Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2019, 04:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
We have a stock F53 chassis and it drives just fine the way it came. My thought is that the handling problems are created by the coach builders and owners, not Ford. 1) The wheelbase should be at least 56% of the overall length. 2) The GAWR's need to be adhered to. 3) Weight should be as far forward in the coach as you can get it without overloading the front axle.

Same here, our 2013 Tiffin 36 LA has zero mods on chassis. Handles just fine and have never felt any trucks passing us and they all do. Only problem is with strong cross winds which will affect any coach whether gas or diesel. Noise is not an issue whatsoever. Maint is super cheap and gas cost versus diesel is a wash when you add in def. Quality of build is identical to Tiffins entry DP.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2019, 04:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post

When its sitting in the parking spot, all hooked up with power and water, there is no difference between a gasser and a DP.
I guess you could say the same thing for a 40 passenger plane if it were parked next to a bus.
Lantley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:26 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I took a very short drive with a friend in his Class A Gasser. What a ride, we wondered all over the road with the coach swaying back and forth. He was use to it so it didn't bother him but it sure was an eye opener for me. The next day I followed the Class A gasser, my wife was riding with them. I watched as the coach wandered and swayed back and forth. I asked my wife about the ride and she said she was terrified most of the time.

Our DP, in my opinion, handles great even in high winds or when semi's are passing. I drive the coach +800 miles and not feel fatigued.

There is no way I'd consider a gasser Class A.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Same here, our 2013 Tiffin 36 LA has zero mods on chassis. Handles just fine and have never felt any trucks passing us and they all do. Only problem is with strong cross winds which will affect any coach whether gas or diesel. Noise is not an issue whatsoever. Maint is super cheap and gas cost versus diesel is a wash when you add in def. Quality of build is identical to Tiffins entry DP.
Our 1999 Dutchstar gasser rides great. Only extra is supersteer.
Never had a noise or wind problem. Tracks straight and passing trucks are no problem.
Just finished 3500 mile trip with no issues at all. Towing crv to RI and back to Melbourne fl. Averaged 6 .7 mph thats with gen running most of time.
No bank note. Paid cash 8 yrs ago. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190901_145230.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	264530Click image for larger version

Name:	1183534078.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	264531
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:34 PM   #19
Lit

National RV Owners Club
What a great ____ contest this has turned into
Lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #20

A DP will carry more weight so if you want to take a lots of stuff, and if I traveled many miles and took long rides in a day I would go with a DP. I only go 5 to 7 thousand miles a year and am not in a hurry so gas works for me. DP also weigh a lot more.

I have had two class A RVs. I Ford that weighed 16,000 and it was a handful, now I have a workhorse that is 23,000 lbs and goes straight down the road and is not bothered by trucks or cross winds and goes through the curves like a car.

Geo19Irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:19 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
We don't usually put many miles on, so our gasser is just fine for us too.
Plenty of room, mid entry, drivers door, 3 slides, W/D, bottom mounted AC/Heat Pump, and pretty well all the other things we can want or need.

It would be nice to have the torque and power of a diesel, but the extra cost and unavailability of the mid door AND drivers door keep us in the gasser market.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post
your reason 1 makes no since dp start at 31.5 ft (tiffen breeze) gas go up to 40 ft (mine is 39 ft).

I haven't seen many 27ft DP models maybe there are some?
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:38 PM   #23

These are always fun aren't they?

I think most of us would get a DP if we had unlimited funds. Most of us don't have unlimited funds.

For us it came down to floorplan and amenities as I think it should for most. We have grown kids and grandkids that like to go with us. Our rig can sleep us and four grandkids and not have to make the dinette or couch into beds. We can sleep 10 if needed although that will never happen.

Some of our must haves were bunkbeds, cab overhead bed, residential fridge, two baths (ours has two full baths), king bed for us (ours is an adjustable base king), pure sine wave inverter (ours is 1800w) LED lights throughout (ours are all dimmable minus just a couple), no TV over the windshield, outside TV, large holding tanks (we have 100 gal fresh, 2-40 gal black and 2-40 gal gray), a lot of basement storage (we have 216 cu ft of storage), mid-entry door (we hate the entry doors at the front passengers seat, way too cramped) plus more. We got them all and then some. For what we paid, we would have been looking at '02 to maybe '08 DP's. I don't think a DP in those years even exists with our must haves.

Ours is a 39 footer with a 262" wheelbase on a 24k chassis. I have done the CHF, steering stabilizer and a rear track bar. Total investment at just under $1000 with me doing the work. The rig drives very nice and I have done many 12-14 hour days. I don't care what you are driving, after a 12-14 hour day, you are tired. I have done the Smokey Mountains and the rig has done fine pulling our CR-V. Never got below 60mph.

Every individuals situation is different and thus their decision. There isn't a right or wrong answer, just what works best for you. I hope everyone enjoys their rig as much as we do!
Old 10-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Assuming that 4-500 miles with a gas A is a cake walk is absurd. That’s a long day of getting roughed up.

My 43 ft DP was 5 years old when I bought it. My price was less than a new 34 ft gas A.

Advice: don’t test drive a DP with 10 air bags and 10 shocks.
I like only stopping for fuel every three days ...
Old 10-23-2019, 06:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmiller1 View Post
I like only stopping for fuel every three days ...
No problem. Just camp at the gas station for day 2 and 3 . Fill up when you leave.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:12 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
No problem. Just camp at the gas station for day 2 and 3 . Fill up when you leave.
LOL
Old 10-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantley View Post
I guess you could say the same thing for a 40 passenger plane if it were parked next to a bus.
I've been on a lot of aircraft from four passenger to 400 and not one was anywhere near the long term comfort level of my 13 year old budget gas coach. You comparison is junk so try again.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
We don't usually put many miles on, so our gasser is just fine for us too.

Plenty of room, mid entry, drivers door, 3 slides, W/D, bottom mounted AC/Heat Pump, and pretty well all the other things we can want or need.

It would be nice to have the torque and power of a diesel, but the extra cost and unavailability of the mid door AND drivers door keep us in the gasser market.

Happy Glamping.

Yup. I understand that.
Drivers door: gotta fill up often. Check.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, gas