Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2016, 01:11 PM   #29
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Here ya go, dust the cobwebs off that wallet and talk to Mr. Newmar about this one. Power lift TV AND, A Fireplace. What more can you ask?

Dutch Star floor plan options | Newmar

But you can't see the TV from the chairs!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2016, 01:14 PM   #30
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The designers are sitting back, laughing among themselves, saying "See, I told you they would buy them! "
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:14 PM   #31

Well, designers might not be "criminally insane," but they should have to live in every RV they design for at least a week so they can go back to the drawing board.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:29 PM   #32
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Here ya go, dust the cobwebs off that wallet and talk to Mr. Newmar about this one. Power lift TV AND, A Fireplace. What more can you ask?

Dutch Star floor plan options | Newmar
Just could not resist responding. Using the Newmar link above, check out the 3726, 4311, 4313, and 4381 floorplans.

Everyone of those has a major flaw in the bedroom. Take a look at where the step is on the aft side (towards the rear of the coach) of the bed. If you have ever been in one of those, you might remember. To get in the far side of the bed you have to go up one, or two, steps, then drop down onto the bed which is only about 8-10" above the floor level on that side.

The other floorplans listed there move the beds (both Queen and King) more forward, and away from the step. The plans I listed make the user feel like he/she is climbing into bed that is just a mattress lying on the floor. That may be fine for 2-10 year olds, but not for us grown-ups!

We have only been in one of the new Newmars, so feel free to correct me if I have this wrong.

Personally we are looking for a class A with a King bed, 1.5 bath, with the master bath across the back of the coach, and a few more things. We have learned to quickly rule out floor plans with some of these "insanely designed" plans. We are not in a rush, and are not interested in the salesman's glowing opinion of the glitter and shine. TV's at every angle but straight ahead are just nuts.

Just had to get that out there!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:53 PM   #33

95 bounder

My Bounder 35U has a forward facing couch that faces the TV above the cockpit. Only model coach we ever saw this was.
Dadsrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #34

Arrow

agreed... coach manufacturers should only be those who full time in one of their 'homes' - they would probably then have a newer perspective on how to best 'layout' a floorplan design - at least a good one.
Admittedly, though, they need more than one design to provide options in the marketplace. Some of us are more into tv than others, some put less into the outside patio area usage, and some want as much usable space within the coach as possible.
I agree that opposing slides provide the 'most' room, so why not TWO full wall slides? That's one I personally haven't seen yet. It's probably coming.
Personally, I love our main TV location right over the booth and across from the couch. I love our main slide on the driver side leaving the patio side with plenty of room for cover and viewing the outside tv. And I love that most everything in the coach is usable and accessible with the slides closed, with the exception of one door/drawer on one side of the bed.
I haven't seen too many other floorplans with this layout and this accessible not matter what the price range. [though those two full wall opposing slides I'd like to try!]
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Many buy the coach for price, lowest price wins. Not too worry, most of them only go camping once or twice a year for a couple weeks. Then it sits. Makes sense not to spend an awful lot of money.

The full or more timers are more cognizant of floor plan than one (or two) timers. The floor plan affects them more than those who use the coach less.

So the designers are fundamentally there to get the most stuff they can into a given space with fixed points like doors, engine, etc. Who buys a coach to sit and watch TV? Are you not supposed to be out enjoying the perks of nature? So it rains once in a while. Turning your head to watch TV could be considered exercise!

I agree there could be better designs. But IMO if you put 12 owners together to do a design you would likely have about 30 different designs. Most folks will agree on one or two points and the rest of the ideas will be a dog's breakfast.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:19 PM   #36

None are perfect! The opposing slides are great when you're inside with a couple of big dogs spread out on the floor. I've learned to avoid the slide that extends into the patio side. I guess if it really bothers you, don't extend that slide! We have a canopy that we set up over picnic tables since dog beds are usually under the awning.

Our coach is a shorty (only 35') and has the fridge opposite the couch but we do have those TVs at either end of the living area. The larger one is midship and that's the one we're usually watching. Hubs is laying on the couch and I'm perched on the bench at the dinette most of the time but my computer is on the table so I'm surfing while watching TV. It's nearly impossible to SIT on the couch and watch either and be comfortable but unless the TV is mounted to the fridge that's what we get.

You learn to adapt! If you don't want the slide extending into the patio area, don't get one that has opposing slides. If you don't want to deal with steps to the bedroom, don't get one with steps. If getting to the bathroom & bedroom is important while the slides are in, then get one that allows you to do that.

I'm in awe that these big boxes have the amenities that they have squashed into something that can motor down the highway!

P.S. I typed S.L.O.W.L.Y. LOL! Great thread, btw.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:24 PM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why are Class A motorhomes designed by the criminally insane?

Because they work for less money?
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:43 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would like to add that most RV companies only design diesel Class A coaches in lengths 38' and over. I know most full timers want the added space and length but there are many of us (RV enthusiasts who are not full timers) who do not want an extremely big coach. We have a 34' Class A (really measures 35' bumper to bumper) and I don't want to go any larger. I also do not want a gasoline MH that would burn almost 2 gallons of gas just on a round trip to/from home to fill it up. If we were to try to purchase a new MH similar to our current Holiday Rambler I think there would only be two choices - Newmar Ventana and the Tiffin Breeze and maybe one floorplan for the Tiffin Allegro RED. If you go to find actual units to view, almost nobody has one and I have had dealers tell me that this size MH sells very quickly and are not in inventory very long. I recently retired so we have taken trips as long as a month now and have plans to do longer trips in the future.

---- Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:43 PM   #39

Show me a motorhome with a coat closet next to the entrance door and a bathroom near that same door and then I would consider a MH. Added features would be a real desk with a real computer chair and room for a large dog cage. Finally, if the price is under $75k and it gets 12 mpg then it would just match my present setup. In the meantime I'll have to stick with what I've got.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:51 PM   #40

Quote:
Fireplace, who doesn’t want a fireplace, if you don’t want one at least don’t admit it here on the forum. All of us want a fireplace it’s un-American not to have one!
I absolutely hate the fake fireplace, the entire concept is cheesy and I special ordered a coach just so it wouldn't have one. I'm good with an electric heater, but the fake light show and fake "atmosphere" .. no thanks ..
bkervaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:12 PM   #41

While we're listing our favorite dumb design features, let me add the upper kitchen cabinets that are so deep and low to the countertop that the counter is nearly useless. I can't even fit a coffee pot under mine. The kitchen sink on an angle above an extra-deep cabinet that would hold a dog crate is also on my list of remodeling tasks. There's room for a water heater in there, but that's not where it is... Etc, etc, etc.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor
Old 04-15-2016, 05:37 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I fail to see the criminal part of the observation.
Me too, even though it is redundant...I like "Deranged Lunatic"

What bugs me is the sofa and dinette right next to each other on the same side.......have some guests and pass out some Advil right away because you will all have a crick in the neck trying to talk to each other.

Tags
class a, motorhome, motorhomes