning with all of this motorhome stuff in financing and whether to warranty or not. Ours will be a 2002 Monaco diesel 40' -- 48000 mi. It has been very well maintained. The dealer says StarRV is an exceptional policy...4 years for $5200 with $500 deductible. $200 deductible is $500 more.

Wholesale Warranty says they no longer handle StarRV because of issues with them. Our dealers is quite reputable with 60+ years in industry.

Who and what in the world do you believe in the motorhome world?
sstehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #73

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstehman View Post
Glad I found this thread. I didn't know what consequential damage coverage was before. I just talked with Wholesale Warranty today and they recommend Protek. We are settling on our RV on Saturday and the dealer promotes Interstate Star RV "only the diamond level". My head has been spinning with all of this motorhome stuff in financing and whether to warranty or not. Ours will be a 2002 Monaco diesel 40' -- 48000 mi. It has been very well maintained. The dealer says StarRV is an exceptional policy...4 years for $5200 with $500 deductible. $200 deductible is $500 more.

Wholesale Warranty says they no longer handle StarRV because of issues with them. Our dealers is quite reputable with 60+ years in industry.

Who and what in the world do you believe in the motorhome world?
So after a lot of research and talking about not needing an ESP, last week I pulled the trigger... Why? Because I have a 10 year old coach and the policy with Wholesale Warranties is a "diamond" coverage policy for $131 /month. I didn't have to put anything more upfront than the first month, I can pay monthly, and can cancel the policy after 6 months without a penalty. At this point my coverage starts in May and 6 months later is October. Total cost during my peak usage season for 2014 will be about $800. I plan on several trips this year and $800 is worth having a little extra peace of mind. It's also not that much that if I don't need it, it isn't going to make much of a difference...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:35 PM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
Has anyone ever thought about just setting up a little account for unforseen problems and pay that same amount of money into it each month...? Seems like you would come out way ahead in the long run and you'd be saving your own money...!
I know this is over a year old but I just purchased my 11 year old Beaver. The above sounds great but what if I have one of those horror story problems like a 15000.00 dollar diesel repair like you see quoted in the extended warranty advertizements? How far is the 6K I save from not buying the policy going to get me? great if I can go a few years but still?
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:37 PM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I didn't know I could have negotiated the price and bought a $4500, 4 year Phx American policy from the stealer in June. My motor blew up in Oct due to a weak fuel pump and there were other items on the claim. Total was >$10K. Worked for me.
I should have read further! This is what I'm talking about!
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:32 PM   #76

Since the mfg warranty on our 1-year old coach is expiring, I began shopping around to see if it was worth it to get an ext warranty now or wait and consider when the chassis mfg warranty was up too. For a 6-year $250 deductible Gold plan Good Sam quoted me $15,155! I called back to confirm if there was an error and was told the number was correct. I'll reconsider in 2 years.

2013 Newmar Ventana 3634
gmpartsvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #77

Good sams extended is not very good at all
ixtapamayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #78

I bought 2 extended warranties on one car and one motor home some years ago.They were called Warranty Gold. I purchased the most expensive warranty they offered for both. 5 months later I got 2 letters informing me the the company filed chapter 11 and if I filled out a mountain of forms they might be able to get some of my $ back. I'm still waiting.... Buy yourself some basic tools to change oil and work on the engine if needs be. Buy a service manual and study it and open a bank account and put the monthly premiums in there. That's a good extended warranty that pays you back if you never use it and what's learned transfers to other cars and trucks.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #79

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to JMacy
Quote:
Glad I found this thread. I didn't know what consequential damage coverage was before. I just talked with Wholesale Warranty today and they recommend Protek. We are settling on our RV on Saturday and the dealer promotes Interstate Star RV "only the diamond level". My head has been spinning with all of this motorhome stuff in financing and whether to warranty or not. Ours will be a 2002 Monaco diesel 40' -- 48000 mi. It has been very well maintained. The dealer says StarRV is an exceptional policy...4 years for $5200 with $500 deductible. $200 deductible is $500 more. Wholesale Warranty says they no longer handle StarRV because of issues with them. Our dealers is quite reputable with 60+ years in industry. Who and what in the world do you believe in the motorhome world?
We have Wholesale Warranty had claims and was very satisfied with their recommendations.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:30 AM   #80

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawestfal View Post
.......Also, I noticed online something about Camp Freightliner. Anyone had any experience with that?

Thanks in advance for your input.
lawestfal, if your coach has a Freightliner chassis, the Camp Freightliner course will be well worthwhile. Its a two-day course held at the FL facility in Gaffney, SC, and at a few other locations on occasion. They cover a raft of operation and maintenance information. This is on the chassis only, not the coach body. The instructor, Mike Cody, tailors info for each attendee's chassis, based specifically on your VIN. Very much worth the cost. Recommend unequivocally.

Google "Camp Freightliner" for details, schedule and availability, or call Syndi Hamrick at FL in Gaffney at (864) 206-8267.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
ACC Warranty - not impressed so far

Contacted ACC Warranty for a quote. Sent me a quote and a brochure. Asked for a sample contract that I could read. They told me the details are in the brochure. The brochure seems unrealistic. Even is covering tires under 6 years old and unlimited mileage. It's giving me the "if it's too good to be true" it probably is.

Hate this "extended warranty" stuff.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #82

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Also, anyone that has dealt with Wholesale Warranties in general... Did you negotiate your ultimate policy cost?

I know the OP's original question is a bit stale but...

I went through WW and was placed with Pro Tech. Total cost for 4 years was $5996 and in 13 months I have been paid $4204 and I have paid $600 out of pocket deductible expenses for coverage claims. None of my claims was a problem and WW has been very helpful in a couple situations where I had questions on how to best proceed.

We did a little negotiating the total cost. WW was most helpful in understanding all the rider information. On piece of the agreement was not worded to my satisfaction regarding full time coverage. WW added an addendum to the agreement directly addressing my concern and I was extremely pleased with how they handled that.

In the end, I look at ESW as the same as any insurance that is designed to protect my assets. Clearly, I am on the winning edge of that equation. In the end, I have protection from the costs of a catastrophic maintenance event with my coverage options. If I didn't have any need to use the policy, that would be very convenient but I would then have spent that money for nothing...sounds like auto insurance to me.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #83

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Contacted ACC Warranty for a quote. Sent me a quote and a brochure. Asked for a sample contract that I could read. They told me the details are in the brochure. The brochure seems unrealistic. Even is covering tires under 6 years old and unlimited mileage. It's giving me the "if it's too good to be true" it probably is.

Hate this "extended warranty" stuff.
When I was looking for an ESW I had the same problem with ACC providing me a sample contract. WW did't have a problem doing that. ACC just sorta ticked me off with their attitude. WW got my business.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #84

Monaco Owners Club
ACC Warranty -- no way will I deal with them

I must share this. I asked ACC for a sample copy of the contract so I could read it. They only gave me a brochure originally. I will paraphrase their response.

No. You only get the contract when you pay for it. You have 30 days to try it out and then ask for a refund.

Who in the heck does business like that. Only an imbecile would ask someone to pay for a contract they have never seen and only an imbecile would agree to do that.

And by the way, how do you try out a warranty contract in 30 days?

Stay away from this outfit.