Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another reason for an "Air Dump"...compressed air builds up a small amount of moisture in your tanks over time. An air dumping will purge the system of this moisture. You do not want or need moisture in your brake system or air bags.

Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Any dump is a good dump.
Absolutely, and refreshing too

Old 09-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegd007 View Post
Another reason for an "Air Dump"...compressed air builds up a small amount of moisture in your tanks over time. An air dumping will purge the system of this moisture. You do not want or need moisture in your brake system or air bags.
Good point, but any "air system" such as a coach with air brakes should have an "air dryer" that only functions when used by the air system... Just dumping the air from the suspension will not nessesarly (sp?) remove the water from your system... You should still have air pressure to use. Water goes to the lowest point of course, which is not usually a "dump valve" for your suspension,,, IMO ... Also any air tank will have a drain at the bottom (or should) to manually remove the water,,, EVEN IF you have an air dryer... you should drain the water from your tanks ... Just another thing to remember with an air system...
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
If your air dryer is working you should never see any water in any of the 3 tanks.
I haven't seen any water in my tanks the whole 10 years of owning it.

If you ever find any water in the tanks. Get the air dryer maintenance/change filters taken care of right away.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Airing down can mean the difference between having a level motorhome and a not quite level motorhome if the campsite you are assigned is not very level. Say the campsite you have backed into is 4 or 5 inches higher in the back than it is in the front. If you don't air down before deploying the jacks, there may not be enough travel in the front jacks to make the motorhome level. The 3 or 4 inches you air down could mean the difference.
Caution: If you air down, you should minimize the distance you drive before airing back up. Especially in the case of a diesel pusher with their very short driveshaft, the U-Joint angle is dangerously high when aired down. To get into the storage shed, we have to air down and we do so right in front of the door before backing in. Then, when we get it back out, we pause just outside the door to let the air come back up before driving off. We put a clothespin under the air down switch when entering and exiting the shed so we can use both hands to steer.
CaymanPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #34

Just to add to an already interesting thread, I think one of the biggest assets to the "air dump", is in the morning, it takes time for the air to come up, before starting out. That time is just about right, for the engine to reach operating temp.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegd007 View Post
Moisture collects mostly in the reservoir. To purge moisture, you need to open the petcocks on the reservoirs. There is little need to worry about moisture in the suspension or brake pods. Running some alcohol in the reservoir will help to absorb the moisture and prevent it from entering any down-stream components. Even without alcohol in the system, there's little chance of a moisture issue down stream from the reservoir.

IMO, using "air dump" is a "want to" thing, not a "have to" thing. It's more of a convenience when you want to lower the vehicle by choice, for whatever reason. There's rarely a reason you HAVE TO dump air from the suspension for the sake of the vehicle itself. It's pretty much just a way to lower it if you desire.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you get a coach with the HWH automatic levelers, it dumps your air and then levels the coach and you don't have to do a thing except push one button.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #37

My coach only has a switch to dump the air out. When does it fill? What goes down must have to return to ride height. The coach should be started once or twice a month. If I start the coach do my bags refill and need to be drained once again when I shut it down. I was told by a couple parked behind me the last time I went camping that he cracked his windshield using the air dump. Seems to me that he might have had a stone chip or hairline crack to cause that to happen.

Must be nice to only have one button to do all. I don't even have auto leveling. But I do have a grinder for the waste.....
Old 12-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #38

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHogg View Post
Moisture collects mostly in the reservoir. To purge moisture, you need to open the petcocks on the reservoirs. There is little need to worry about moisture in the suspension or brake pods. Running some alcohol in the reservoir will help to absorb the moisture and prevent it from entering any down-stream components. Even without alcohol in the system, there's little chance of a moisture issue down stream from the reservoir.

IMO, using "air dump" is a "want to" thing, not a "have to" thing. It's more of a convenience when you want to lower the vehicle by choice, for whatever reason. There's rarely a reason you HAVE TO dump air from the suspension for the sake of the vehicle itself. It's pretty much just a way to lower it if you desire.
The newer rigs (our 2000 on FL chassis was new enough) to have auto purge valves. If the air dryer is working correctly you don't need to use the manual purge valves.
I always lower the vehicle when I stay for very long as it allows the steps to be lower for my vertically challenged wife!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:22 AM   #39
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Before you beat yourself over the head for pumping the brakes perhaps you saw it in the operator manual. If nothing else it lowers the pressure fast to the point where you cannot accidently release the parking brake. Or have a heavy dog do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12-28-2012 1-18-53 AM.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	31074  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 12-28-2012 1-18-53 AM.bmp (409.3 KB, 24 views)
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #40
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Our coach uses the air bags for leveling and does not have the hydraulic jacks. We pull into the campsite, extend the slides, dump the air, then finally level the coach. It seems to level faster after the air is dumped for some reason. We really like the step close to the ground so we don't need a stepstool. Makes it easier on these old knees!
Good luck, happy trails, and may God bless & keep you safe!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #41

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedweller View Post
My coach only has a switch to dump the air out. When does it fill? What goes down must have to return to ride height.
When you start the engine the compressor will bring the air back up in the bags.

Quote:
The coach should be started once or twice a month. If I start the coach do my bags refill and need to be drained once again when I shut it down.
No you don't need to start it once or twice a month! In fact, unless you are going to drive for 20 minutes or so, don't start it just let it be!

Quote:
I was told by a couple parked behind me the last time I went camping that he cracked his windshield using the air dump. Seems to me that he might have had a stone chip or hairline crack to cause that to happen.
Sounds like the frame twisted - might be the site he was on or something else.

Quote:
Must be nice to only have one button to do all. I don't even have auto leveling. But I do have a grinder for the waste.....
Yes, auto leveling is a nice addition. But lots of time I still have to tweak it after it has settled overnight.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #42
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
IMO, one of the most important aspects of the air dump is when you're not going to clear something overhead by "that" much....suddenly you can, if you move very slowly forward (remember, you have no suspension give after dumping air!).

For one of my friends, it was the difference between getting it into his barn, and not!

On my coach the air bags fill back to the "Travel" position when I start the engine. Someone else mentioned holding down the "Dump" button while moving. Does anyone know if that will work on my Monaco Windsor with the HWH 680 leveling system?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote