Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2019, 09:47 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
We recently purchase our very nice & clean Adventurer gasser (35ft) from the original owner. Kept inside & looks like new with 50k miles. It drives very good in stock form and we think its pretty quiet on the hwy. It had new Michelins, brakes etc & all receipts since new, we paid about 21k for this unit. For the money we got a very nice rig.

This allowed us to keep our Dodge 4x4 diesel with our 1181 Lance that we use for other purposes. Were thinking about a trip to Utah this Spring towing the Jeep so we will be taking the truck & camper because of the fuel costs (12mpg truck versus 6 for the MH) and other reasons.

I'm still working full time & usually drive the MH within a 500 mile destination or less so I don't feel I could justify a DP. I don't want the expensive ownership that would come with it.

My point being you don't have to spend a 100k+++ for a used DP to enjoy "clamping".

Before buying our we did walk into a used DP Tiffin that had the Force diesel in the rear it was beautiful & was cool but they were asking over a 100k for this one & I didn't want the headaches & expenses that came with owning a Max-Force diesel.

I'm able to spend a 100k for a MH but would cut into my retirement fund if I retire next year, so for us a cheaper gas rig works for us. Sorry for the long post, good luck!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2019, 11:35 AM   #44

I have learned to LOVE our Gaser!

Reason why is that its super easy to work on like oil changes, sumo spring install, etc!

The ride with the upgrades is great! (might be because our family is young but not for sure)

The cost is not relevant because we bought new and rolled in a bunch of negative equity into our.

We switch out drivers every 200 miles so driver fatigue is not an issue even on the big 800 mile days which only happens a few times a year.

Yes there is road noise and you do hear the engine when accelerating but at this point in our life Gasers are PERFECT but I also was able to live a great life for under 1k a month total so maybe we are just in the early years of our RV adventuring!

I honestly think what is now making me think Gasers for life is the turn around on service if we have to put it in the shop. When we want to go somewhere we pretty much make it happen right then and there!
Amikel0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #45

I have been to NFLD twice in an rv. This trip was in a diesel pusher, the last trip was in my previous 37g Adventurer gas mh. Did I have five times as much fun because we were in a pusher? Not at all. We did enjoy the quiet smooth ride a bit better, but all in all, its not like it is apples to oranges. I think the main difference, is the fact that the gasser didn't have an engine brake. We encountered some large hills on both trips. In fact, the most memorable of the gas rv trip, was coming down a very large hill in Fundy National Park in New Brunswick. The hill drops about 1000 ft in 4 kms {about 2.5 miles}. Even though I started down the hill in first gear from practically stopped, by the time we hit the bottom, I was pretty much ready for a underwear change. I hit the brakes intermittently as you are supposed to, and the brakes were smoking by the time we hit the bottom. Its pretty scary when you are driving something that big down switchbacks, and you are still picking up speed. Having an engine brake like the diesels have is one of the main reasons I switched to the diesel. Many of the gas rvs out there are worth more than my diesel. Maybe they have built some type of engine brake into newer gas rvs, but that engine brake is priceless when you get in one of those situations. The main service brakes seldom need to be applied in normal conditions except coming to a complete stop. For that reason, I will not always choose a gas rv.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:17 PM   #46

Not the only choice, but I like my choice. I have an older Ford chassis. So the engine and transmission are basically big pickup truck pieces that I'm familiar with to the point that I would be very comfortable rebuilding either or both. Now how to get them OUT of there is another question. But roadside fixes and such are much more possible and have already in fact happened. The fact that it uses the exact same starter as my daily driver pickup truck and other such stuff is very much a bonus as I'm something of a Ford parts hoarder.

I've never messed with "bus" type diesels so there would be a big learning curve. I do know that parts for those drivetrains aren't so common to be had at any local parts store like my Ford. I'm not as intimately familiar with GM or Dodge gassers but they definitely wouldn't be unknown territory either. So an oddly singular case here, I guess. For those who don't do their own work I can't see any this being a deciding factor at all.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:55 PM   #47

I bought a 2002 Coachmen with a ford F53 with a V10. Did the CHF and new front shocks and drove from Regina Saskatchewan to Mesa Arizona and never had a handling issue at all. Trucks passed me and I had no sway. Cross wind was the only issue and that was easily handled.

I never had to floor it to get up a large hill.

The handling issues are easily fixed with just doing the front CHF.
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:47 PM   #48

Well, another thread on gas vs. diesel.
Having owned both - summary:

Gas RVs are less expensive. Not just the powertrain but the end of the market that the RV manufacture is building for. Generally all of the components are upgraded on the diesel. And they charge for those upgrades.
The Diesel is quieter up front and louder in the rear. But, certainly there is someone up front while driving, and not necessarily in the rear.

