Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #1

why a surge protector is needed?

I have a Damon Daybreak 3190 first trip coming up, saw an earlier post about the necessity of a surge protector. Can someone explain this to me?
bmerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #2

Prevents laying out big bucks after your electronics are fried by a voltage surge or your A/C compressor.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Simply put, it saves your coaches electrical/electronics from power abnormalities.

This link will get you started

iRV2 Forums - Search Results

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Very cheap insurance. When some older campgrounds gets busy and the power levels drop, the low voltage can fry your a/c fridge etc. Low power can be a real killer. Your surge guard protects from high voltage and low voltage. Mine has saved me more than once.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #5

Surge protectors that hook directly onto campground pedestal can be stolen. Get one that you can lock onto your cable or better yet if you can afford it, get one that attaches directly to your coach at the on board end on the electrical cable.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Many members (us included) have EMS's (Energy Management Systems) from Progressive Industries, portable or hard-wired, in our RV's. You have to protect yourself & your RV's equipment from what can be questionable campground power. Not having protection can lead to VERY expensive repairs.

Go to THIS LINK on their website & view the videos they have. They are excellent & will help you understand the need.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
You have to protect yourself & your RV's equipment from what can be questionable campground power. Not having protection can lead to VERY expensive repairs. Lori-
Do I need a surge protector for my laptop when using the rv generator, or only when plugged into shore power?

Barb
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
IMO, the chances of your generator (i.e.genny) blowing up your electronics/appliances are slim to none compared to shore power. Although never say never, it COULD happen.

You can place an EMS either before or after the transfer switch (the item which controls whether power to your coach systems comes from shore power or the genny).

Placing it before the transfer switch protects the transfer switch & all your electronics/appliances from shore power problems, but not from genny problems.

Placing it after the transfer switch protects your electronics/appliances from shore power & genny problems, but does not protect the transfer switch - which is a VERY expensive piece to replace if fried.

Lori-
Old 02-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Why would you need a surge protector? Let's just say I wouldn't have a new pure sine wave inverter, transfer switch, EMS, and 2 flat screens IF I had owned one! Lesson learned cost me approx. $6000.
Oh, what happened? Some idiot plugged coach into his 220V welder plug.

Kerry
BABrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABrede View Post
Why would you need a surge protector? Let's just say I wouldn't have a new pure sine wave inverter, transfer switch, EMS, and 2 flat screens IF I had owned one! Lesson learned cost me approx. $6000.
Oh, what happened? Some idiot plugged coach into his 220V welder plug.

Kerry
YIKES!!! Well, THAT answers the question better than anything!

Lori-
Old 02-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #11

Omg, that gave me chills. I hate to hear those types of hardships, but I'll bet it will help others from similar hardships.
Its Paid For is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABrede View Post
Some idiot plugged coach into his 220V welder plug. Kerry
LOL, well you sold me on the merits of buying a really good SP! THANKS!

Barb
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:06 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
So....neighbor at campground asked why we had a Surge Guard when we already had protection from surges with the EMS (Energy Mgmt. Syst.) already built into our coach. He made a comment to the effect this was kind of paranoid and like having extra switches for the same light bulb.

Didn't have an answer for him since I don't know NUTTIN about electronic wiring systems. All we know is that our Surge Protector HAS protected our rig on at least two occasions (maybe 3) from campground electrical systems which took hits from lightning during severe storms.

So, is there a reason to additionally include a Surge Protector in line when hooking up when your rig includes an EMS system which should (I guess) already protect the rigs electronics???

Just curious.

Steve
Old 03-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #14

Chickadee,

The EMS system in your coach is really more of a load management system that is usful when not plugged into a full 50 amps. It will shed appliances based on the amount of power available and what is being used. A great thing to have when plugged into 30 or 20 amps.

The Surge Protector also gets called an EMS but works completely differently. It will check the shore power for various conditions that are real bad for todays modern coaches and the electronics in them.

Bottom line is you need both. Most of the time the SP EMS shuts us off for low voltage, but twice it has been for high voltage. The first time the voltage was 255. As mentioned that will fry just about everything inside the rig. It was at a fairgrounds CG and somehow two 'hots' came into contact inside the box doubling the voltage.

The real scary thing about that was that it also increased the voltage at the other sites because it was the old daisy chain type of wiring (from 1 site to the next ...). I would never be without ours.

Bob