Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2016, 08:06 PM   #57

Why are Class A motorhomes designed by the criminally insane?

We're lucky and happy!
Shopping worked for us and our rigs with slides didn't prevent access to anything. Always look at em with slides in AND out.
TV? In the perfect place.
2 couches? Naw. Couch across from 2 recliners that easily pivot into "stadium seating" position for a good HD flick in surround sound. And seating for 9!
Fireplace? Nada. Bought this rig for a song I didn't even know the words to, and my space heater is mobile!
Beyond that, what we ain't got, we don't need!
Happy trails

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2016, 08:21 PM   #58

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
agreed... coach manufacturers should only be those who full time in one of their 'homes' - they would probably then have a newer perspective on how to best 'layout' a floorplan design - at least a good one.
Admittedly, though, they need more than one design to provide options in the marketplace. Some of us are more into tv than others, some put less into the outside patio area usage, and some want as much usable space within the coach as possible.
I agree that opposing slides provide the 'most' room, so why not TWO full wall slides? That's one I personally haven't seen yet. It's probably coming.
Personally, I love our main TV location right over the booth and across from the couch. I love our main slide on the driver side leaving the patio side with plenty of room for cover and viewing the outside tv. And I love that most everything in the coach is usable and accessible with the slides closed, with the exception of one door/drawer on one side of the bed.
I haven't seen too many other floorplans with this layout and this accessible not matter what the price range. [though those two full wall opposing slides I'd like to try!]

I have often said the first coach to come out with 2 super slides will sell them out in minutes.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:26 PM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Refer to post #50.
For a while, that's as close as we'll get to "industry wide" use of the design, or similar design, due to the exclusive patent owned by Rexhall.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:28 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranemec View Post
I have often said the first coach to come out with 2 super slides will sell them out in minutes.

Mine has two full length super slides on driver's side, small slide in rear on passenger side in the rear, no slide under passenger side awning. Tv is in the middle angled facing two couches, front tv is for dinette or kitchen viewing. TV in bedroom is at foot of the bed. Outside tv under awning. All Samsung HD tv's.

Two drop down DVD players in each bunk with wireless headphones.

No neck straining.

Also TONS of counter space, the toilet is not up on a pedestal , etc.

Guess we lucked out.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:34 PM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Yeah Alpha99 you have a nice layout there. Well designed.

Mr T was speaking of the concept of opposing full wall slides.

W.D.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:03 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Clammy? Don't Sweat It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Let me start this by saying there may not be anyone on this forum who knows less than I do about a motorhome. So if you DO NOT want to read something with no value or substance please Do NOT continue reading!

The last letter from my mom said “I know you can’t read very fast so I’m writing this very slow”! If that doesn’t stop you from reading you’re on your own!

FLOORPLAN
1. You walk into a motorhome where you see a couch on both sides of the floorplan. So far so good!
2. The motorhome industry has a direct connection to chiropractic services. Who the heck wants to lay down to watch their TV?
3. Fireplace...
4. ...who the heck needs six to seven feet of hall space in our motorhome?
5. Awning...
6. I have more "pearls" of wisdom...
Haw... Hey, we all love a fresh perspective!! Never be shy about saying that the emperor, while maybe not nekkid, is wearing a ridiculous thong

The TV thing is indeed ridiculous. And, even dangerous in the past: those 80 lb TVs could jump their plywood chocks in minor mishaps and sometimes kill or maim those unfortunate enough to be sitting beneath. And, many of us have become accustomed to changing seats so that our left-face for the first half of the movie becomes a right-face. A few MH makers have gotten the hint and put TVs directly in front of seating; but, the practice is far from universal.

Adding a fireplace is clearly pandering, we get it. But, the Amish were very persuasive, and manufacturers ordered those useless flickering emblems of nostalgia. At least we don't have to take out ashes.

The hallways stem from having bathrooms that offer some measure of privacy. A small price to pay for not having the mother-in-law see me sitting on the toilet.

You're right about the slideouts and awnings; but, we'd all prefer two extra feet of interior width to having a broader patio. Besides, nothing entertains guests more than seeing a tipsy host/hostess collide with a slideout.

