Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #43

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
It's a shorter fall to the ground when you trip over your dog at the top of the stairs.
Nomination for best answer in this thread award!!!!

(Well funniest in any case)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #44
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaymanPilot View Post
Caution: If you air down, you should minimize the distance you drive before airing back up. Especially in the case of a diesel pusher with their very short driveshaft, the U-Joint angle is dangerously high when aired down. To get into the storage shed, we have to air down and we do so right in front of the door before backing in. Then, when we get it back out, we pause just outside the door to let the air come back up before driving off. We put a clothespin under the air down switch when entering and exiting the shed so we can use both hands to steer.
Steve, on my Monaco the air bags automatically return to the "Travel" level when I start the engine. Is yours not that way?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #45

Dumping the air has nothing to do with pumping the brake pedal. All that does is empties your air tanks, like when you want to work on the air system to deplete the air. The air bags will stay inflated. Dumping the suspension empties the air bags but does not empty the air supply tanks. And also, pumping brakes or dumping air WILL NOT purge moisture from the system. Air dryer will do this and you can also drain the tanks manually. My tanks have a heated purge valve on each tank that does it automatically.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #46

Country Coach Owners Club
Pumping your air brakes will remove air from the brake system and should engage the emergency/parking spring brake to keep the rig from rolling until the system is aired up and the spring brake released.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #47

So what's a Tag Dump switch do?
Britman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britman View Post
So what's a Tag Dump switch do?
Depending on the coach it either removes the downward pressure or raises the tag. Both accomplish nearly the something for backing and tight turns.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post

Depending on the coach it either removes the downward pressure or raises the tag. Both accomplish nearly the something for backing and tight turns.
Further to the above:
Raising the tag shortens the wheel base that's why can do a tighter turn ( smaller arc).
In my coach it lowers the rear of the coach as it places more load on the drive axle - this is an unintended consequence that can damage the stone guard if you are not careful.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #50

I had my wife read this thread as she was concerned it meant the same as her DH when he dumped his air
Old 12-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
When you start the engine the compressor will bring the air back up in the bags.

No you don't need to start it once or twice a month! In fact, unless you are going to drive for 20 minutes or so, don't start it just let it be!

Sounds like the frame twisted - might be the site he was on or something else.

Yes, auto leveling is a nice addition. But lots of time I still have to tweak it after it has settled overnight.

Barb

I guess everybody has an opinion on starting the coach periodically. Never had to start the 5er so this is all new to me. I have been told by many, to start it and let it get up to operating temp. The driving instructor at Lazy Days, who has Motorhomed for a lot of years says every 2 weeks. I would rather not but..... Still learning..
lakedweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #52
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Steve, on my Monaco the air bags automatically return to the "Travel" level when I start the engine. Is yours not that way?
If you hold the dump switch while the engine is running, it will dump the air as long as you are holding the button. Once you let go of the button, it will return to ride height. That is how my HWH system on my 2000 Windsor works.
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Yes, if I have dumped the airbags and shut off the engine so that the air compressor on the engine is not running, the airbags stay deflated. As soon as I start the engine, the compressor starts pumping up the airbags automatically. This is why we put a clothes pin on the air dump switch to hold it in the "on" position while backing into the shed - even though the air compressor on the engine is trying to pump the airbags back up, the air dump switch overrides it and the bags stay deflated so we can get into the shed.
So, the clothes pin does the same thing as holding the air dump switch down as JDL mentions above. I use the clothes pin because I like to have both hands on the wheel while backing into the shed. Just don't forget to remove the clothes pin when you get the coach back out of the shed and drive off. Continued operation with the airbags deflated can seriously damage the u-joints.

Happy New Year!
CaymanPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #54
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaymanPilot View Post
Yes, if I have dumped the airbags and shut off the engine so that the air compressor on the engine is not running, the airbags stay deflated. As soon as I start the engine, the compressor starts pumping up the airbags automatically. This is why we put a clothes pin on the air dump switch to hold it in the "on" position while backing into the shed - even though the air compressor on the engine is trying to pump the airbags back up, the air dump switch overrides it and the bags stay deflated so we can get into the shed.
So, the clothes pin does the same thing as holding the air dump switch down as JDL mentions above. I use the clothes pin because I like to have both hands on the wheel while backing into the shed. Just don't forget to remove the clothes pin when you get the coach back out of the shed and drive off. Continued operation with the airbags deflated can seriously damage the u-joints.

Happy New Year!
I have the HWH air leveling system. I don't believe the air dump can be held down by a clothespin. Fortunately my RV shed was once a 5th wheel toy hauler shed, so I have an over abundance of roof clearance. I can actually wash the roof while in the shed, I have enough room to get up there and walk. It gets better if I let the air out.

Happy New Year
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:18 AM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
My owners manual cautions me to keep the wheels straight when moving while dumping the air, or moving the coach before it is fully aired up. The front tires may rub the fenders. I always wait until my coach is fully aired up before moving, only takes a few minutes. Just a word of caution. Air dump is a great feature that I use often, wouldn't be with out it.

Happy New Year!!
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote