Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2016, 01:49 AM   #99
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
Well, they don't make the Alfa any more, so Rexhall might be the only current model with the tall slide.

But this got me thinking about RVs being designed by insane people, as suggested by the thread title, or not being designed by RVers, as some have complained.

Johnnie Crean, who founded Alfa, is the son of the man who founded Fleetwood, so Alfas were designed by an RVer. And some of the things he did were having an extra-high ceiling, extra-tall slide, big windows, no slide room encroaching onto the patio. The TV is over the windshield, but putting it anywhere else would mean it either blocks a window or isn't viewable with the slide in. And given the slide troubles on early models, livability with the slide in was kind of important.

So there's one model that was designed by an RVer, and as it happens, he's might be insane, too. Or, well, undoubtedly kooky, and arguably crazy. But he knew how to make a livable interior.

Go in an Alfa sometime. Pull up all the blinds and get a load of those windows and realize you can look outside while still standing. And then, if it's hot and sunny, immediately put the blinds back down because the sun on those windows is going to bake that motorhome.

Very interesting! I'll check one out if I get a chance sometime. About the big windows......actually some out there are catching on. I have one living room window in our 2014 Ellipse that goes clear to the slide ceiling from chair rail. I can stand and pretty much look straight outside that window. It's the biggest window in the coach, pretty nice. They must have been researching those Alpha windows somewhere along the line.

Best regards,
W.D.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2016, 02:03 AM   #100

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
I think it is Foretravel that has a bottom-hinged emergency egress door in the rear. It folds out like an airplane door.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor

Bad memory. It is American Coach.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1460963014.443358.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	124469

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor

slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:46 AM   #101

As a future RV'r I'm looking at all these comments carefully. Having spent 8 months on our boat we found watching TV enjoyable especially in the early mornings. So when I see most of these pre '08 DP's with the living rm TV at right angles to the couch (between the driver and pax seats) you have to wonder why they couldn't come up with something better. With the advent of flat screens and sometimes lift mechanisms that problem has been solved. Joe did a great job of fixing that problem in his older DP: The head-banger is finally GONE!

I like the idea of a dinette. Storage space beneath and a small bed to boot. I think the later models are going to a table and chairs configuration. Maybe because it looks better but then where are you going to put the grand kids and their parents?

I hadn't thought about the space a slide takes up under the awning. The awnings seem pretty big, does that 3-4 ft slide really take up that much space?

A fireplace really does seem fake, at least the one's I've seen. But if it does add heat and kinda gives some atmosphere, why not. Hey we're all fake camping in a coach anyway!
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:52 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
Bad memory. It is American Coach.

Attachment 124469

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor

The idea of an emergency exit door was long overdue. Newmar has also added the door on their rear bath models. The difference between the American Coach model and Newmars is that Newmars is reusable which allows for fire drill practice if desired.

Most of us who have motor homes are not in our 30's anymore so the idea of trying to crawl out a window and then drop 8 feet to the ground is not a
something that many of us would survive without injury. I'm not sure why it has taken so long for someone to come up with the emergency exit door but that is one change that I was glad to see come about. Now I'd like to see more manufacturers latch onto that innovation.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:59 AM   #103

How prevalent is a fire in a motorhome and where does it typically start if there is a "typically"?
Old 04-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
How prevalent is a fire in a motorhome and where does it typically start if there is a "typically"?
We'll see posts on here every so often about fires in motorhomes. Quite often they start in the engine compartment, but the second most common would probably be electrical.

The idea of the emergency exit door is similar to why we carry insurance. We hope we never need it, but if we do need it, then we know we've got it. We travel quite often with my wife's parents or our grandkids. I would hate to think that my (or the manufacturers) lack of foresight would cause someone to be injured or lose their life so the emergency exit door is a huge item.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:47 AM   #105

We are now to the dreaded number 10

We have all well established the "Insane" part of this thread. Now however is where we clearly establish the "Criminally" portion of it!

You have all guessed it by now, It's the kitchen sink right? We all know the expression "Everything but the kitchen sink" and the Criminally Insane take this seriously. They give you "Everything except the kitchen sink"!

You don't have enough counter space to sit down a teacup but that is not enough for these people. They give you this sink with two sides, neither of which can hold a serving plate but hold on. You know and I know they could give you one large sink that you could actually use, but do they? Noooooooooo, they don't do that!

It's diabolical how they make the sink so shallow that most of the water intended for the sink splashes all over the coach. But they don't just stop there do they, of course not, that would be too reasonable? They give you this faucet that sits 4 inches above the sink. If you don't break your hand trying to put something in the sink you hit it trying to put something into the sink.

Oh but no worries, it has a sprayer thingy you can pull from the bottom of the faucet. Never mind that you chip or break whatever you have under it trying to get the stupid thing off. Then the hose that attaches the sprayer to the faucet isn't flexible worth a dingle so what happens? You know what happens! You spray water all over the place and end up sponsoring a "wet teashirt contest"!

That ladies and gentlemen is "Criminal"!
Old 04-18-2016, 10:07 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I hadn't thought about the space a slide takes up under the awning. The awnings seem pretty big, does that 3-4 ft slide really take up that much space?
You'd be surprised. When calculating space, remember that people generally don't want to want to sit in a row right up against the wall. And there's the psychological aspect of having something hovering into the space, instead of a flat wall.

