Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #71

This has turned into such a great thread, you guys are fantastic! I thought for sure I'd get some snarky comments. Instead we have great comments with some fun thrown in making it even better!

You guys are the best. Or is it you've just banged your head on too many slides?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 09:13 AM   #72

Monaco Owners Club
On our old TT I could never, ever understand why the lower bay door flipped up! Then they had these cheesey clips to hold it in the up position. Well guess what we had to replace 50000 times!!! Another thing that sorta bugs me about our MH - our bath is split so you walk through the shower/sink area and the toilet/sink is in a separate room. Why isn't the shower opaque? The see-through shower out in the open? wierd. When it's jus the two of us it's no issue, but when our kids are along you have to remember to use the pocket door for privacy!

Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #73

I think the vast majority of problems with the floor plan designs is that they are designed by people that have never used an RV before. When we visited the Entegra factory for the first time about five years ago my daughter, who was then 14 years old picked out some problems with the design. Gee if a 14 year old can pick out problems then you would think a trained engineer or designer could also.

I do think it's funny how some will say that a particular feature is dumb while someone else will say they love that feature. I guess that's why there is such a variety.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #74

Some EXCELLENT observations in this thread!

IF I would be looking to buy a NEW rig (like new out of factory), I would be in deep doo-doo. It's simply impossible to find one that is "just right", without spending tons of money. Since I don't finance ANYTHING, my options are even more limited (I simply don't have 1+Mil sitting around doing nothing).

In "criminally insane" people's defense,.....we all use our coaches differently. VERY few designs (floor plans) work for multitude of potential buyers. Coaches NEED to be customized for individual needs/likes/dislikes. With that in mind, I went on the prowl to find the one that meets MOST of my wants, and offers me the possibility of modifying it to suit my needs.

I can't tell you how many coaches we dismissed because of the "mauve upholstery with flowery patterns"! Horrible. Who ever came up with that, was an old hippy grandma, with nostalgia for her "flower generation" times, and possibly had too much to smoke.

So this is how I went about it.

I purchased older, high end coach for peanuts. She was (is) in EXCELLENT condition (as new), garaged all it's life, with all books/records. It had old tube TVs. In the wrong places of course. Solution? Easy. New TVs (LCDs) in the RIGHT places (VERY cheap mod). Every coach I looked at, I automatically calculated the cash needed to modify it to suit me, and added this on the top of the cash I was willing to dish out for it. I even considered reupholstering the furniture, tearing out the dinette booth (I prefer self standing chairs that I can fold, and drop in the basement on the move). Stuff like that. I was also looking for a BIG shower (got it), and a "real" commode (those plastic Thetfords give me creeps). Everything else is easy, if one likes to "tinker", has the tools, and needs something to do all the time (OCD).

TVs are really easy to solve. There are custom cabinets made, that can hide motorized LCD which will come out on demand. There are roof mounted consoles, that will drop TV in the position at a push of a button. Mounts that swivel are additional option, and that wrongly positioned TV can point in ANY direction desirable. Sound systems are also cheap (when I say "cheap" I want you to think in terms of total money needed to buy a brand new Newel/Prevost, and buying one like that slightly used). The difference in price WILL replace just about ANYTHING in that coach you might not like.

There are couple of Prevosts on the RV Trader right now, and if I didn't buy my coach just three months ago, I'd be all over them. As it is, I have to wait a little, if I want the "pax in domus".

Yes we are all different. Perfect example is that I don't like/want slides. I know most of you do. Give me an old diesel bus that I can modify to my liking, and I am a "happy camper" (which I am NOT! I hate camping, but I LOVE touring around the country in my coach).

Basically, it's the "elimination process". You write down your "wants", "likes", "dislikes", and consider the FINAL cost after modifications. After that is just finding the one that fits.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:07 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Who was the idiot that decided we all needed carpet, much less beige carpet? I think 90% of MH owners have at least 1 dog (the other 10% want them).
That's interesting, because WAAAAAY more than 10% of used RVs for sale say "no pets."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer bird View Post
Another thing that sorta bugs me about our MH - our bath is split so you walk through the shower/sink area and the toilet/sink is in a separate room. Why isn't the shower opaque? The see-through shower out in the open? wierd. When it's jus the two of us it's no issue, but when our kids are along you have to remember to use the pocket door for privacy!
So do you get dressed and undressed INSIDE the shower, too? That's the only way an opaque shower door is going to solve this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
and unique to Rexhall also, you can stand up straight inside the slideout.
The big slide on my Alfa has 6 feet of clearance, so most people can stand up straight inside it. AND they didn't put cabinets in the slide, so the windows go all the way up and you have windows at eye level when standing, which makes it seem vastly more open.

Alfa quality was suspect, but the livability is great.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:11 AM   #76

Add to the list couches so low that arthritic knees do not bend that far! In part that is why we like the couch in the slide so we get a bit more height.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:36 AM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post

I think 90% of MH owners have at least 1 dog (the other 10% want one).

Not me. Not sure where you got that "statistic", but you're wrong.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Mike and Cha
Here's a fake fireplace that "looks like" a real fire for only $14.99: https://www.vat19.com/item/ambf

Add that and a 1500 watt electric space heater in any coach and you will get everything a $200+ fake fireplace can provide for less than $35.

(BTW if you want the added ambiance of a crackling fire you can simply turn up the volume).

Mel
'96 Safari
Oh Ok, I just like it all mounted in one place, where it looks like it belongs...I'm happy with what I have and like anything else we all have different tastes and spend our money accordingly. You can't watch the fire and a TV program at the same time with your method. Either way you still get what you pay for. Not having something blocking my space and much safer than something that can and has caused fires....priceless.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #79

I thought all of the newer coaches had heat producing fireplaces. It's my understanding you can run them with or without heat? I'd not want one without the other!
Old 04-16-2016, 11:55 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
This has turned into such a great thread, you guys are fantastic! I thought for sure I'd get some snarky comments. Instead we have great comments with some fun thrown in making it even better!

You guys are the best. Or is it you've just banged your head on too many slides?
I have done that my share of times, my wife wants me to buy a Helmut...haha
Old 04-16-2016, 11:55 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I thought all of the newer coaches had heat producing fireplaces. It's my understanding you can run them with or without heat? I'd not want one without the other!
They can do both
Old 04-16-2016, 12:14 PM   #82

We didn't know it at the time, but we got lucky when we ordered our 2013 43'Bus. I had never driven a tag diesel till I took delivery. I say lucky because it drives like a dream and we only had to change one thing inside. The Villa couch/bed was so uncomfortable to sit on that neither of us would use it. Like all couches in motor homes the back was too short to lean back and rest my head. I replaced it with a residential double recliner w/console for under $800. Now we fall asleep watching most movies that are on the tv across the room above the fireplace. I deleted the overhead tv when ordered. Lucky again that in the following year Tiffin eliminated the Driftwood interior color which was the only color my wife liked and in 2015 dropped the 43' model in lieu of the 45' that still does not have a pantry. After looking at dozens of other models, we wouldn't change a thing on our coach.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:14 PM   #83

Sane design

For all the reasons stated is why we bought our Tiffin 36LA. going on 3 years of ownership and see no reason to change. Got it right the first time.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:25 PM   #84

Dezolen, does your coach have one or two black tanks to empty?

Tags
class a, motorhome, motorhomes