The Diesel is typically larger overall and heavier.
The Diesel generally rides smoother (heavier, upgraded components like air suspension).
Diesel fuel is now more expensive than gas per gallon.
Diesels get 7 - 8.5 MPG seems no matter the HP or length. towing a Toad / trailer doesn't affect the mileage all that much.
Diesels generally can pull hills more effortlessly and tow higher capacities without straining.

Gas typically are both shorter overall and have more overhang which makes them more maneuverable in a parking lot or tight driveways. My 36 gas feels like a toy compared to the 43 DP.

If you are going to use the RV a lot (full timers, retired travelers, for work etc),, then the extra size of most DPs is a big plus.

More bragging rights to a DP, due to their increased cost. Means something to some folks.
Gas depreciate a bit faster I think.
DPs can last longer, due to their heavier general construction and definitely the power train.
DPs cost an arm and a leg more to repair if there is a powertrain problem. But major issues aren't very typical, except in forum posts.

Parts prices are higher for most DP components because they are generally higher line components from the start. Simple things like a fresh water pump relay. 10 amp (DP) vs. 7 amp and $50 compared to $35.

Tires are generally bigger on a DP, don't last any longer and are more expensive on a DP. If there is a tag axle, then two more tires to replace. But, more weight capability and better straight handling. Worse for parking lot turns.

Repair prices are way more overpriced for DPs. I think the service centers look at the rig and price to what they think the owner can pay.

The typically higher priced DP is going to have more toys in it than a Gas. And the more toys, the more things to break, and the more expert the technician needs to be and the higher the labor price.

If you buy a used DP and are a good DIY'r, thats the game for bang for the buck.

that's what comes to mind.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:20 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Well, another thread on gas vs. diesel.
Having owned both - summary:

Gas RVs are less expensive. Not just the powertrain but the end of the market that the RV manufacture is building for. Generally all of the components are upgraded on the diesel. And they charge for those upgrades.
The Diesel is quieter up front and louder in the rear. But, certainly there is someone up front while driving, and not necessarily in the rear.

The Diesel is typically larger overall and heavier.
The Diesel generally rides smoother (heavier, upgraded components like air suspension).
Diesel fuel is now more expensive than gas per gallon.
Diesels get 7 - 8.5 MPG seems no matter the HP or length. towing a Toad / trailer doesn't affect the mileage all that much.
Diesels generally can pull hills more effortlessly and tow higher capacities without straining.

Gas typically are both shorter overall and have more overhang which makes them more maneuverable in a parking lot or tight driveways. My 36 gas feels like a toy compared to the 43 DP.

If you are going to use the RV a lot (full timers, retired travelers, for work etc),, then the extra size of most DPs is a big plus.

More bragging rights to a DP, due to their increased cost. Means something to some folks.
Gas depreciate a bit faster I think.
DPs can last longer, due to their heavier general construction and definitely the power train.
DPs cost an arm and a leg more to repair if there is a powertrain problem. But major issues aren't very typical, except in forum posts.

Parts prices are higher for most DP components because they are generally higher line components from the start. Simple things like a fresh water pump relay. 10 amp (DP) vs. 7 amp and $50 compared to $35.

Tires are generally bigger on a DP, don't last any longer and are more expensive on a DP. If there is a tag axle, then two more tires to replace. But, more weight capability and better straight handling. Worse for parking lot turns.

Repair prices are way more overpriced for DPs. I think the service centers look at the rig and price to what they think the owner can pay.

The typically higher priced DP is going to have more toys in it than a Gas. And the more toys, the more things to break, and the more expert the technician needs to be and the higher the labor price.

If you buy a used DP and are a good DIY'r, thats the game for bang for the buck.

that's what comes to mind.

Thanks!
A very nice tribute to why the DP rules
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:31 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Thanks!
A very nice tribute to why the DP rules
If you can afford one, and want to spend the premium, then sure.
But it's a little apples and oranges IMO.
If you aren't using it much, then it's just more stuff to sit around. If you use it, then you are getting back some value and maybe the additional cost for the benefits are worth it.

Something twice the price sure should be a little better. Is it twice? nah. Still gets the family together for the nice trip. Either one. I think it's more important to be in good mechanical and cosmetic condition than how much the MSRP is.

When I got the 36 bounder gas, it was a nervous ride. Then all of the mechanical upgrades and fresh parts really made a difference. It became fun. The DP? That drove better than the gas on it's worse day.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:15 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Not the only choice, but I like my choice. I have an older Ford chassis. So the engine and transmission are basically big pickup truck pieces that I'm familiar with to the point that I would be very comfortable rebuilding either or both. Now how to get them OUT of there is another question. But roadside fixes and such are much more possible and have already in fact happened. The fact that it uses the exact same starter as my daily driver pickup truck and other such stuff is very much a bonus as I'm something of a Ford parts hoarder.

