Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-15-2015, 07:58 AM   #1
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wholesale Warranties for Holiday Rambler...worth $5,300 ??

I recently purchased a 2003 Endeavor with 33K mikes (Cummins 8.3 and 3000 Allison). All systems seem to be fine and it runs out fine. I have no history but it was a one owner and it was repossessed in Pennsylvania. I checked with Wholesale Warranties for a warranty. They quoted me $5,300 for a 48 month 40k miles $100 deductible that covers everything except a small list of things. So its basically $110 per month for a warranty with a small deductible for the next 4 years. I know I wont hit the mileage and do not live in it full time. OK so the question is, would you buy it....please give me your thoughts on this thx

2003 HR Endeavor 36PST
2008 HHR Panel van (toad)
grthigpen is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2015, 08:09 AM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
How do you do at the poker table? With that age of coach it might be a good deal. The price is reasonable if it includes all the appliances. If it's a rear radiator yes. It will not cover the items that wear out, seals belts and such but that is not the big money. If as you say it covers almost everything I would do it and sleep better.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:19 AM   #3
It is a crap shoot, like other forms of insurance and warranties. You may never need it and then again, it could save you thousands. It is your call and budget.
Jim and Darlene Wright
plus Ryder, the Ethiopian
monkeybeaver dog
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:51 AM   #4
It really all depends on your tolerance for risk. If you can face a $25,000 repair bill without financial ruin, then "ride naked" (self insure). On average you will pay more in premiums than you collect on the policy (otherwise the company would be out of business.) With insurance (extended warranty) you are buying peace of mind. For a 12 year old coach there is a lot that could make you very happy to have the coverage.
Upstate South Carolina
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2012 Honda CRV
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
Country Coach Owners Club
I ask WW about a warranty for my 2002. They would warranty everything but the drivetrain so you might want to read closer.
2002 Country Coach Intrigue
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:04 AM   #6
I took out an extended warranty on our 06 Meridian DP, for piece of mind, cost about $4.5k.
2 weeks later the Dimented inverter packed in, and had to be replaced with a pure sine wave one, at a cost of $4100 installed. Figure I guessed right in getting the warranty. One more thing goes wrong in 4 years, and I'm ahead of the game. Doesn't always pan out, but in our case I think it will..........
06 Itasca Meridian 39K
15 Grand Cherokee Toad
Workin on the road
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:48 AM   #7
Wow, they've gone up. I purchased our warranty with them a year ago this month for $4400.00 48 mos./ 48k miles on our 2005 Country Coach Allure.
It was with ProTek thru Wholesale Warranty and covered most everything. It's already paid for itself.
2005 Country Coach Allure 470 42
ISL 400 Cummins
37driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:22 AM   #8
It really depends upon your tolerance for pain and hoops. Warranty companies fold up all the time, and those that stay in business often refuse to pay lots of things you probably thought they would pay. So its not like they are sure to be there when you need them or that they will even pay for a new part when they claim yours is used and so...
Lets assume they stay in business and are reasonable with their payouts (big assumption IMHO) but think about warranties in this way: Paying for the warranty assures you will at least pay for major breakdowns whether or not you actually have one. Putting the money into some account for just such an emergency is a much better idea. Check with the likes of Clark Howard Advice You Can Trust. Money in Your Pocket | Clark Howard and other financial gurus and you will find most warranties are a rip off.
Frank W. '09 Cayman 38 SBD '08 CRV
Lake City, Florida
flynnwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anyone who believes those warranties "cover most everything" is doomed to disappointment. The exclusion component list may be short, but the general exclusions are quite broad. Seemingly innocuous exclusions such as "wear & tear" or "seals' or "structure" can and will have broad ramifications. And no body parts or accessories are covered at all, nor any interior stuff except appliances.

I had one insurer insist that a failed windshield wiper motor was simply worn out at age 6. Claimed the average wiper motor life was only 5 years! Really? Don't know where they pulled that number from, but I couldn't find any documented studies I could use to refute either, so I lost that claim.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:20 PM   #10
At $5300, you would be spending up front for repairs that might or might not be needed. I would not buy one and never have. I am tens of thousands of dollars ahead of the game. It's just a guess, but I suspect that less than 20% of people who purchase an extended warranty come out ahead. On a forum like this, you will hear from the 20%, but the other 80% are making the ins companies very profitable.
2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
26' Enclosed trailer for toys
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #11
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we bought the Magna the dealer said they would send the info as they didn't have it right now. Engine blew 2,600 miles later (over $33,000 bill that we paid $22,000+ of as Cummins paid part). Paperwork for the service policy was delivered home the day after we got home and AFTER the engine blew. It was right at $9,000 for 4 years. Wish we had had a chance to buy it BEFORE the engine self destructed. The valve problems are a not well know problem with the 2007 EPA version ISX engine and Cummins is not stepping up to the plate and covering the repairs. I know of more than one other failure like ours too.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #12
Monaco Owners Club
I've never had a warranty on a coach and probably never will. I have read horror stories of people fighting for a claim. The big things I'd consider or look into is the exclusions as this is what will come back to haunt you along with proof of adequate and proper service.

That being said, in the last ~2 years I've had a generator fail, ECU for the Transmission, 1AC unit, exhaust manifold, and EMS system for a total of $11K. This did not include a radiator replacement that was covered under my insurance $7K.

Starting to miss my tent.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:35 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I am in the club where warranties have paid off for me with my vehicles, and after my generator repair will be ahead on my RV.

I would only suggest to take a look at pricing on a $500 deductible

2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote

holiday rambler, sale