Share 'dem pearls. We love the observations!
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:24 PM   #63

62 posts already .

The ...... who decided that , black and chocolate brown are the ideal colors for all coaches .
What about the heat absorbed, by the dark colors ?
There solution , add a third air conditioner .
Old 04-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
You're right about the slideouts and awnings; but, we'd all prefer two extra feet of interior width to having a broader patio. Besides, nothing entertains guests more than seeing a tipsy host/hostess collide with a slideout.

Share 'dem pearls. We love the observations!

Yeah, and did you ever have anybody need something from the basement....you open the bay door, get under there get the item....close the bay door......and come up a little early to catch the bottom edge of the slide trim in the middle of your back.....or, just remember that you also forgot your hardhat prior? That's OK though, keeps me sharp. I still love my big ole wide slide out

Best regards,
W.D.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:48 AM   #65

"who decided that , black and chocolate brown are the ideal colors for all coaches .
What about the heat absorbed, by the dark colors ?"

We went to the Houston RV show in February. It seemed that over half of the coaches and fifth wheels had white leather upholstery. I can't imagine keeping that clean in our home much less while out on the road.
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:04 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
You get what you pay for, ours actually looks like a real fire,
Mike and Cha
Here's a fake fireplace that "looks like" a real fire for only $14.99: https://www.vat19.com/item/ambf

Add that and a 1500 watt electric space heater in any coach and you will get everything a $200+ fake fireplace can provide for less than $35.

(BTW if you want the added ambiance of a crackling fire you can simply turn up the volume).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:17 AM   #67

I see that no one has mentioned the wonderful innovation of having a strip of carpet in front of the kitchen sink.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #68

I am retiring inabout 5 years so started my motorhome research this past year. I was also amazed at the location of the tv in the vast majority of motorhomes. Virtually impossible to watch from the sofa or other main seating without turning your head 180 degrees. Those coaches should come with free chiropractic care.

They say people take the path of least resistance and it is clear that when flat screen tv's became the norm motorhome manufacturers chose the easiest location to place a big screen while totally disregarding the fact that it is virtually unwatchable there.

Thankfully the last few years they have become more creative with angled mid coach locations and tv's on lifts across from the main sofa, recliners, or theater seating.

Still blows my mind though that my favorite coach maker, Tiffin, still only offers the horrible tv position in all the floorplans of their RED models. You have to go down to the gas Allegro or up to the Phateon, Bus or Zephyr to have the choice of a floorplan with logical tv placement.
Notlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:55 AM   #69

Agree on the tiffin red models and their tv locations. As such, I have completely ruled them out and I really like their coaches otherwise
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #70

Alpine Owners Club

The prerequisite to becoming a MH design engineer should be living in one for a year. For those that have the job but have never lived in one I would sentence them to 6 months on the road, never staying in one place for more than a week and 6 months never staying less than a month. I bet you will see more than one design change.

Who was the idiot that decided we all needed carpet, much less beige carpet? I think 90% of MH owners have at least 1 dog (the other 10% want them). What dog wipes his feet before he runs in with his tail wagging like he hasn't seen you for 10 years after walking/running through every mud puddle he could find (only stopping long enough to drink from them). Even morning dew mixed with dust, or worse yet pollen, leaves ghost prints on the floor. Our dog just can't understand we want him to sit on that 2' of tile in the entrance so we can wipe his paws BEFORE he rushes through the coach looking for his long lost friend. We removed the carpet and installed hardwood, at least that can be wiped every 20 minutes. Campgrounds are just that, CAMP GROUNDS they come with puddles and mud, our coaches should NOT have carpeting and designers need to understand that. Instead of giving us a dirt devil option there should be a steam cleaner built in to every coach with carpet!

And who decided that while communing with nature we need smoked mirrors on the living room ceiling (maybe the bedroom, but that's another story)! Highly polished white enamel cabinets, give me a break! Go dump you tanks (or attach/detach the toad) then come in, reach under the cabinet for the hand soap/Purell, this is not rocket science, camping is dirty. Yeah I have a soap dispenser on the counter, but is it the right kind of soap?
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, motorhome, motorhomes