Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2019, 12:08 PM   #1

Why always choose a Class A Gasser

When debating on DP or Gaser there is millions of threads that show you the pros and cons and mainly pros towards DP's.

My question is simple. Why would you always choose a Class A Gaser over a diesel pusher?

I have a gaser and I'm looking to upgrade but with adding sumo springs, steering stabilizer and the CHF, soon to add roadmaster front and rear sway bars, the drive of our Class A Gaser is enjoyable for the most part for me and passengers.
Length of trips:
2-8 days

Typical trips for our family:
Disney: 420mi
Gatlinburg: 525mi
Texas: 400-800mi
South FL:350mi-800mi
Anywhere:Within 300mi

Typical towing for us:
Golf Cart
Can Am Defender Max
Tandem Axle Motorcycle Trailer with 2 bikes
Ford Escape on a car hauler
Amikel0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2019, 12:32 PM   #2

I wouldn't?
Old 10-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #3

Like a lot of things... it depends.

For us, I can't see going the extra money for a coach that is 32 feet. The extra cost for this size rig to go to a DP is kind of foolish for OUR use. We use our rig much like the OP and our ONLY complaint is the F-53 chassis should have had better handling from the start without adding another $2500 worth of suspension items to make it stay in it's lane on the freeway.
ClassAboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #4

There is nothing wrong with gas motorhomes. If you plan on doing lots of traveling, the difference becomes apparent really quickly. The difference in driving comfort and noise levels is considerably different. The ability to tow much more is another main difference. As far as camping in them, once set up, there is virtually no difference. I notice all your trips are around 4-500 miles. If your trips were 4-5000 miles, you probably would benefit from the differences that a DP provides. I owned a 37 gas rv for five years. I had great trips in it, and enjoyed owning it. Now that I have more time to travel, and take longer trips, Im glad I got the pusher. Once done long distance traveling, I might consider another gas rv. Diesels cost more to own, so if not doing much traveling, I might consider going back to a gasser or even a fifth wheel trailer.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:03 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
It’s all about what you want.. I’ve worked on my diesel trucks close to 30 years .. a diesel needs to be driven a lot they don’t like setting .. I work on mine all the time ... tinker with it an enjoy doing most of it .. Gas rigs are nice might be just what you need .. Buy what you want and make it yours !!
Old 10-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amikel0315 View Post
My question is simple. Why would you always choose a Class A Gaser over a diesel pusher?
Simple question, simple answer...Your Budget.

DP's are not for the faint of heart when stuff breaks. One of our friends—who are also FTers—just last week had to replace the rear axle and all new air bags. Their coach is a 2015 Thor. Their cost was a little over 5K. And they had an extended warranty that they paid 8K for. We love them and they have a lot more money than we do.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassAboater View Post
Like a lot of things... it depends.

For us, I can't see going the extra money for a coach that is 32 feet. The extra cost for this size rig to go to a DP is kind of foolish for OUR use. We use our rig much like the OP and our ONLY complaint is the F-53 chassis should have had better handling from the start without adding another $2500 worth of suspension items to make it stay in it's lane on the freeway.
We have a stock F53 chassis and it drives just fine the way it came. My thought is that the handling problems are created by the coach builders and owners, not Ford. 1) The wheelbase should be at least 56% of the overall length. 2) The GAWR's need to be adhered to. 3) Weight should be as far forward in the coach as you can get it without overloading the front axle.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:54 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
i wanted a dp but my wife only wanted the 38T floor plan so i found one with a w 24 chassis option 3 it comes with the 8.1 chevy v8 Quadrahaulic brake system (same as the w25.5) the allison 2100 series 6 speed trans. 5.86 gearing in dana s130 axle aluminum 22.5 wheels and a 30000 gcwr. then we added a full banks power system a safe T steering stabilizer and extra leafs in the leaf springs.

we full time and this set up is pretty good. we did need to do a custom dual anti sway weight dis hitch for the trailer 8.5 x 20 enclosed car hauler.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #9

I think it boils down to three main reasons.

1. You want a coach shorter than the smallest DP.
2. Budget, both purchase and ongoing maintenance would stress finances.
3. Comfort level, "I've been around gas for 40 years and don't want to learn diesel, air brakes, and all rest."

Yes, if you do your own maintenance and repairs, you can lower the cost. However, if you're going to DIY a DP, you'd do the same on gasser reducing its costs as well, so I consider this a wash.

When we retire, we're planning on an all-electric DP.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
I think it boils down to three main reasons.

1. You want a coach shorter than the smallest DP.
2. Budget, both purchase and ongoing maintenance would stress finances.
3. Comfort level, "I've been around gas for 40 years and don't want to learn diesel, air brakes, and all rest."

Yes, if you do your own maintenance and repairs, you can lower the cost. However, if you're going to DIY a DP, you'd do the same on gasser reducing its costs as well, so I consider this a wash.

When we retire, we're planning on an all-electric DP.
your reason 1 makes no since dp start at 31.5 ft (tiffen breeze) gas go up to 40 ft (mine is 39 ft).
Old 10-23-2019, 02:51 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Of course I love diesels it’s what I know ; I couldn’t make it without the diesel powered generator, I bought this rv it had a lp 6500 gen . I removed and installed a qd 7500 .. it’s running if we’re rolling or stopped.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:59 PM   #12

Assuming that 4-500 miles with a gas A is a cake walk is absurd. That’s a long day of getting roughed up.

My 43 ft DP was 5 years old when I bought it. My price was less than a new 34 ft gas A.

Advice: don’t test drive a DP with 10 air bags and 10 shocks.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:39 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Give me a DP with a drivers side door and a rear bedroom window and I am in.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:04 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
For me, three items:

1) initial cost and maintenance is significantly cheaper with the Gasser.

2) I know the F53 and am comfortable working on it. I don't know anything about DPs.

3) When its sitting in the parking spot, all hooked up with power and water, there is no difference between a gasser and a DP.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, gas