I almost never sit under the awning (I'm one of those fulltimers who stay inside and make everyone wonder why I even bother going camping), but the issue for me with a patio slide is access to the compartments. I have to go under the slide on the driver's side and it's a PITA. Fortunately, the major storage action is on my patio side, and unimpeded.

Quote:
People buy lottery tickets so discussing probabilities generally doesn't go very far. I'm more concerned with the 100% probability that I'm going to have to be living in this thing on a day-to-day basis, and the higher probability that this thing will be in a wreck than catch on fire.

I dug up a couple of photos of the windows in my living room.

Here are the ones in the slide (which has 6 feet of head clearance); there's another window in the end of the slide you can't see:

Actually, this photo shows something else smart: that mirrored thing is a pantry, which is inaccessible with the slide in. You can barely make out the two small doors in the side, so you can get in it with the slide closed. You have to reach pretty far to get to some things in there, but it's waaaay better than not having access at all, and I use them all the time.

There's also a storage compartment behind the couch. A few owners have put those rising TVs in there--it's like it's tailor made for that. I've considered it, but I don't want to block the window, and I like to watch TV while lying on the couch.

But back to windows--these are on the opposite side, right behind the passenger seat:

Now, if only they'd given me an extra foot of kitchen counter space, I'd be golden. It's always something.

Oh, wait, there's a post about the kitchen sink. Mine has two sides and is plenty deep. The only thing it won't hold is my 9x13 glass dish, but I can wash it at an angle and in all other respects I like having two sides.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #107
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Another common starting point, of late, is the RV fridge.

Statistically fires may be rare, but it seems once an RV fire gets started it goes fast, real fast. You want an accessible and fast method to get your not so fire proof skin out.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
You'd be surprised. When calculating space, remember that people generally don't want to want to sit in a row right up against the wall. And there's the psychological aspect of having something hovering into the space, instead of a flat wall.

I almost never sit under the awning (I'm one of those fulltimers who stay inside and make everyone wonder why I even bother going camping), but the issue for me with a patio slide is access to the compartments. I have to go under the slide on the driver's side and it's a PITA. Fortunately, the major storage action is on my patio side, and unimpeded.
That I guess, like in life, is the compromise. More slides = more room inside but limits outdoor space under the awning. I definitely see the access issue to basement storage with the slides out. With slides impeding access I would have to develop a routine that I would remove basement items before extending the slides.

Perhaps an outdoor TV would encourage you to sit outside. But I see nothing wrong with your approach.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #109

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

We have all well established the "Insane" part of this thread. Now however is where we clearly establish the "Criminally" portion of it!

You have all guessed it by now, It's the kitchen sink right? We all know the expression "Everything but the kitchen sink" and the Criminally Insane take this seriously. They give you "Everything except the kitchen sink"!

You don't have enough counter space to sit down a teacup but that is not enough for these people. They give you this sink with two sides, neither of which can hold a serving plate but hold on. You know and I know they could give you one large sink that you could actually use, but do they? Noooooooooo, they don't do that!

It's diabolical how they make the sink so shallow that most of the water intended for the sink splashes all over the coach. But they don't just stop there do they, of course not, that would be too reasonable? They give you this faucet that sits 4 inches above the sink. If you don't break your hand trying to put something in the sink you hit it trying to put something into the sink.

Oh but no worries, it has a sprayer thingy you can pull from the bottom of the faucet. Never mind that you chip or break whatever you have under it trying to get the stupid thing off. Then the hose that attaches the sprayer to the faucet isn't flexible worth a dingle so what happens? You know what happens! You spray water all over the place and end up sponsoring a "wet teashirt contest"!

That ladies and gentlemen is "Criminal"!
Hmmm - you must be referring to one of those Euro postage stamp coaches. Ours actually has usable counter tops and sink. One of the prerequisites on our must have list.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #110

Quote:

WyoFree you make some very good points and I've enjoyed reading the comical aspects of your post.

Having lived some time on our boat I can relate to many of these issues. The fridge is never large enough, nor is the sink. Counter space is big enough to prepare a meal for a bird, and in the shower I'm constantly bumping my elbows while trying not to use too much water.

But that's the price you pay for this lifestyle. Because of our small fridge we've had some beautiful walks and bike rides to the nearest grocery store we otherwise would not have done. For some reason food on the boat always tastes better and the dishes still get done in the small sink without a dishwasher.

Now some day I'll be doing the dishes in the way too small sink looking out at the Grand Tetons or the Pacific ocean. Can't wait!
Old 04-18-2016, 11:33 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Hmmm - you must be referring to one of those Euro postage stamp coaches. Ours actually has usable counter tops and sink. One of the prerequisites on our must have list.
X2....our sink is a really good size and depth, with two sides. Our countertop is more than enough for us and if we want more countertop space, we can put the sink tops over the sinks, which make a nice flush huge countertop. We rarely do that as we don't really need the extra space.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:24 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
That I guess, like in life, is the compromise. More slides = more room inside but limits outdoor space under the awning. I definitely see the access issue to basement storage with the slides out. With slides impeding access I would have to develop a routine that I would remove basement items before extending the slides.

Perhaps an outdoor TV would encourage you to sit outside. But I see nothing wrong with your approach.
Doubtful. This coach came with an outside TV, but it's not there now. Shoot--I even close the windows when I watch TV inside because I don't want other people to have to listen to it.

As for accessing the basement storage, we don't ever leave anything out, so we're in and out of those compartments all the time getting bikes, tools, sporting equipment, tools, more tools.

Tags
class a, motorhome, motorhomes