I've never messed with "bus" type diesels so there would be a big learning curve. I do know that parts for those drivetrains aren't so common to be had at any local parts store like my Ford. I'm not as intimately familiar with GM or Dodge gassers but they definitely wouldn't be unknown territory either. So an oddly singular case here, I guess. For those who don't do their own work I can't see any this being a deciding factor at all.
This is my reasoning as well! Hell Yea to the Gasers!!!
Old 10-25-2019, 07:24 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amikel0315 View Post
I have learned to LOVE our Gaser!

Reason why is that its super easy to work on like oil changes, sumo spring install, etc!

The ride with the upgrades is great! (might be because our family is young but not for sure)

The cost is not relevant because we bought new and rolled in a bunch of negative equity into our.

We switch out drivers every 200 miles so driver fatigue is not an issue even on the big 800 mile days which only happens a few times a year.

Yes there is road noise and you do hear the engine when accelerating but at this point in our life Gasers are PERFECT but I also was able to live a great life for under 1k a month total so maybe we are just in the early years of our RV adventuring!

I honestly think what is now making me think Gasers for life is the turn around on service if we have to put it in the shop. When we want to go somewhere we pretty much make it happen right then and there!
I don't say this to be a smart a, but if you rolled a "bunch" of negative equity into a new gasser, you better enjoy it for a long time. Hopefully you have a short term loan and not a long term one.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:58 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
I don't say this to be a smart a, but if you rolled a "bunch" of negative equity into a new gasser, you better enjoy it for a long time. Hopefully you have a short term loan and not a long term one.
So before we bought this camper I had a travel trailer that I also rented out. During that time I bought a new Harley as well. After a Year of renting it out and it turning into sustainable income and the Harley sitting in the garage more then riding it (3k the first year of ownership. I got my hands in to many pots so not enough time to ride) we as a family decided to dive into the rental company full go. That lead to our Thor Hurricane and will be paid for in a few short years which will then be time to decide to....trade in the paid for gas class a or continue to rent this one put down a small down payment on a new/used gas or DP and keep our payments where they are at.

At the rate we are going on this Gaser I bought it new June of 2018 with 1k miles on it. It now has 47k as it sits right now before it went out on a rental this past Tuesday so the miles are racking up QUICK!!

I created this post to try to get the opinions of the die hard gaser folks because Im a diesel guy and have dreamed of a DP from being a young tike!

We absolutely love our gaser but there is more in the game now with this continuing to be a source of income for the family. We will always rent the unit or units we have because its easy money (Yes we are covered when it comes to insurance for the negative nancys out there)
Old 10-25-2019, 08:08 AM   #54

Also, engine noise doesnt bother me. You really only here it when you're accelerating but at cruise speed the road noise or engine noise is nothing to be concerned about.

Call me crazy but sometimes I think DP families are a little to classy in their way of travel because they want a super quiet ride. Im a gear head. I like to hear the rig working lol

ALL IMHO of course! lol
Old 10-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
We had a very upside-down loan at first as well, but there was a method behind the madness.

To draw the cash out of my IRA would have put me well into the 25% bracket, and I hate paying taxes. Instead I financed and planned to draw as much as I could every December while still staying in the 15% bracket. Then, we got the tax cut so now I'm drawing as much as I can every December and staying in the 12% bracket. At the rate we're going it'll be paid off in a couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amikel0315 View Post
Also, engine noise doesnt bother me. You really only here it when you're accelerating but at cruise speed the road noise or engine noise is nothing to be concerned about.

Call me crazy but sometimes I think DP families are a little to classy in their way of travel because they want a super quiet ride. Im a gear head. I like to hear the rig working lol

ALL IMHO of course! lol
You said that well. I feel the same way about many areas of my life. I'm a motorcyclist as well, but I ride a $13,000 sport tourer instead of a $30,000 high-zoot touring machine. My pickup is 16 years old; I could have new one, but this one serves me well.

I'm the same way about the RV. For the 100 or so nights a year we actually stay in it and the 6000 or so miles we drive it, this one serves us well.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:50 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
If you can afford one, and want to spend the premium, then sure.
But it's a little apples and oranges IMO.
If you aren't using it much, then it's just more stuff to sit around. If you use it, then you are getting back some value and maybe the additional cost for the benefits are worth it.

Something twice the price sure should be a little better. Is it twice? nah. Still gets the family together for the nice trip. Either one. I think it's more important to be in good mechanical and cosmetic condition than how much the MSRP is.

When I got the 36 bounder gas, it was a nervous ride. Then all of the mechanical upgrades and fresh parts really made a difference. It became fun. The DP? That drove better than the gas on it's worse day.

I’ll repeat:
I bought my DP 5 years old for less than a NEW gasser.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, gas